Electric Car News

glhs837

Power with Control

Ford EVs will use Tesla charging tech in surprise partnership between rival automakers

Summary by Ground News

Ford Motor will partner with Tesla on several charging initiatives for its current and future electric vehicles in an unusual tie-up between the two rivals, CEOs of the automakers announced Thursday.
See Above Yes GIF by Dash Home Loans

glhs837

Power with Control
Sounds like a pact spawned between players with a mutual weakness.

As it would to you. If Tesla had a weakness, it was being to only maker to use the NACS plug. Which makes regulators hesitant to declare what's objectively a better connector (smaller, lighter, and able to handle more power) as the North American standard. With the largest player and soon to be the second largest player in the space both using it, it becomes an easier case to make. Fords weakness was selling decent EVs but lots of customer heartache about the crappy charging solutions. This will enable people whose sole reason not to choose Ford was charging to take another look.

But please, tell me what weakness you are referring to.

phreddyp

As it would to you. If Tesla had a weakness, it was being to only maker to use the NACS plug. Which makes regulators hesitant to declare what's objectively a better connector (smaller, lighter, and able to handle more power) as the North American standard. With the largest player and soon to be the second largest player in the space both using it, it becomes an easier case to make. Fords weakness was selling decent EVs but lots of customer heartache about the crappy charging solutions. This will enable people whose sole reason not to choose Ford was charging to take another look.

But please, tell me what weakness you are referring to.
You just answered your own question, no need for me to point it out.

glhs837

Power with Control
You already said it, why would I repeat it?

You see weakness, I see increased strength. You say the networks need to be better. I show you an example of the networks finding ways to get better, and you say its only weakness:) I suppose that's just the way you look at it. You see these companies as failing at this and desperately seeking a way to look good. I see two companies who found a way to ensure that they are leading, or continuing to lead the increasing EV market.

If you were Ford, wouldn't you want to get some of this brand loyalty action? Wouldn't you want to take sales from Toyota and Honda? They are number 2 here in the US for EV sales, and need to do a lot to get even close to number one, but Farley seems to be taking the right steps.

1. Charging network.
2. Direct sales
3. Flexible software
4. Separating the EV side from the hidebound ICE side on both design and engineering.

But he has a lot to slow him down, dealership networks, entrenched stovepiped engineering and design departments. Union contracts.

phreddyp

You see weakness, I see increased strength. You say the networks need to be better. I show you an example of the networks finding ways to get better, and you say its only weakness:) I suppose that's just the way you look at it. You see these companies as failing at this and desperately seeking a way to look good. I see two companies who found a way to ensure that they are leading, or continuing to lead the increasing EV market.

If you were Ford, wouldn't you want to get some of this brand loyalty action? Wouldn't you want to take sales from Toyota and Honda? They are number 2 here in the US for EV sales, and need to do a lot to get even close to number one, but Farley seems to be taking the right steps.

1. Charging network.
2. Direct sales
3. Flexible software
4. Separating the EV side from the hidebound ICE side on both design and engineering.

But he has a lot to slow him down, dealership networks, entrenched stovepiped engineering and design departments. Union contracts.

Boy, you just keep grasping at straws, they both are weak in public charging stations therefor they are making an allegiance to improve the customer experience without have to bear the entire cost themselves. In other words their charging station systems are NOT getting it done, they are both weak in this respect.

Before this is over I would wager that everyone will be able to charge for a price at ANY EV charging station, either by a plug in standard or with an adapter. Just like a service station, but I envision that this is still quite a ways in the future.

Clem72

1. Charging network.
2. Direct sales
3. Flexible software

They have been saying direct sales for at least 2 years. When I can I actually buy a ford through direct sales? I think they are full of crap, they already have the pieces in place with their own financing and distribution network. Use the dealership to take delivery and do warranty work (the high margin stuff they like the most anyways). Shouldn't have taken them more than a weekend with an intern to get it setup.

glhs837

Power with Control
They have been saying direct sales for at least 2 years. When I can I actually buy a ford through direct sales? I think they are full of crap, they already have the pieces in place with their own financing and distribution network. Use the dealership to take delivery and do warranty work (the high margin stuff they like the most anyways). Shouldn't have taken them more than a weekend with an intern to get it setup.

Legally, they cannot, not until they set up a whole different company that's not beholden to the existing distribution and dealership network and doesn't use the UAW for labor. Dealerships make very little on sales, service and parts are the huge moneymaker. And the distribution chain they use now is all Teamsters all the time. You cannot get them onboard to "backstab the UAW" by delivering vehicles that are made by "scabs".

