Electric Car News

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Nope but millions of sales is a pretty good indicator. :) Tesla alone has sold over 4.5 million cars. And that number increases significantly every year. Two of the factories haven't hit full production yet.

Hummmm. Thinking that in about 5 years or so, maybe less, there's gonna be a huge recycling problem. Not just for those Teslas, but for all the other EV manufacturers as well. And/or a problem of those cars needing their batteries replaced when they don't hold a full charge anymore, let alone half a charge. And/or many more battery fires due to many miles of road use that over time rattles and shakes the car and battery pack, dinging and damage from road debris, too many hot and cold heat cycles, (thermal expansion and contraction), etc., causing the battery to enter into a runaway fire scenarios.

The cart before the horse here is that none of these future events have actually been planned for, or simply put on the back burner to focus on sales only.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member

Hummmm. Thinking that in about 5 years or so, maybe less, there's gonna be a huge recycling problem. Not just for those Teslas, but for all the other EV manufacturers as well. And/or a problem of those cars needing their batteries replaced when they don't hold a full charge anymore, let alone half a charge. And/or many more battery fires due to many miles of road use that over time rattles and shakes the car and battery pack, dinging and damage from road debris, too many hot and cold heat cycles, (thermal expansion and contraction), etc., causing the battery to enter into a runaway fire scenarios.

The cart before the horse here is that none of these future events have actually been planned for, or simply put on the back burner to focus on sales only.
The battery fires will help Global Climate Warming Change and provide Equity, Inclusion and Diversity to end White Supremacy and Sys-Genderism.

glhs837

Power with Control

So the oldest ones are over 10 years old and doing okay. And yes, people are thinking of recycling. The problem Redwood has is that there are not enough batteries yet because they are lasting so long.

Degradation, data still coming in, since the new generation stuff isnt that old, looks like the "only holds half charge" isnt going to be a thing. You get an initial hit, which then tapers off and it holds at a very low to nil rate. So we should see 300-500K on cylindrical cells. AS for damage over time, again, some of the older, less robust packs have done quite a few miles, over 200K and the "fire due to vibration" simply hasn't happened.

phreddyp

So the oldest ones are over 10 years old and doing okay. And yes, people are thinking of recycling. The problem Redwood has is that there are not enough batteries yet because they are lasting so long.

Degradation, data still coming in, since the new generation stuff isnt that old, looks like the "only holds half charge" isnt going to be a thing. You get an initial hit, which then tapers off and it holds at a very low to nil rate. So we should see 300-500K on cylindrical cells. AS for damage over time, again, some of the older, less robust packs have done quite a few miles, over 200K and the "fire due to vibration" simply hasn't happened.

Junk is junk no matter how many are sold. Remember there is a sucker born every minute! Now many are easy to spot just go to any charging station.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Driver says he was 'trapped' in hot Tesla after battery died

An Arizona man says he was trapped in his Tesla in the extreme heat after the power died and he didn't know how to escape.

Investigators at Scripps News Phoenix found dozens of drivers have filed complaints with federal auto safety regulators who are urging car owners to learn how to manually get out in an emergency.

"It's definitely a safety concern; it was one of the hotter days," said 73-year-old Rick Meggison.

He said he was stuck in his Tesla Model Y in his garage back in June.

"I couldn't open the doors. I couldn't lower the windows. The computer was dead, so I couldn't open the glove box. I couldn't open anything." Meggison said his main lithium-ion battery, what's needed to propel his electric car, had plenty of range.

He later learned a separate 12-volt battery in his Tesla Model Y died after he opened the door, and he said he was trapped inside on a 100° day for 20 minutes. The low-voltage battery powers what's inside a Tesla including the doors, computer display, and windows.

"Being caught in there for a couple hours could be dangerous," he said.

Meggison said he eventually called his sister who somehow got the passenger door to open through the Tesla app, but it cracked his window. He said he had to call a tow truck to take his Tesla to the company's service center. His invoice reads, "Car won't power on… remove and replace 12v battery."

