Electric Car News

phreddyp

Not sure 48 minutes is 30% of nine hours. But hey, do your own math. :)

Isnt the below exactly that? :)

Isnt the above exactly that? :)

So lets do Tennessee. You didn't say where, but my roots go back to the LaFollete, so lets go there. Goggle says its a nine hour drive. Tesla router says thats three stops in the Model 3 Long range. About an hour total.

A Better Route Planner says the same thing.

As for the attraction, ignore all the save the planet blahblah blah. I dont mind fixing cars, fix mine myself. But I do also like the idea of a vehicle that requires almost no maint, and reduces my task load when driving long boring stretches. And the power delivery? Petty damn cool on the "low powered" ones. And I say that having been able to do a few laps around Michelins test track in SC in a Viper.
Yep, I'll lose an hour over the course of a 10 hour drive I take 2-3 times a year. But I'm also saving 5-10 minutes every week and a half or week that I'm not filling up. Call that between 1.5 to 2 hours a year. So the time spent is really a wash.
Yep, sounds like fun to me, adult version of hide and seek! Please keep us informed when YOU purchase one.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, sounds like fun to me, adult version of hide and seek! Please keep us informed when YOU purchase one.

What, the software literally takes you right to them. PRetty crappy game when one side gives you exact locations where they will be.

And I sure will. Not like you'll be able to miss the damn thing :) Since this is what I'll be buying unless they really drop the ball on specs or price.

tesla-cybertruck-release-candidate-e1687721376550.jpeg

Right now I'm at the end of renting a Model 3 for a week while in FL for work. Charging's been super easy. One pedal driving is pretty nice also.

phreddyp

What, the software literally takes you right to them. PRetty crappy game when one side gives you exact locations where they will be.

And I sure will. Not like you'll be able to miss the damn thing :) Since this is what I'll be buying unless they really drop the ball on specs or price.

View attachment 171309

Right now I'm at the end of renting a Model 3 for a week while in FL for work. Charging's been super easy. One pedal driving is pretty nice also.
Rentin ain't the same as buyin.

glhs837

Power with Control
Rentin ain't the same as buyin.
Well of course not but I'm not going to buy one until they make the one that meets my needs. I need to tow occasionally, carry large/heavy loads. So until they do, this was a good way to see if I was really going to be okay with the touch screen interface and Tesla's way of doing things.

So far I'm fine.

phreddyp

Well of course not but I'm not going to buy one until they make the one that meets my needs. I need to tow occasionally, carry large/heavy loads. So until they do, this was a good way to see if I was really going to be okay with the touch screen interface and Tesla's way of doing things.

So far I'm fine.
So in other words, they ain't ready for prime time yet. Thought so.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Electric Cars Are An Expensive Scam

Which is why there is no real “emerging market” for EVs in the United States as much as there’s an industrial policy in place that props up EVs with government purchases, propaganda, endless state subsidies, cronyism, taxpayer-backed loans, and edicts. The green “revolution” is an elite-driven, top-down technocratic project.

And it’s increasingly clear that the only reason giant rent-seeking carmakers are so heavily invested in EV development is that government is promising to artificially limit the production of gas-powered cars.

In March, Joe Biden signed an executive order to “set a target” for half of all new vehicles sold in 2030 to be zero-emission. California claims it is banning combustion engines in all new cars in about 10 years. So carmakers adopt business models to deal with these distorted incentives and contrived theoretical markets of the future.

In today’s real-world economy, though, Ford announced this week that it was firing at least 1,000 employees — many of them white-collar workers on the EV side. Ford projects it’s going to lose $3 billion on electric vehicles in 2023, bringing its EV losses to $5.1 billion over two years. In 2021, Ford reportedly lost $34,000 on every EV it made. This year it was losing more than $58,000 on every EV. In a normal world, Ford would be dramatically scaling back EV production, not expanding it. Remember that next time we need to bail out Detroit.

Then again, we’re already bailing them out, I suppose. Last week, the U.S. Energy Department lent Ford — again, a company that loses tens of thousands of dollars on every EV it sells another $9.2 billion in taxpayer dollars for a South Korean battery project. One imagines no sane bank would do it. The cost of EV batteries has gone up, not down, over the past few years.

Ford says these up-front losses are part of a “start-up mentality.” We’re still pretending EVs are a new idea rather than an inferior one. But scaremongering about climate and a misplaced romanticizing of “manufacturing” jobs have softened up the public for this kind of waste. In the statist’s utopian vision, highly paid union members will be grabbing their lunchpails and biking over to the local solar panel factory or EV production line and toiling there for the common good.

Kinnakeet

Isnt the below exactly that? :)

Isnt the above exactly that? :)

So lets do Tennessee. You didn't say where, but my roots go back to the LaFollete, so lets go there. Goggle says its a nine hour drive. Tesla router says thats three stops in the Model 3 Long range. About an hour total.

A Better Route Planner says the same thing.

