Electric Car News

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Man forced to ditch Ford EV truck during family road trip to Chicago: ‘biggest scam of modern times’

Bala said he was initially motivated to buy an environmentally friendly vehicle as owning one is 'responsible citizenship'

A Canadian man is calling electric vehicles the "biggest scam of modern times" after his frustrating experience with an electric truck.

Dalbir Bala, who lives in the Winnipeg area, bought a Ford F150 Lightning EV in January for $115,000 Canadian dollars, plus tax, which translate to $77,495 in U.S. dollars, according to the Manufactuers Suggested Retail Price [MRSP]

He told FOX Business he needed the vehicle for his work, but also wanted something suitable for recreational activities such as driving to his cabin or going fishing. He also wanted an environmentally friendly vehicle as owning one is "responsible citizenship these days."

Not long after the purchase, Bala got into a minor accident which, he said, required "light assembly" on the front bumper. Bala took the vehicle to the body shop and did not get it back for six months. He said no one from Ford answered his email or phone calls for help.

The limitations of the EV truck became even more apparent when Bala embarked on a chaotic 1,400-mile road trip to Chicago.

Fast charging stations – which only charge EV’s up to 90% – cost more than gas for the same mileage. On the family’s first stop in Fargo, North Dakota, it took two hours and $56 to charge his vehicle from 10% to 90%. The charge was good for another 215 miles.

glhs837

Power with Control
Man forced to ditch Ford EV truck during family road trip to Chicago: ‘biggest scam of modern times’

Bala said he was initially motivated to buy an environmentally friendly vehicle as owning one is 'responsible citizenship'

A Canadian man is calling electric vehicles the "biggest scam of modern times" after his frustrating experience with an electric truck.

Dalbir Bala, who lives in the Winnipeg area, bought a Ford F150 Lightning EV in January for $115,000 Canadian dollars, plus tax, which translate to $77,495 in U.S. dollars, according to the Manufactuers Suggested Retail Price [MRSP]

He told FOX Business he needed the vehicle for his work, but also wanted something suitable for recreational activities such as driving to his cabin or going fishing. He also wanted an environmentally friendly vehicle as owning one is "responsible citizenship these days."

Not long after the purchase, Bala got into a minor accident which, he said, required "light assembly" on the front bumper. Bala took the vehicle to the body shop and did not get it back for six months. He said no one from Ford answered his email or phone calls for help.

The limitations of the EV truck became even more apparent when Bala embarked on a chaotic 1,400-mile road trip to Chicago.

Fast charging stations – which only charge EV’s up to 90% – cost more than gas for the same mileage. On the family’s first stop in Fargo, North Dakota, it took two hours and $56 to charge his vehicle from 10% to 90%. The charge was good for another 215 miles.

Subtitled - Man refuses to research product he's buying, gets angry when he finds out its not suitable for his use case.

Nobody really has an excuse. Really. Look up the product, talk to people who own them. Fox has an axe to grind and always includes untrue things regarding EVs.
A) Any charging station can charge you to 100%. But that last 10 % takes a lot longer. But two hours means that station was not operating properly.
B) About the charge time. I repeat myself endlessly on this one. Charging networks other than Tesla suck. Relying on them without doing your homework is about as stupid as listening to ad materials to get product knowledge.
C) Repair times like that can happen to any newly designed vehicle.

Until every maker gets on the Supercharger network, road tripping with any other make is a crap shoot. Which is only two years away, but still.

phreddyp

Subtitled - Man refuses to research product he's buying, gets angry when he finds out its not suitable for his use case.

Nobody really has an excuse. Really. Look up the product, talk to people who own them. Fox has an axe to grind and always includes untrue things regarding EVs.
A) Any charging station can charge you to 100%. But that last 10 % takes a lot longer. But two hours means that station was not operating properly.
B) About the charge time. I repeat myself endlessly on this one. Charging networks other than Tesla suck. Relying on them without doing your homework is about as stupid as listening to ad materials to get product knowledge.

Until every maker gets on the Supercharger network, road tripping with any other make is a crap shoot. Which is only two years away, but still.
Give it up bro!

glhs837

Power with Control
Hmmmmm......

https://www.zdf.de/nachrichten/pano...bergung-schiff-frachter-autos-gefahr-100.html Have Google translate for you.

1. Article states
The cause was probably the battery of an electric car.
But fails to give any reason for that statement.

