4 channels on tv
picnics
recess
making forts, playing army, cowboy and Indians
turtle hunting
Striving to get a trophy for winning something and accepting that you didn't
Lancelot Link
Soap (tho not a kid when it was on tv)
Laugh-In (loved the over-the-top silliness)

stgislander

Refrigerators were Ice Boxes
Rotary Phones
Party lines
Neighborhood mothers were allowed to hand out spankings to neighborhood kids
Walking,biking to school
4 channels on tv
picnics
recess
turtle hunting
Lancelot Link
I loved Lancelot Link! Makes me want to jump into the WABAC Machine.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
my 1st 2 cars ... a
66 Dodge Dart 170 Cu

and a

67 Dodge Dart 225 Cu

- 3 on the tree,

next 4 vehicles were a 72, 70, 68, 69 VW Beetles
My first was a 1970 Chevy Nova I got from a little old lady who's husband had past for just $250. She thought it was scrap because it revved really high between 1st and 2nd but it was just a vacuum hose that was hanging off the block.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
i've heard people say a VW was literally just a few bolts to turn and a new engine was in/out

under the seat - disconnect the Battery
disconnect the Fuel Line
take lose the Generator wires, the Electric Choke
... throttle cable

pull the rear most piece of tin off of the motor [you don't have to, but it does make it a little easier]
heater box control cables
and 4 Nuts - 2 from underneath and 2 behind the doghouse fan shroud

Tools required: 17 mm, 10 mm, flat head screwdriver - maybe a 13 / 14 mm wrench

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
My first was a 1970 Chevy Nova I got from a little old lady who's husband had past for just $250. She thought it was scrap because it revved really high between 1st and 2nd but it was just a vacuum hose that was hanging off the block.
:yay:

I got the 69 for $ 50 bucks [1988] the guy was asking $ 200 - but had not been able to get the car running the previous weekend for another potential buyer
I low balled my offer, and towed the car home ... in 30 min I had the vehicle running - I kept it for 6 yrs.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Before Caller ID was invented, you could prank call people and not get busted. Until they invented *69. :ohwell:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Rotary Phones
Party lines
Walking,biking to school
4 channels on tv
picnics
recess
making forts, playing army, cowboy and Indians - yep did lots of that
turtle hunting
Lancelot Link

in the 1970's - we still had dial phones, no one had an answering machine
Sid and Marty Croft - Dr Shrinker, Electra Woman and Dyna Girl, Land of the Lost
ISIS
Shzamm
Wackey Racers
The Scooby Doo Show - originals
Ghost of 1776
Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids

12 inch GI Joes - yep boys play with ACTION Figures

Rat Patrol, Combat, John Wayne War Movies

Unedited Bugs Bunny and the Road Runner
Channel 5 and 20 for Sci Fi TV show Reruns - Star Trek, UFO, Space 1999 - Cartoons - Speed Racer, Marine Boy and Ultra man [not a cartoon]

Popster

Rotary Phones
Party lines
Walking,biking to school
4 channels on tv
picnics
recess
turtle hunting
Lancelot Link
I remember seeing the neighbor's tv; about a 3" crt display. I miss the local hardware store where as a kid I could buy plaster of paris by the pound and get charcoal, salt peter, and sulfur and and make our own gunpowder. I remember being totally surprised and taken aback when at the end of summer I was told that there was such a thing as school and it would be starting soon. I now also remembered that the men in our neighborhood would take care of folks who stole things or mistreated their families.

I don't miss my first modem; I could type way faster than it could transmit. However, I could connect with some really bright folks with it and there were no trolls or snobs with which to deal.

Roman

I miss penny candy, like Bazooka bubble gum. A bag of Fritos cost a nickel. 25 cents to go see a movie.

PeoplesElbow

Before Caller ID was invented, you could prank call people and not get busted. Until they invented *69. :ohwell:
One of my favorite past times when I was in Jr High in the 80's! My friends and I ruthlessly pranked the art teacher who turned out to be a child molester. We wondered why the cops always seemed to warn us so they couldn't catch us in the act.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I don't miss my first modem; I could type way faster than it could transmit. However, I could connect with some really bright folks with it and there were no trolls or snobs with which to deal.
I miss my first modem. I was thrilled to be able to work from home with that 300 baud modem that was built in to my radically awesome the-envy-of-all-my-peers-except-those-that-owned-Osbornes-and-Kaypros Radio Shack Model 4P computer. Dual operating systems (TRSDOS and CPM, both...but CPM ruled the world), dual 5.25" 180k floppy drives and 128k of banked RAM. I was a computing god.