Favre......again?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
He's not better than 1/2 the starters in the league. QB Rating = 21st. Threw the most INTs. 11th in yards, but 8th in attempts (22nd in YPA). He threw 4 more INTs than anyone else and the two closest to him had around 100 more attempts. The only person with a worse INT % was friggin Gus Frerotte, who probably barely qualified for being in the list of 32 QBs since he didn't start the full season. He had 5th highest completion % though. 30 sacks rated him 23rd in the league.

Campbell --> top in the league in INT % (1.2% to 4.2%), 6 INTs all year, rating was #19, 15th in completion %, only 16 fewer attempts than Favre and 200 fewer yards. 38 sacks behind a cruddy line, good for 27th. Only 13 TDs, good for 21st.

I'm not saying Campbell is better

Who would Favre be the opening day starter for? I'll only comment on the yes's and the maybes;

Pats
Bills
Jets
Phish maybe

Pitt
Ravens
Cinncy
Browns

Titans maybe
Texans
Colts
Jax probably

Raiders
Denver yes
Chargers
Chiefs

maybe 4 in the AFC

Giants
Cowboys
Skins yes
Eagles

Lions yes
Packers
Vikes yup
Bears

Saints
Falcons
Bucs
Panthers

Rams
49ers maybe
Seahawks
Cards

Maybe 4.

So, 8 of 32.

I was wrong; only 25%.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Wanna make a bet that the Vikings win more games than the Packers?

BTW, he was 6th in completions. 8th in attempts with a coach who made him chuck it 25+ even with the injury, despite having a stellar running game. 5th in percentage completed. 11th in yards. 9th in TD's.

NFL Stats: by Player Category

Favre won't be asked to chuck it downfield like he did for the J E T S. Minnesota will milk that ground game first and do it the right way.
Did I forget completions? Oops. The Vikings were a playoff-bound team without Favre. Of course they'll be successful. I don't think Favre will have much to do with that.

Who would Favre be the opening day starter for? I'll only comment on the yes's and the maybes;

Pats
Bills <--- you forgot the Bills! Edwards sucks.
Jets
Phish maybe NOT A CHANCE!

Pitt
Ravens
Cinncy
Browns

Titans maybe No way!
Texans
Colts
Jax probably Fair enough

Raiders
Denver yes Haha yeah
Chargers
Chiefs

maybe 4 in the AFC lets go with 3

Giants
Cowboys
Skins yes ok
Eagles

Lions yes ok
Packers
Vikes yup obviously
Bears

Saints
Falcons
Bucs he'd have possibly started here. They're going with Leftwich this year it seems
Panthers

Rams
49ers maybe probably
Seahawks
Cards

Maybe 4.

So, 8 of 32.

I was wrong; only 25%.

Chad Pennington and Kerry Collins were two of the top QBs last season on two playoff teams. Heck, Pennington was #2 in MVP voting. No way that Favre starts over them. And they both have backup QBs that are expected to be successful, so they'd put those two in before Favre. No way Favre would ever start for Tennessee or Miami these season.

Last edited:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Did I forget completions? Oops. The Vikings were a playoff-bound team without Favre. Of course they'll be successful. I don't think Favre will have much to do with that.

Favre had a tale of two seasons last season. In the first half he was considered by most to be having a pro-bowl season. He acquired a throwing injury whereby most QB's couldn't make the throws. Depsite that, his head coach called at least 25+ passing plays in the final half of the season. You can blame Favre but the Mangenius isn't standing in East Rutherford anymore.

Chad Pennington and Kerry Collins were two of the top QBs last season on two playoff teams. Heck, Pennington was #2 in MVP voting. No way that Favre starts over them. And they both have backup QBs that are expected to be successful, so they'd put those two in before Favre. No way Favre would ever start for Tennessee or Miami these season.
Well, Favre replaced Pennington last season.:lol: I've always liked Pennington though. Tough good natured kid.

Collins is Favre-like to me. So, if you like Collins you shouldn't have no problem with Favre. Both are old, gray beards. Both are on teams with good defenses. Both have a stellar running attack. Both have superb offensive lines. Neither will be asked to win the game.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Brett nicked himself shaving this morning, considering retirement, will announce his intentions by September 9th.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Favre had a tale of two seasons last season. In the first half he was considered by most to be having a pro-bowl season. He acquired a throwing injury whereby most QB's couldn't make the throws. Depsite that, his head coach called at least 25+ passing plays in the final half of the season. You can blame Favre but the Mangenius isn't standing in East Rutherford anymore.

Well, Favre replaced Pennington last season.:lol: I've always liked Pennington though. Tough good natured kid.

Collins is Favre-like to me. So, if you like Collins you shouldn't have no problem with Favre. Both are old, gray beards. Both are on teams with good defenses. Both have a stellar running attack. Both have superb offensive lines. Neither will be asked to win the game.

