For all of those in Southern Md that have no clue how to get through a crossover

Kinnakeet

After left lane campers, this is probably my #2 pet peeve of drivers around here. Though people who can’t maintain speed while going up a small incline is very close...along with those who can’t maintain speed in the left lane.

Dammit there’s just too many for me to prioritize!!!
As long as they are going the speed limit there is no problem the problem is people going 70-80 mph if you need to go that fast to get to work then you should get up a lot earlier and leave earlier and by the way where are the police that should be giving these people tickets, on route 4 people are using the right hand median as a lane

PeoplesElbow

I don't give a rats A$$ if the "other" way flows better. It's incorrect and it causes a confusing mess for the half of the people actually following the rules of the road. And if there's that many cars, they shouldn't pull that far up into the actual crossover section of the road but wait until there is room enough to be there. Additionally, when there isn't ANY merge area (just a crossover) people should NOT pull into the crossover until the car in front of them has left. Pulling up to their left when the first car is making a left turn is pure stupidity. Twice now I've seen this and the first car has no IDEA a car has pulled up on their left (because they are looking right) and that poor bastard clips the idiot that pulled up on their left.
With the people that bitch the left lane is for passing what do you theink they will do about a stopped car blocking the left lane. I rarely use these crossovers but i believe there would be a lot of rear end accidents. I think many of these people are jist trying to avoid being rear ended.

glhs837

Power with Control
As long as they are going the speed limit there is no problem the problem is people going 70-80 mph if you need to go that fast to get to work then you should get up a lot earlier and leave earlier and by the way where are the police that should be giving these people tickets, on route 4 people are using the right hand median as a lane

No, if you are obstruction traffic on a multilane highway, you need to get the hell over. Even if it's not legally required, it's the right thing to do unless you are turning left shortly. Should not need a law to require courtesy.

glhs837

Power with Control
With the people that bitch the left lane is for passing what do you theink they will do about a stopped car blocking the left lane. I rarely use these crossovers but i believe there would be a lot of rear end accidents. I think many of these people are jist trying to avoid being rear ended.

If the dedicated lane to wait for that crossover is full, the correct answer is to keep moving to the next crossover, not to stop in the travel lane.

MiddleGround

The thing that escapes most of you (by reading the replies) is that many people around here HAVE NO COURTESY FOR OTHER DRIVERS! They do whatever they want, whenever they want because they are more important.

BTW.. with respects to the OP. The reason why there is such a cluster in the medians is because of people wanting to do a U-turn. They are programmed to enter the median into the left portion. I don't know how many times I have turned into the right portion of the median (correctly) and had an on-coming car just site there starring at me and not knowing what the hell to do!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Just so you guys know, this thread got picked up on our Facebook page and has been shared 180 times so far. :yay:

mitzi

The thing that escapes most of you (by reading the replies) is that many people around here HAVE NO COURTESY FOR OTHER DRIVERS! They do whatever they want, whenever they want because they are more important.

BTW.. with respects to the OP. The reason why there is such a cluster in the medians is because of people wanting to do a U-turn. They are programmed to enter the median into the left portion. I don't know how many times I have turned into the right portion of the median (correctly) and had an on-coming car just site there starring at me and not knowing what the hell to do!

I have tried doing it the right way and have had so many near miss fender benders it's crazy. Then the ones who pull up beside you on the left. I've even had them pull up to the right and speed into the lane and oncoming traffic. I've gotten so I avoid going out when the traffic is heavy (I can now, I'm retired). I just can't deal with the stupidity out there.

PeoplesElbow

If the dedicated lane to wait for that crossover is full, the correct answer is to keep moving to the next crossover, not to stop in the travel lane.
Pretty sure I have seen crossovers without a dedicated lane. There is no way many would keep traveling if there is no room.

SamSpade

I'm the bad guy in most of these scenarios.
But it's not because I'm an ass - it's because I can 100% count on another driver doing the one thing in the world that will jack me up.
For example - in a merge - yep, I get over right away. Why? Because the *******s at the merge will crowd together and force me onto
the shoulder rather than let me in. THEN some ass ahead of me will put half his car on the shoulder just to piss me off.
I've had a tractor trailer do this to me, on purpose.

I make the short turn rather than the long turn. Why? Because I know if I do otherwise, some ass is going to cross over from the
turn BEHIND me screwing the next guy in line. The whole "you're blocking line of sight argument" is bull - it's what happens at every intersection with a light - and they don't paint those lines on the road so they cross. They run exactly as I turn without them.

If everybody was courteous on the road, I could see it - but it only takes ONE to screw it up, and that one always seems to show up.

glhs837

Power with Control
I'm the bad guy in most of these scenarios.
But it's not because I'm an ass - it's because I can 100% count on another driver doing the one thing in the world that will jack me up.
For example - in a merge - yep, I get over right away. Why? Because the ***s at the merge will crowd together and force me onto
the shoulder rather than let me in. THEN some ass ahead of me will put half his car on the shoulder just to piss me off.
I've had a tractor trailer do this to me, on purpose.

I make the short turn rather than the long turn. Why? Because I know if I do otherwise, some ass is going to cross over from the
turn BEHIND me screwing the next guy in line. The whole "you're blocking line of sight argument" is bull - it's what happens at every intersection with a light - and they don't paint those lines on the road so they cross. They run exactly as I turn without them.

If everybody was courteous on the road, I could see it - but it only takes ONE to screw it up, and that one always seems to show up.

So it's preemptive as$holery? And to clarify, that doesnt mean you're not an ass, just that you think you're are justified in being an ass. :)

See, in Boston, that actually works. But only becuase every single driver except the occasional tourist or CT resident does exactly the same :)

SamSpade

So it's preemptive as$holery? And to clarify, that doesnt mean you're not an ass, just that you think you're are justified in being an ass. :)

See, in Boston, that actually works. But only becuase every single driver except the occasional tourist or CT resident does exactly the same :)

THAT was the one thing about Boston driving that astonished me - they honor the whole "alternate weave" thing (I lived there for six years).
On the other hand, most of the most horrific things I've ever seen took place there - once, a guy opened the door of his coupe into traffic in
the Longwood Medical Area - and a bus zoomed past and took it off! YEARLY, a truck gets stuck on Storrow Drive at the Harvard Bridge.
I've seen a car pull off a bumper from another car while in a rotary - and more than once, I was in traffic so tight, cars were SCRAPING the
outside of my car and my outside mirror got taken off.

And I could write a book about the stunts they routinely pull there, like blocking a lane of traffic on a two lane highway while waiting for
traffic on the other side to clear - jumping ahead of oncoming cars for a left turn in an intersection, and the cars behind him using him as
a "shield" while they also make the same left turn.

And there's the "Boston Bump" - the method in parallel parking where you push the car in front of you and in back of you back and forth
until you've parked - and there's maybe an inch between you and the car in front and back, when you're done.

I know all about Boston driving - I did delivery for years.

So yeah, I feel justified being an ass, because I'm almost never wrong, and I usually get screwed doing the right thing.

And I don't get the turn thing at all - like I said, on a marked intersection where there's a light, the way it says not to do it is
EXACTLY the way it is designed to work in them. They paint lines in the road for it.

DeeJay

Administrator
Staff member
Over 8000 thread views and 1100 shares on Facebook!

This is officially a hot topic.