2. We know it was a bit less than 500 EVs on board. And later in the article we see this... Bolding mine
The inspection has now revealed that the bottom four of the 12 decks are largely undamaged. Also, about 1,000 cars, including 500 electric ones, are in good condition at first glance, Berdowski said. But it is still unclear how they can be recovered.

So it looks like it was just another container ship fire, and had not a thing to do with the EVs on board since they were on the largely undamaged decks.

Grumpy

Hmmmmm......

https://www.zdf.de/nachrichten/pano...bergung-schiff-frachter-autos-gefahr-100.html Have Google translate for you.

1. Article states

But fails to give any reason for that statement.

2. We know it was a bit less than 500 EVs on board. And later in the article we see this... Bolding mine

So it looks like it was just another container ship fire, and had not a thing to do with the EVs on board since they were on the largely undamaged decks.
Who is 'we'?? Was that stated in the article? I don't see it. Maybe the translation isn't picking it up, is there another article stating there was only 500 EVs on board??, As asked...who is 'we'?

glhs837

Power with Control
Who is 'we'?? Was that stated in the article? I don't see it. Maybe the translation isn't picking it up, is there another article stating there was only 500 EVs on board??, As asked...who is 'we'?

And there are a lot more articles, but it all sources back to the Dutch authorities.

glhs837

Power with Control
yahoo opinion piece??? Neber mind...:lol:
Fine then..... Both of the below reports attribute the 498 number to the operator of the ship, K-Line. The one I posted earlier sourced that information from the Dutch govt organization tasked with dealing with the mess. If you would like more sources, feel free to go find them. :) If you can find other sources that show more than that, let me know. :)

PeoplesElbow

A level 2 will take 2+ hours, didn't think the Ford's could do super charging.

PeoplesElbow

There are non Tesla level three chargers, which is what the story implies to three houra
Ford quoted 45 minutes for 15% to 80%

This is where electric vehicles will face a big hurdle with the public. The ole "Its better to have range and not need it than need it and not have it" or its better to be able to fill up a tank in 5 minutes blah blah.

And as I stated before women don't want to fuss with pluging in their car, when I had a sales job one summer the guy that came in and trained us told use women make the decision on 80% of the money spent per household.

I agree that the guy was stupid, but when there is that one time, one possibility that an electric vehicle will fail someone's needs, that matters greatly in the decision to purchase.

glhs837

Power with Control
Ford quoted 45 minutes for 15% to 80%

This is where electric vehicles will face a big hurdle with the public. The ole "Its better to have range and not need it than need it and not have it" or its better to be able to fill up a tank in 5 minutes blah blah.

And as I stated before women don't want to fuss with pluging in their car, when I had a sales job one summer the guy that came in and trained us told use women make the decision on 80% of the money spent per household.

I agree that the guy was stupid, but when there is that one time, one possibility that an electric vehicle will fail someone's needs, that matters greatly in the decision to purchase.

Not sure why the Ford takes so long except being inefficient, it carries pretty big battery, and as noted other charge networks. Ah, here it is. Its inthe implementation, as always.

I really think plugging in at home at the end of the day is a no brainer, male or female. Grab cord, insert. For 99% of most peoples annual driving, that's the experience.

PeoplesElbow

Not sure why the Ford takes so long except being inefficient, it carries pretty big battery, and as noted other charge networks. Ah, here it is. Its inthe implementation, as always.

I really think plugging in at home at the end of the day is a no brainer, male or female. Grab cord, insert. For 99% of most peoples annual driving, that's the experience.
There is that time that they may forget that nags them into thinking they don't want it.

Almost every woman I know is of the "I don't want to have to plug in my car" camp.

PeoplesElbow

My wife is an MSEE, does not think the technology is mature enough to go big.
I think most of the hurdles are psychological, but that is also the reason SUVs are so popular, they handle the majority of needs somewhat well. I can get something large into the cargo area that would otherwise require a truck but they drive like a car and the cargo is inside to protect it unlike a truck. Other than hauling really big things or messy things and SUV meets the needs of most all the time. An electric car would meet the needs of most, but only part of the time.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
An electric car would meet the needs of most, but only part of the time.
:yay: Which is why they're gonna be nothing more than a niche market for the foreseeable future.

The one place they'd be handy, city driving, unless you have a garage (which is rare) you'll be forced to do all your charging at a premium price.