Favorite "Hair Band" and Song

fttrsbeerwench

Kix all the way.If you like them then you sould go www.funnymoneyband.com Thats Steve Whitemans new band he has some of the guys from kix with him to.A few time a year the put on kix's shows with just about the whole kix band.I've gone and seen funny money 4 times and Steve can puts a show a every time.

What even happened to that other Kix spin-off band Jeremy and the suicides??
I used to go see then AGES ago up in Baltimore..

I was glam all the way until I really listened to :
Metallica... Welcome Home(Sanitarium) :dude:
After that I was strictly hardcore.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
beachbunny said:
Warrant - Cherry Pie

Bump with new information: VH1 Classic is running "Heavy: The Story of Metal" this month. The guitarist from Warrant expressed regret for "Cherry Pie," saying he didn't want that to be the band's legacy. He claimed the record company wouldn't release the second album until Warrant came up with a hit single.

Angel

~*~*~
I don't know how I missed this thread last month... I loved White Lion when I was in high school... Mike Tramp... :drool:

Saw Motley Crew and Warrant in concert. Tommy Lee mooned me.. Okay he mooned the entire crowed and then screwed on camera for the world to see.

I loved Kix. Didn't get to see them in concert though. I did see Funny Money at Monks years ago where I had a shot, toast, and a kiss with Steve Whiteman (yeah I know maybe not a lot to be proud of anymore).

Oh I have seen many hair bands in concert... I miss those days... I wish I could have seen more. We watched a Heavy Metal thing on TV Saturday night. Megadeth (saw them in concert), Metallica, Anthrax (saw them in concert)... Where have all the good bands gone?

Claff

Hair metal is my specialty. Saw Def Leppard, Poison, Stryper, and the best concert ever, Whitesnake with Great White opening for them.

Favorite hair band is probably Bon Jovi though I listen to them all. Favorite song changes day by day.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
remaxrealtor said:
MEATLOAF! Paradise by the Dashboard Light.

Great song. But I don't think it qualifies as hair metal. Meatloaf's first album came out several years before the big wave of American metal bands in the mid-'80s. Also, Jim Steinman's songs are almost in a genre unto themselves. (Remember Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart?")

Tonio said:
Bump with new information: VH1 Classic is running "Heavy: The Story of Metal" this month. The guitarist from Warrant expressed regret for "Cherry Pie," saying he didn't want that to be the band's legacy. He claimed the record company wouldn't release the second album until Warrant came up with a hit single.
That wasn't the guitarist, that was Jani Lane, the lead singer. Man did he look like CRAP! Talk about a porker.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
huntr1 said:
That wasn't the guitarist, that was Jani Lane, the lead singer.

Thanks for the clarification.

Remember when REO Speedwagon had a power ballad hit with "Can't Fight This Feeling"? It rescued the album's sales. I think that's when record companies began pushing metal bands to have "monster ballads" for hit singles. Remember Krokus and Accept? Each had a heavy album in 1983 followed by a much lighter album in 1985. The mighty Priest did the same thing with "Turbo" in 1986, which had the worst song in the band's career, "Parental Guidance."

Claff

You talk about power ballads like they're bad things. But there's probably a dozen of them on my list of a hundred Best Songs In The History Of Recorded Music.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Claff said:
You talk about power ballads like they're bad things.

I can appreciate some of them, like Scorpions' "Still Loving You" and Saigon Kick's "Love Is On the Way." (As a side note, the first time I heard Sugar Ray's "Someday," I wondered how the song would sound if performed by Saigon Kick.)

My beef is not with power ballads but with record companies urging performers in any genre to change their styles to have hit singles. I can understand why that happens, since the labels are trying to boost profits. But in my view, there's no way a cult act or an album rock act like a metal band could have appealed to a Top 40 audience without losing its core fan base. It happened with the Doobie Brothers when Michael McDonald turned them from biker rockers to funky popsters. It happened with Chicago when Peter Cetera took over. And it happened to Judas Priest when the band recorded "Turbo" in an attempt to lure the Def Leppard/Bon Jovi audience, not realizing that its core fan base was migrating to thrash metal.

moon5leg

It's not easy being green
Tonio said:
My beef is not with power ballads but with record companies urging performers in any genre to change their styles to have hit singles.

Couldn't agree more. A perfect example is Skid Row. The second album they did (Slave to the Grind) is so much better than the 1st, because with the first, the record company just wanted them to put out MTV capable mush. Once they took a little more control of the music, it cranked.