Electric Car News

glhs837

Power with Control
I never understood the people down here the buy a new Mercedes or BMW and have to take it to Alexandria all the time. I get the enthusiasts that buy ones that are five years old and cheap as dirt because they lost all their value, but the people that pay $100k for a new one and have to take it 2hours away quite often.... Had a coworker that bought a convertible M3, she cursed that car all the time, most of the issue she had was just the logistics of getting it there.

Yep, depends on how often it needs service and what you can do yourself. "All the time" is the key. If it needs service "quite often" you maybe bought the wrong vehicle. Especially in these days of 7,000 mile oil changes.

PeoplesElbow

Yep, depends on how often it needs service and what you can do yourself. "All the time" is the key. If it needs service "quite often" you maybe bought the wrong vehicle. Especially in these days of 7,000 mile oil changes.
Especially with that well known BMW reliability. She grew to hate that car with a passion.

I don't like Tesla's model for service at all. Read about too many people that didn't live in major hub areas having issues with it.

Many years ago DoD bought a bunch of commercial trucks and they decided to rely on the factory warranty to cover maintenance costs, Tesla's service model reminds me of this, a half ass idea. I'd consider buying the F-150 lightning after things normalize, but I'm still a big proponent of plug in hybrids instead of BEVs, I bet the Toyota Tunda will have what I want before anything else.

glhs837

Power with Control
Especially with that well known BMW reliability. She grew to hate that car with a passion.

I don't like Tesla's model for service at all. Read about too many people that didn't live in major hub areas having issues with it.

Many years ago DoD bought a bunch of commercial trucks and they decided to rely on the factory warranty to cover maintenance costs, Tesla's service model reminds me of this, a half ass idea. I'd consider buying the F-150 lightning after things normalize, but I'm still a big proponent of plug in hybrids instead of BEVs, I bet the Toyota Tunda will have what I want before anything else.

So it seems folks down here can have a hard time scheduling a mobile service visit specifically to St Marys. Seems they will meet you in Solomons or Mechanicsville. I'm not too worried about it myself, Things I cant do, I have flex time so a run to either place doesnt phase me.

PeoplesElbow

So it seems folks down here can have a hard time scheduling a mobile service visit specifically to St Marys. Seems they will meet you in Solomons or Mechanicsville. I'm not too worried about it myself, Things I cant do, I have flex time so a run to either place doesnt phase me.
So what do they do fix the car in the McDonalds parking lot or something?

phreddyp

There is a reason why Ford is looking to jump start hybrids again, ignore it at your own peril.

glhs837

Power with Control
So what do they do fix the car in the McDonalds parking lot or something?

Depends, I suppose. And of course some work cant be done that way. Really, the back end of any parking lot would do. One guy, wis wife works in Mechanicsville, so it was in the parking lot where she works, the guy talking about Solomons said it was the parking lot of the hotel near the Ruddy Duck. In that sense, think of like a windshield replacement.

glhs837

Power with Control
There is a reason why Ford is looking to jump start hybrids again, ignore it at your own peril.

Are they jump starting, or just keeping the ones they have alive? A lot of markets, even here in the US, they and the customer get credit for an EV even for a hybrid. A Jeep hybrid that gets like 12 mpg off the 40 mile battery qualifies for a $3500 tax credit.

PeoplesElbow

Depends, I suppose. And of course some work cant be done that way. Really, the back end of any parking lot would do. One guy, wis wife works in Mechanicsville, so it was in the parking lot where she works, the guy talking about Solomons said it was the parking lot of the hotel near the Ruddy Duck. In that sense, think of like a windshield replacement.
I wonder if they have permission for that or just have you bring the car there and go at it.

I use to make fun of a ghetto tire store on Great Mills Road for jacking the car up out front and changing tires.

phreddyp

Are they jump starting, or just keeping the ones they have alive? A lot of markets, even here in the US, they and the customer get credit for an EV even for a hybrid. A Jeep hybrid that gets like 12 mpg off the 40 mile battery qualifies for a $3500 tax credit.
Sounds to me that they have seen the light that hybrids are the way to go. From an article I saw this morning.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

If cars were battery powered in the past, and didn't stick around, what makes anyone thing that today's battery powered cars will stick around? Doesn't history repeat itself or rhyme or something of that nature apply to this situation?

glhs837

Power with Control
Sounds to me that they have seen the light that hybrids are the way to go. From an article I saw this morning.

Dont suppose you have a link, I went looking but didnt find anything that suggested some shift in Fords thought process.

Never mind, found it.

To be clear, Ford isn’t turning away from its much-touted EV push, though it said Thursday that its EV ramp-up may take longer than it had previously anticipated.

For your consideration ...

If cars were battery powered in the past, and didn't stick around, what makes anyone thing that today's battery powered cars will stick around? Doesn't history repeat itself or rhyme or something of that nature apply to this situation?

Because technology got better.

I wonder if they have permission for that or just have you bring the car there and go at it.

I use to make fun of a ghetto tire store on Great Mills Road for jacking the car up out front and changing tires.

Not sure. Curtis? Best tire shop around. Love those guys.

PeoplesElbow

No, this was some short lived place up near that sewing machine/vacuum cleaner store, I think Rosies was still there at the time.

Curtis gets the thumbs up from me too, not much to look at but my favorite tire place around.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Curtis? Best tire shop around. Love those guys.
I used to think so. Not anymore. Last 2 trips there were disappointing. Had new tires put on, 25 lbs in one, 50 in another. Scratched the crap out of my rims. Asked for the tranny fluid and filter to be changed. Said they did. Requires that the exhaust be dropped to get the pan off. It was obviously not removed. They didn't change the filter (verified when I had another shop do the task correctly and confirm the filter was original). Shorted me a quart of oil on an oil change.

These are simple tasks. I shouldn't have to follow up and check their work on such simple jobs. Can't recommend them. I think Curtis just doesn't care anymore.

glhs837

Power with Control
I used to think so. Not anymore. Last 2 trips there were disappointing. Had new tires put on, 25 lbs in one, 50 in another. Scratched the crap out of my rims. Asked for the tranny fluid and filter to be changed. Said they did. Requires that the exhaust be dropped to get the pan off. It was obviously not removed. They didn't change the filter (verified when I had another shop do the task correctly and confirm the filter was original). Shorted me a quart of oil on an oil change.

These are simple tasks. I shouldn't have to follow up and check their work on such simple jobs. Can't recommend them. I think Curtis just doesn't care anymore.
Hmmm, I've not been in maybe a year or so, and that was a simple tire change.

PeoplesElbow

Did I hear the old man died? I've not been in a while.

PeoplesElbow

If apple made a car

Attachments

• img_2_1690801624883~2.jpg
    img_2_1690801624883~2.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 35

phreddyp

Dont suppose you have a link, I went looking but didnt find anything that suggested some shift in Fords thought process.

Never mind, found it.

Because technology got better.

Better does not mean ready for prime time!

glhs837

Power with Control
Better does not mean ready for prime time!

Nope but millions of sales is a pretty good indicator. :) Tesla alone has sold over 4.5 million cars. And that number increases significantly every year. Two of the factories haven't hit full production yet.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Nope but millions of sales is a pretty good indicator. :) Tesla alone has sold over 4.5 million cars. And that number increases significantly every year. Two of the factories haven't hit full production yet.
And millions of Chia Pets and Pet Rocks have been sold too. :lmao: