Foods everyone likes but you can't stand

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Do not recall ever eating that.

Run on over to Giant, or another grocery store, and get some. They are selling for $2.99 a pound package. You won't be disappointed. This product goes along of the mantra, from the head to the tail. Meaning that, we humans, in the not too distant past, used to utilize the entirety of a cow, a pig, etc., never letting any part of the animal go to waste. As a matter of fact, there is evidence that eating all organs, in addition to the meat, is much better for people as they give us all of every nutrient and mineral we need to survive.

Most traditional versions of scrapple rely heavily on organs, skin, feet and heads it is a genuine head-to-tail, whole animal food. It is nutrient dense and, most importantly, bioavailable – which means the nutrients it contains are readily available to our human bodies. Head cheese being another similar product.

NOTSMC

Run on over to Giant, or another grocery store, and get some. They are selling for $2.99 a pound package. You won't be disappointed. This product goes along of the mantra, from the head to the tail. Meaning that, we humans, in the not too distant past, used to utilize the entirety of a cow, a pig, etc., never letting any part of the animal go to waste. As a matter of fact, there is evidence that eating all organs, in addition to the meat, is much better for people as they give us all of every nutrient and mineral we need to survive.

Most traditional versions of scrapple rely heavily on organs, skin, feet and heads it is a genuine head-to-tail, whole animal food. It is nutrient dense and, most importantly, bioavailable – which means the nutrients it contains are readily available to our human bodies. Head cheese being another similar product.
mmmmm....cheese

Blister

I like scrapple, but I never cook it at home anymore because no one else will eat it. I probably get a scrapple, egg, and cheese from Chaptico Market about a half dozen times a year.

On the same theme, I like Liver and Onions, and Liverwurst, but no one in my family will eat either one.

Liver and Onions about once a year at Maries Diner in Laplata., and a Liverwurst on Rye with mustard and onions from the Cedarville Carryout in Brandywine.

I have been seeing Head Cheese my whole life, but I've never been tempted to even try it.

Blister

Wow! I haven't heard that mentioned in awhile! Glad to know they're still around.
You know lunch is going to be good when you pull up to a "Country Store", and it's parking lot is full of Fire Dept., State/County govt., and utility trucks by 11 AM.

Reactions: rio

LightRoasted

If I may ...

I like scrapple, but I never cook it at home anymore because no one else will eat it. I probably get a scrapple, egg, and cheese from Chaptico Market about a half dozen times a year.

On the same theme, I like Liver and Onions, and Liverwurst, but no one in my family will eat either one.

Liver and Onions about once a year at Maries Diner in Laplata., and a Liverwurst on Rye with mustard and onions from the Cedarville Carryout in Brandywine.

I have been seeing Head Cheese my whole life, but I've never been tempted to even try it.

Love liverwurst. I cook scrapple as often as I cook bacon, even if no one wants it. Also, most times, cook the whole pound, eat some and put the rest in the fridge as a snack later in the day, or for the next day. Never could get over the texture/palate-feel of liver, even with the onions doing some masking. I wonder, to get all the nutritional goodness, is there a way to make a palatable liver smoothly? :twitch:🤮 Funny, that Cedarville Market is in Brandywine, when Cedarville is an area all to its own. It's like naming a store the Waldorf Market that's located in LaPlata.

Same with Head Cheese for me. Every time I see it I think, WTH, why would someone make something like this? However, someday I might try it and then it could be; Wow, now I know, stuff is damn good. Just like scrapple.

Oh. And Marie's Diner, an historical classical institution all to itself, a true family run legacy restaurant. Anyone in the area should try it a least once. Funny though that Marie's is owned and ran by a fella named Bobby.

SandieGarry

Speaking of liver and onions, can folks list the places that sell it? Most of my diners we used to get it from are closed.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Speaking of liver and onions, can folks list the places that sell it? Most of my diners we used to get it from are closed.
Chief's in Tall Timbers usually has it once a week as a special. I believe Ye Olde Towne Cafe has it on the menu. I seem to remember the old Linda's Cafe had it on the menu. Don't know about the new location.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Chief's in Tall Timbers usually has it once a week as a special. I believe Ye Olde Towne Cafe has it on the menu. I seem to remember the old Linda's Cafe had it on the menu. Don't know about the new location.
Linda's is also one day a week
Tuesday is ham and cabbage
Wednesday is meatloaf
Thursday is liver and onions
Friday is catfish

Anglers in Solomons is on the menu every day

Clem72

Yeah Scraple everything but the Oink

Crispy Fried with Maple Syrup
I've only had it the one time, ordered from Linda's Cafe actually, and I didn't care for it. And honestly that's odd as I am an avowed carnivore.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I've only had it the one time, ordered from Linda's Cafe actually, and I didn't care for it. And honestly that's odd as I am an avowed carnivore.

I cannot remember the last time I had Scraple .... the 80's ??

Grumpy

Scrapple is one of those foods that if you don't grow up with it, you're leery of trying it when you're an adult. I'm that way with corned beef hash and cottage cheese. BTW, I enjoy Scrapple.

Clem72

Scrapple is one of those foods that if you don't grow up with it, you're leery of trying it when you're an adult. I'm that way with corned beef hash and cottage cheese. BTW, I enjoy Scrapple.
Corned beef hash is alright, but why the hell would you put cottage cheese on it?

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Watching a hog slaughter and seeing the offal being gathered to make it did it for me.

:twitch:

If it'd been up to me anything that wasn't meat would have been buried in a ditch.