There wont be nearly as much warranty work with far fewer things to go wrong, and virtually all the scheduled maint goes away. With that goes your chance to upsell bs they owner doesn't need. like 30K differential fluid changes or 3,000 mile oil changes. "Injector cleaning". And warranty work is the opposite of high margin.

That's why dealerships don't want to sell EVs. And the UAW doesn't want to make them as it requires a lot less labor, which diminishes their power.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Haven't you been listening?

They said "the batteries are 100% recyclable" and will eventually be replaced by Dilithium Crystal/Unobtanium power cells that will last for a million years before they need replacing.

:bonk:

Clem72

Haven't you been listening?

They said "the batteries are 100% recyclable" and will eventually be replaced by Dilithium Crystal/Unobtanium power cells that will last for a million years before they need replacing.

:bonk:

This is a breakdown of the cells in the average EV battery, and a quick google search seems to indicate the cells are about 60 percent of the weight, with the rest being housing/cabling/etc (mostly easily recycled metals)

So the battery is 30% graphite which you can recycle, or not. It isn't hazardous and is actually used in your water filters and such. About 60% are easily recycled metals (nickel, steel, aluminum, copper), but also can just be chucked in the ground if you don't want to waste time recycling because they're not particularly dangerous.

Around 12% (of that 60% of the battery weight) or about 7% of the total battery weight are the items of concern (cobalt, manganese, and lithium.

So yeah, easily recyclable or if you don't care to recycle easy to separate the overwhelming majority of the material which is safe to chuck wherever.

Again, I know you don't actually care. Hell, that clip is from Australia, shouldn't they just dump the crap off coast to make a new reef or something?

glhs837

Power with Control

This is a breakdown of the cells in the average EV battery, and a quick google search seems to indicate the cells are about 60 percent of the weight, with the rest being housing/cabling/etc (mostly easily recycled metals)

So the battery is 30% graphite which you can recycle, or not. It isn't hazardous and is actually used in your water filters and such. About 60% are easily recycled metals (nickel, steel, aluminum, copper), but also can just be chucked in the ground if you don't want to waste time recycling because they're not particularly dangerous.

Around 12% (of that 60% of the battery weight) or about 7% of the total battery weight are the items of concern (cobalt, manganese, and lithium.

So yeah, easily recyclable or if you don't care to recycle easy to separate the overwhelming majority of the material which is safe to chuck wherever.

Again, I know you don't actually care. Hell, that clip is from Australia, shouldn't they just dump the crap off coast to make a new reef or something?
Facts don't matter. Cracks me up everybody's all about developing infrastructure for problems that haven't happened yet. Cuz you know we placed all the car gas stations and all the junk yards around the country before we started fielding cars. :)

DaSDGuy

Facts don't matter. Cracks me up everybody's all about developing infrastructure for problems that haven't happened yet. Cuz you know we placed all the car gas stations and all the junk yards around the country before we started fielding cars. :)
Not the real issue. The real issue is being forced to go with EV's and we have no choice. Just like you are required to embrace the lgbtqia2s+lifestyle and everyone who doesn't is branded a bigot.

Well, I say if you don't like ICE vehicles you are a bigot. Anyone who disagrees with me is a bigot too.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
No one was subisidizing the industry with taxpayers funds, forcing people to adopt it and preaching from every newspaper, radio and soapbox how they were gonna save the planet from the apocalypse when all that was happening.

glhs837

Power with Control
Not the real issue. The real issue is being forced to go with EV's and we have no choice. Just like you are required to embrace the lgbtqia2s+lifestyle and everyone who doesn't is branded a bigot.

Well, I say if you don't like ICE vehicles you are a bigot. Anyone who disagrees with me is a bigot too.

Love me some ICE vehicles, have a small fleet here. Some of which will need to be pried from my cold dead hands. And I think Ive made it quie clear about a billion times, I dont agree with forced adoption, nor do I agree with subsidies.
No one was subisidizing the industry with taxpayers funds, forcing people to adopt it and preaching from every newspaper, radio and soapbox how they were gonna save the planet from the apocalypse when all that was happening.

While I don agree with subsidies, thinking the oil companies have never been the beneficiaries of govt action is pretty blind. We've effed up entire countries for oil. But yet again, we agree that the govt shouldn't be forcing the issue.

Clem72

Ahem.

I know self-awareness isn't your strong point but do you even think before you type? Oil/Gas might be the most heavily subsidized industry in the history of the world.