FLU IS RUNNING RAMPANT

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
My doctor referred to Elementary schools as “Petrie dishes” and she was so right! Every year I would get a terrible sore throat cold in October and then again after the December Book Fair I always ran (ALL THE KIDS + a parent/family night + handling money handled by small children. The ONLY time I didn’t get sick was when we were teaching virtual. When the whole school population returned in September 2021, I lasted 3 days before getting sick, and that was WITH a mask! So yes, schools contribute to spreading illness and I can understand where lack of exposure to the common things had a possible negative impact on the immune system. I live with high risk folks so I always took precautions. I also relied on elderberry syrup along with required vaccines because, as Lightly Roasted said, our diets & eating habits are basically trash and I’m trying to rely a bit more on adding traditional natural herbal meds to supplement.

Take care of yourself & stay armed with what our darlings refer to as “hanitizer”. And seriously, try the elderberry thing unless your doctor says no. They have it as gummies now. (No, this is not “medical” advice as I am NOT a doctor, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express! Just sharing what seemed to work for me and others I know. As always, follow the advice of your medical practitioner.)
I have been researching/using natural/home remedies most of my adult life and I have been using Elderberry and a few others for years. I hope it makes a difference. I had to track down timed-release Vit C at CVS yesterday to help in this battle. I have been masked since 2020 and when schools shut down I was considered essential and had to report to school every day.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Only vaccine I ever wanted is the shingles one. Had chickenpox as an adult, that was not fun.

A friend of mine told me the pneumonia one is horrible, big needle, lots of cold stuff injected, and it actually hurts.
The vaccines are refrigerated so I guess they are cold. I don't remember the pneumonia vaccine being that big of a needle. And it's a one time shot. The shingles vaccine is a two shot series. The only one that made my arm hurt was the shingles vaccine.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Only vaccine I ever wanted is the shingles one. Had chickenpox as an adult, that was not fun.

A friend of mine told me the pneumonia one is horrible, big needle, lots of cold stuff injected, and it actually hurts.
I had the pox as a kid and shingles at 33. I haven't bothered with the vax for that.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
The vaccines are refrigerated so I guess they are cold. I don't remember the pneumonia vaccine being that big of a needle. And it's a one time shot. The shingles vaccine is a two shot series. The only one that made my arm hurt was the shingles vaccine.
My arm hurt bad with every Covid vaccine.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
That's young for shingles.

My mom tried to get me chickenpox as a kid but it just never took. In college my neighbor came by to ask me something, 30 seconds of contact and I got it two weeks before finals.
Dr. seemed to think it was due to body stress. I had my baby not long before.

3CATSAILOR

Dr. seemed to think it was due to body stress. I had my baby not long before.
Parents will never keep the kids home when they are sick. This is because they enjoy the free time without their children. Therefore, they leave them with the school to try to teach sick kids. Two kids threw up all over in a school bus last week. Who knows what they are spreading. Many kids are coughing and sneezing. Mainly coughing. Some parents like to call it "just Hay Fever". If it is Hay Fever, there sure is a lot of it going around. They should call each and every parent for every sick kid. Will they? No. Why? Because they know their duty as a baby sitter. Perhaps I am mistaken, but the last I knew a kid with any contagious illness is supposed to be not in school.

3CATSAILOR

People like to speculate to stir up conversation. I thought I had a strong immune system before I started working in elementary schools in 2017. As soon as I can I will get my senior body away from schools because I am getting sick left and right. Covid started Oct 5th, and I never recovered completely. Last Friday Nov 4th I feel the raw throat again OMG no. I was hoping it was the Ragweed pollen but it persisted all weekend and I have felt progressively worse each day (same as the start of Covid) and today I am at work since if I don't come I don't get paid and I will call my regular Dr that I trust more and schedule to be seen there.
Good Grief! Sorry to hear that. I do know many other people who experienced the same thing. AND had to go to work while sick for the same reason as well. Take comfort that you are not the only one. Get better.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Parents will never keep the kids home when they are sick. This is because they enjoy the free time without their children. Therefore, they leave them with the school to try to teach sick kids. Two kids threw up all over in a school bus last week. Who knows what they are spreading. Many kids are coughing and sneezing. Mainly coughing. Some parents like to call it "just Hay Fever". If it is Hay Fever, there sure is a lot of it going around. They should call each and every parent for every sick kid. Will they? No. Why? Because they know their duty as a baby sitter. Perhaps I am mistaken, but the last I knew a kid with any contagious illness is supposed to be not in school.
I never intentionally sent my kid off to school sick.

rio

A kid can throw up for many reasons, most of them not from a contagious illness and often times with no warning.

People cough and sneeze all the time for a variety of reasons. A lot of times even after being home for a week or more due to an illness people have a lingering cough or stuffiness. I sent my child to school after she had been home for 2 1/2 weeks with pneumonia. She was still coughing, but not contagious.

Most contagious sickness is spread before a person even knows they are sick. A child can be fine when they leave for school and by the middle of the day show symptoms of being sick. Illness doesn't follow the school clock.

So yes, people will probably from now until the end of time send their children to school sick.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
A kid can throw up for many reasons, most of them not from a contagious illness and often times with no warning.

People cough and sneeze all the time for a variety of reasons. A lot of times even after being home for a week or more due to an illness people have a lingering cough or stuffiness. I sent my child to school after she had been home for 2 1/2 weeks with pneumonia. She was still coughing, but not contagious.

Most contagious sickness is spread before a person even knows they are sick. A child can be fine when they leave for school and by the middle of the day show symptoms of being sick. Illness doesn't follow the school clock.

So yes, people will probably from now until the end of time send their children to school sick.
I'm not quite sure why that was aimed at me. I wasn't even talking about a sick kid. :sshrug:

3CATSAILOR

I'm not quite sure why that was aimed at me. I wasn't even talking about a sick kid. :sshrug:
Not aimed at anyone in particular. However, I do know of many parents who "intentionally" send children to school to be used as a babysitter more than anything else. It's unfortunate. But, it happens.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Not aimed at anyone in particular. However, I do know of many parents who "intentionally" send children to school to be used as a babysitter more than anything else. It's unfortunate. But, it happens.
Why did you quote my post about getting shingles then? What did that have to do with your comments?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Parents will lie and say their child isn't sick sadly and you are right - they DO enjoy their time away from the children. That's why so many parents were so frustrated during the shutdown. The good parents are too far and few these days.

PeoplesElbow

I projectile vomited in the stairwell during a fire drill when I was in 7th grade. There was barf all over the stairs everyone was supposed to go down.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I projectile vomited in the stairwell during a fire drill when I was in 7th grade. There was barf all over the stairs everyone was supposed to go down.

But we know if I child isn't sick when they show up and become sick later in the day. We also know if a child has been out sick also and comes back with lingering symptoms. We all know that the spread of illness can start before serious symptoms are present BUT it still helps for people to keep sick children at home once they KNOW the child is sick, don't force them to come to school where they can't even hold their head up in class and beg to go home.

PeoplesElbow

But we know if I child isn't sick when they show up and become sick later in the day. We also know if a child has been out sick also and comes back with lingering symptoms. We all know that the spread of illness can start before serious symptoms are present BUT it still helps for people to keep sick children at home once they KNOW the child is sick, don't force them to come to school where they can't even hold their head up in class and beg to go home.
In my case it was from eating too much crap at lunchtime.