Favorite Thing About The Past

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
WBS??? Webchat Broadcasting System??

yep ... great place to hang out, until Disney's swallowed infoseek .. and rolled them into Go

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebChat_Broadcasting_System

WebChat Broadcasting System (or WBS for short) was a virtual community that existed during the 1990s. Supported by online advertising, it was one of few services at the time to offer free integrated community services including chat, homesteading, messaging, and user profiles. Extremely popular in the era before the Dot-com bust, WBS was at one time the largest interactive and event network on the Internet.[1] In 1998 it was acquired by the search engine Infoseek, which was in turn acquired by Disney/ABC. The original WebChat Broadcasting System closed in September 1999 after its chatrooms were integrated into Disney's existing Go Network chatrooms. A revival of WBS was launched in 2009 and is virtually identical to the original community. [2]

luvmygdaughters

Full service gas stations, they would pump your gas, clean your windshield and sometimes check your oil. The old tv shows, Carol Burnette, Andy Griffith, Dick Van Dyke, The Dean Martin show.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
yep ... great place to hang out, until Disney's swallowed infoseek .. and rolled them into Go

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebChat_Broadcasting_System

WebChat Broadcasting System (or WBS for short) was a virtual community that existed during the 1990s. Supported by online advertising, it was one of few services at the time to offer free integrated community services including chat, homesteading, messaging, and user profiles. Extremely popular in the era before the Dot-com bust, WBS was at one time the largest interactive and event network on the Internet.[1] In 1998 it was acquired by the search engine Infoseek, which was in turn acquired by Disney/ABC. The original WebChat Broadcasting System closed in September 1999 after its chatrooms were integrated into Disney's existing Go Network chatrooms. A revival of WBS was launched in 2009 and is virtually identical to the original community. [2]

I was there almost from the beginning..

No Avatars, just text..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Full service gas stations, they would pump your gas, clean your windshield and sometimes check your oil. The old tv shows, Carol Burnette, Andy Griffith, Dick Van Dyke, The Dean Martin show.

Had to go the same gas station so your glassware matched..

Concern4Calvert

Yes! The Sunoco in Chesapeake Beach would do that!

Now the thread is doing what I'd hoped it would ... bringing back those minuscule but meaningful memories

NextJen

Raisin cane
Piling into the family station wagon to go visit my Grandmother who lived in Crozet, Va. Back before anyone really wore seat belts, we would bring our pillows with us and sit on the floor of the car with the pillow on the seat and sleep most of the way there.
I also remember riding in the back of pick up trucks when we were little.

Concern4Calvert

Indeed
... I miss the 1990's
500 mb between 12 - 6 am and the internet back bone quieted down and downloads moved faster

Web Chat Broadcasting ... [early java driven chat room]
exactly! i remember it would take something like 26 hours to update my "Microsoft Encarta" encyclopedia on my Compaq with the massive monitor and drive that crunched as you clicked the icons.

I'd always set those big downloads before I went to sleep and pray I wouldn't lose the dial up connection :shocked:

luvmygdaughters

I remember my mother, grandmother and aunt would collect yellow stamps or green stamps, them redeem them for some glassware or other houseware stuff. I think they got them when they went grocery shopping, may be wrong though. I just remember her sticking those damn stamps in a book and being so happy when she got a page filled.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
alt.binaries.pictures.celebrities

Celebrities downloaded @ 22.8 in multi part files

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
The Cisco Kid, Speed Racer, Our Gang, and I Dream of Jeannie...