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Ah, the wonder of the Electric car.

Making simple mechanical things much more complicated and unreliable for your ecological pleasure.

On the plus side, if he cooked in the car, he wouldn't be creating more of that nasty CO2.

glhs837

Power with Control

Driver says he was 'trapped' in hot Tesla after battery died

An Arizona man says he was trapped in his Tesla in the extreme heat after the power died and he didn't know how to escape.

Investigators at Scripps News Phoenix found dozens of drivers have filed complaints with federal auto safety regulators who are urging car owners to learn how to manually get out in an emergency.

"It's definitely a safety concern; it was one of the hotter days," said 73-year-old Rick Meggison.

He said he was stuck in his Tesla Model Y in his garage back in June.

"I couldn't open the doors. I couldn't lower the windows. The computer was dead, so I couldn't open the glove box. I couldn't open anything." Meggison said his main lithium-ion battery, what's needed to propel his electric car, had plenty of range.

He later learned a separate 12-volt battery in his Tesla Model Y died after he opened the door, and he said he was trapped inside on a 100° day for 20 minutes. The low-voltage battery powers what's inside a Tesla including the doors, computer display, and windows.

"Being caught in there for a couple hours could be dangerous," he said.

Meggison said he eventually called his sister who somehow got the passenger door to open through the Tesla app, but it cracked his window. He said he had to call a tow truck to take his Tesla to the company's service center. His invoice reads, "Car won't power on… remove and replace 12v battery."

Jebus, RTFM. Its not very hard, in fact, Tesla changed the button to add a graphic because folks kept using the emergency handle.

Model Y Door handle.jpg

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Jebus, RTFM. Its not very hard, in fact, Tesla changed the button to add a graphic because folks kept using the emergency handle.

Really? Some things... Basic things, should not be so convoluted that it requires the manual.

Opening the ****ing Door is one of those basic things.

:doh:

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
It's really not convoluted. If button doesn't work, lift the damn lever. You shouldn't really need manual for that.
Well the fact that more than just one are not finding it, over and over, reflects very poorly on the EV engineers design, the types of people that buy them, or both.

In the meantime, I'll keep reflexively opening the door to my GASOLINE truck and stepping out without being trapped.

glhs837

Power with Control
Well the fact that more than just one are not finding it, over and over, reflects very poorly on the EV engineers design, the types of people that buy them, or both.

In the meantime, I'll keep reflexively opening the door to my GASOLINE truck and stepping out without being trapped.
Think of it as weeding out the idiots. I mean if "more than one person screwed it up" is the bar we are setting.......

DaSDGuy

EV Maintenance Manual Professional tip :

1691676142399.jpeg

glhs837

Power with Control
This makes it sound like the cyber truck is going to be more conventional body on frame construction, maybe that's the reason for the delay. https://www.notebookcheck.net/Cyber...t-is-no-longer-viable-for-Tesla.739926.0.html

Since I have one reserved, I follow this pretty closely. I don't think my ideas will be proven out til Munro does a teardown. Which shouldn't happen too far after launch. He has multiple ones reserved and commitments from some folks really early in the line to give him their trucks for teardown in return for one of his.

Here's what I think. This image, from the reveal, sort of shows up that there was always going to be an inner structure for things like the seat belts and dashboard and rear things like the vault door to attach to. And the images that we've seen of that structure, IMO show it to be far lighter than what a BIW normally looks like. I think the exo is still real and still carries a substantial portion of the loads for the vehicle. I think the delay is more due to needing to develop the machinery for producing the exo, in whatever shape it is at auto assembly line speeds, and the new HPDC machines for the front and rear castings, through a pandemic.

Again, we wont know if I'm right or wrong til maybe early middle next year, but thats my thoughts

Cybertruck from Electrek.jpg

cybertruck_03_Desktop8990 (1).jpg