As for the attraction, ignore all the save the planet blahblah blah. I dont mind fixing cars, fix mine myself. But I do also like the idea of a vehicle that requires almost no maint, and reduces my task load when driving long boring stretches. And the power delivery? Petty damn cool on the "low powered" ones. And I say that having been able to do a few laps around Michelins test track in SC in a Viper.
Yep, I'll lose an hour over the course of a 10 hour drive I take 2-3 times a year. But I'm also saving 5-10 minutes every week and a half or week that I'm not filling up. Call that between 1.5 to 2 hours a year. So the time spent is really a wash.
OMG

Kinnakeet

So far I'm fine.
youll probably be 6 feet under when they make 1 that can tow more than a pebble...
But wait Im sure you will have a say on this also like always...lol

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member

Whatever, Dude.

In 44 years of Driving I have NEVER had to take a book with me to refuel my car because it was going to be 25-45 minutes.

It was 10 tops.

But you go on with your bad self preaching the Gospel According to Greta on these glorified Golf Carts and have fun. :lmao:

glhs837

Power with Control
youll probably be 6 feet under when they make 1 that can tow more than a pebble...
But wait Im sure you will have a say on this also like always...lol

No idea when mine will be available, but we'll know for sure what they can do before December. Might e as bad as the Lightning, in which case I'll et my hundred back and walk away.
Whatever, Dude.

In 44 years of Driving I have NEVER had to take a book with me to refuel my car because it was going to be 25-45 minutes.

It was 10 tops.

But you go on with your bad self preaching the Gospel According to Greta on these glorified Golf Carts and have fun. :lmao:

What, you throw out made up numbers, I'll call it.:) And you must not be paying attention, I feel the same way about Greta and the global warming folks as you do. But I also like the idea of not wasting 10 minutes a week for 49 weeks of the year. Just 10 seconds a day connecting a cable when I get home and unhooking it in the morning. :) And not doing oil changes and air filter changes, and spark plug changes. Oh, and brakes. Dont mind doing them, but it will be nice to have one in the stable that isn't asking for those things. Last two brake changes on the wife Jeep were about $200 each.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
No idea when mine will be available, but we'll know for sure what they can do before December. Might e as bad as the Lightning, in which case I'll et my hundred back and walk away.
I'm using the information you're disciples put on on print, web and television.

Dont' blame me if they're using a heretical chapter.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
What, you throw out made up numbers, I'll call it.:) And you must not be paying attention, I feel the same way about Greta and the global warming folks as you do. But I also like the idea of not wasting 10 minutes a week for 49 weeks of the year. Just 10 seconds a day connecting a cable when I get home and unhooking it in the morning. :) And not doing oil changes and air filter changes, and spark plug changes. Oh, and brakes. Dont mind doing them, but it will be nice to have one in the stable that isn't asking for those things. Last two brake changes on the wife Jeep were about $200 each.

No. Instead they got you to pony up all the money you might have spent on that and gave it to them up front for doing nothing.

:yay: :yay: Good trade.

glhs837

Power with Control
I'm using the information you're disciples put on on print, web and television.

Dont' blame me if they're using a heretical chapter.
Who said that a nine hour trip costs 3 hours of charging? See, you are like someone taking CNNs position on conservatives as gospel. :) Some idiot reporter gets an EV, puts no research or thought into what they are doing, decide to ignore the car when it tells them to charge and then they get stranded? Those are not thinking people. :)
No. Instead they got you to pony up all the money you might have spent on that and gave it to them up front for doing nothing.

:yay: :yay: Good trade.

Nothing? If I get a vehicle of equal or better capabilities for a equal or better price, that's not a bad trade. The Model 3 I'm driving around here in Florida for a week isnt a good EV, its a good car. Comfortable, capable, and quick. 40K before any tax breaks. Seats five comfortably, huge trunk, second trunk up front. Awesome nav, great HVAC, 0-60 in under 6 seconds.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member

More and more Americans don't want electric cars​

• Americans are getting more divided on electric vehicles.
  • While EVs gain market share, more and more people say don't want one as their next car.
  • Factors repelling buyers from EVs include long charging times, lack of charging stations, and high pricing.
High purchase price and lack of charging stations were the most-cited reasons for not wanting an EV, followed by limited driving range and time required to charge. Respondents were also concerned about EV performance in extreme temperatures, cost of ownership, lack of repair shops, reliability, and power outages.

glhs837

Power with Control

More and more Americans don't want electric cars​

• Americans are getting more divided on electric vehicles.
  • While EVs gain market share, more and more people say don't want one as their next car.
  • Factors repelling buyers from EVs include long charging times, lack of charging stations, and high pricing.

So the real headline there is while
21% won't consider an EV that means 79% will. Market share went good from 4% to 7% from 2021 to 2022. Want to bet what the numbers look like in December? Maybe not that much of a gain, given the economy, but it will grow.
Let's see. Company decides to stop serving not profitable market, a move we around here defend when Walgreens is losing money in SF. They offer customers affected a refund. Those that choose not to get a gag gift. Sense of humor. It's a thing.

As for why it's not profitable, quite simple. They sell relatively few Model S and X globally. Under 40k I think. When you think of the production cost of making and shipping a few thousand of them for what's essentially two markets, both of which are thousands of miles from the only factory that makes them.... That choice makes sense.