Fallen Satellite could kill many if direct hit

raven

I SAID IT YES I DID !
Uncle Sam has given orders to try to shoot down the falling satellite.
It's show down time.

willie

From the Washington Post:
Before today's announcement, many experts in the field said that the danger of anyone being harmed by the falling satellite were extremely small, since it will explode when it plows into the atmosphere.

ImnoMensa

This certainly is by no means the first satellite to enter the atmosphere and burn up.
I doubt it is the largest.

This plan to shoot it down sets my cynical conspirical thoughts in gear.

Didn't the Chinese shoot down one of their own satellites a few weeks ago? Wasn't that done to show us they could do it?

Aren't we in effect showing the Chinese we can do it too? Is that the sinister plot behind this all of a sudden decision to shoot down a satellite?

edinsomd

This certainly is by no means the first satellite to enter the atmosphere and burn up.
I doubt it is the largest.

This plan to shoot it down sets my cynical conspirical thoughts in gear.

Didn't the Chinese shoot down one of their own satellites a few weeks ago? Wasn't that done to show us they could do it?

Aren't we in effect showing the Chinese we can do it too? Is that the sinister plot behind this all of a sudden decision to shoot down a satellite?

They didn't actually "shoot down" their weather sat, the Chinese hit it with an A-SAT missile and trashed another low earth orbit with the debris. There is little doubt the US has had this capability for years. Our trick will be to put enough English on the hit to make the wreckage land on Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's house.
Ed

PsyOps

Pixelated
They didn't actually "shoot down" their weather sat, the Chinese hit it with an A-SAT missile and trashed another low earth orbit with the debris. There is little doubt the US has had this capability for years. Our trick will be to put enough English on the hit to make the wreckage land on Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's house.
Ed

Why does it have to be English. Why can't it be Muslim?

Christy

b*tch rocket
From the Washington Post:
Before today's announcement, many experts in the field said that the danger of anyone being harmed by the falling satellite were extremely small, since it will explode when it plows into the atmosphere.

Damnit! I was hoping for a direct hit on the steroid hearings. :ohwell:

In January 2007, China used a land-based missile to destroy a 2,200-pound satellite that was orbiting 528 miles above Earth.

The impact left more than 150,000 pieces of debris floating above Earth, NASA estimates.

NASA has called it the worst satellite breakup in history.

Officials: U.S. to try to shoot down errant satellite - CNN.com

Everyone is freaking out over the hydrazine tanks - if it re-enters, the tanks are going to melt and the hydrazine will instantly vaporize.

We have had errant launches where the rocket blows, which in turns causes the payload to explode... the hydrazine gets released into the atmosphere and no :jameo: has happened yet.

I think there is more to the story than just a hydrazine issue... :coffee:

raven

I SAID IT YES I DID !
It will hit the sun

Dumb question- where does that missile go if it misses?

It will hit the sun and we will be in the dark ages forever!
If the satellite falls on my land the government will have to pay me billions to get it back. Or I will sell it on E-Bay for billions.:lmao:

Everyone is freaking out over the hydrazine tanks - if it re-enters, the tanks are going to melt and the hydrazine will instantly vaporize.

We have had errant launches where the rocket blows, which in turns causes the payload to explode... the hydrazine gets released into the atmosphere and no :jameo: has happened yet.

I think there is more to the story than just a hydrazine issue... :coffee:

When the shuttle burned up upon reentry there weren't many pieces big enough to worry about. Pretty much the same thing. I suspect they just want to demonstrate that they can do it.

MMDad

Lem Putt
If the satellite falls on my land the government will have to pay me billions to get it back. Or I will sell it on E-Bay for billions.:lmao:

Take it directly to the Chinese Embassy. They will pay you billions for it.

I doubt the fuel is actually the reason they're shooting it down. They just don't want it getting into the wrong hands. Not much point though, since the Clintons already gave China the technology anyway.