I wouldn't say Favre was having a Pro-Bowl season, but he was having a good year. Then he went down the crapper, kinda like how he goes most seasons. I don't know much about the throwing injury, but I've seen stats plastered everywhere that after he's hit double digit games (like game 11 or 12 or something) over the past 4-5 years, his stats took a significant nosedive. It wasn't just last season. The Vikings may be a better team with him through week 11 or 12, but they'd be better off starting Rosenfels/Jackson for the remainder of the season if his performance to close the previous year is any indication.

The question Larry posed was "who would Favre start for". I was saying he wouldn't start OVER Pennington or Collins if he was on the roster, and that is primarily due to the success each team enjoyed with those two starters the previous season. You DONT mess with chemistry if it's working. Pennington and Collins may not be the best QBs, but they both did a great job last year.

Pennington has a very up and down career. He was replaced by Favre because he kept getting injured and they didn't know if he could play up to the level he played in '06 when he was comeback player of the year, since '07 was a disaster due to injuries. He'd have a good year, then a bad injury-plagued year, and it kept going back and forth. You don't want to invest long-term in a QB that keeps doing that, obviously. He just had a #2 showing in the MVP voting last season. The Dolphins wouldn't replace him this season with Favre if both were on the roster, unless Pennington got hurt or started the season poorly. But if the Fins season quickly goes down the tubes, they'd hand it off to the heir-apparent, Chad Henne.

DuffMan

Wanna make a bet that the Vikings win more games than the Packers?

BTW, he was 6th in completions. 8th in attempts with a coach who made him chuck it 25+ even with the injury, despite having a stellar running game. 5th in percentage completed. 11th in yards. 9th in TD's.

NFL Stats: by Player Category

Favre won't be asked to chuck it downfield like he did for the J E T S. Minnesota will milk that ground game first and do it the right way.

Your on BuddyLee! What's the bet for?

DuffMan

Take off the Yellow and Green goggles. The Vikings are the better team and will have a better record. Don't go into an unfair bet. :yay:

Yeah the have a good run D, They have one of the best RB's in the league and now Brett, are they going to be great? No, I think they will be above average but average will win you the NFC North. Historically Brett is bad playing in dome's. How will playing his home games in a dome affect him this year? All I can Say is a new season starts in a few weeks and you never know what will happen. I know the Packers are not going to be great this year. They are Transforming to a 3-4 def. which only one player on the team has experience with.

"Packers linebacker Nick Barnett told the newspaper: "After all those years of not being able to hit him, do I want to hit him? Of course I want to hit him. "

BuddyLee

Football addict
Yeah the have a good run D, They have one of the best RB's in the league and now Brett, are they going to be great? No, I think they will be above average but average will win you the NFC North. Historically Brett is bad playing in dome's. How will playing his home games in a dome affect him this year? All I can Say is a new season starts in a few weeks and you never know what will happen. I know the Packers are not going to be great this year. They are Transforming to a 3-4 def. which only one player on the team has experience with.

"Packers linebacker Nick Barnett told the newspaper: "After all those years of not being able to hit him, do I want to hit him? Of course I want to hit him. "
Favre was bad in domes early in his career. He's about average nowadays.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Your on BuddyLee! What's the bet for?

And Betta...

...it's funny that with Favre under center both the Packers and Jets had winning seasons, despite your assumed stats at the end of the season. That wasn't the case for the Pack last season.

DuffMan

And Betta...

...it's funny that with Favre under center both the Packers and Jets had winning seasons, despite your assumed stats at the end of the season. That wasn't the case for the Pack last season.

I can deal with an Avatar bet!

The Packers lost a lot of close games last year which due to Rogers inexperience in managing the game. Now on the other hand the D did not help out as well.

First two pre-season games
Rogers 13-19 200 yds 3 TD Vs Clev and Buff. (two below avg teams)
Favre 1-4 4 yds 0 TD Vs K.C (see how he does next time)
Campbell 4-13 48 yds 0 TD Vs Balt and Pitts (two great team)

Otter

Nothing to see here
*Update* Brett Farve is considering retirement again because his offensive linemen hurt his feelings.

BuddyLee

Football addict
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP)—New York Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum admitted Thursday the team should have disclosed Brett Favre’s(notes) torn biceps tendon on mandatory weekly injury reports over the final third of last season.

Favre, now with the Minnesota Vikings, said earlier this week he thought he was hurting the Jets because of the injury and discussed it with the coaches and the front office. He said he would have been willing to sit out, even though that would have ended his streak of consecutive starts, which now stands at 269 games.

Tannenbaum said he should have listed the quarterback as “probable,” but didn’t because the injury was not severe enough to require daily treatment and there was never any doubt Favre would play.
<!-- article-left_skinny -->

Jets GM says he made mistake handling Favre injury - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Mis-handled the injury and made the QB throw it 30+ times after the injury. Despite having one of the better rushing attacks the Jets decided to throw with an injured QB.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Favre actually looked decent yesterday. He took 4 sacks though. That O-line better protect him better.