For all of those in Southern Md that have no clue how to get through a crossover

Goldenhawk

It's not just people making left or U-Turns off of a road like 235, there are also people who can come from the intersecting street who may want to go straight or turn left. Being on the "left" side of the intersection puts you head on with that vehicle.
This keeps being raised as a good reason to hug right. But if there are cars already in the intersection waiting to turn, the side-street driver CANNOT legally enter the same intersection. This is a straw man argument.

FWIW I was in Hagarstown today and there saw a cross over that had lines painted in it on how traffic should flow.
I was thinking about stop lines and how they would work in the crossover situation. They wouldn't. On any given day, watch how people stop at a stop light. They don't stop at the stop line. They don't stop at the first line of the crosswalk. More often than not, the front of their car is beyond the second line of the crosswalk, almost a full car length past the stop line and into the intersection.

Stop lines at a crossover would be ignored around here.

PeoplesElbow

Ok...... so how were they painted????
Believe it or not I saw several marked for each way of doing it. The important thing to take away is that they were clearly marked for how to do it, there was no ambiguity, the roads there are designed with quite a bit more thought.

I'm looking again at the crossing with the arrows. That's not a stop line. That's an indicator of direction. The triangles are pointing in the direction of travel, so again, you enter the crossover on the left in both of those examples.

Nebermind.... disregard. Found the meaning of the triangle road symbols. They are YIELD markings, and appear to be pointing in the opposite direction of the flow of traffic. So my first comment stands... engineer's discretion.

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
Well, once lines are painted, they are an official “traffic control device” per MD state law, and thus extremely legally relevant and enforceable.

You make a good point. Otherwise, traffic/drivers would be more out of control than they are, already. Can I say that I have never gotten a traffic ticket, or caused an accident? I am 64, and hope that holds. I want that on my tombstone. :lol:

MiddleGround

This keeps being raised as a good reason to hug right. But if there are cars already in the intersection waiting to turn, the side-street driver CANNOT legally enter the same intersection. This is a straw man argument.

It doesn't matter.... PERIOD!

You keep trying to justify doing it the WRONG way with false logic. There is NO instance where it is OK for your vehicle to be on the left side of a median unless specifically authorized by road signage. We drive on the right side of the road in the US. PERIOD! The ONLY instance I have ever seen where left-side driving was allowed was on a multi-lane, U-turn only median. THATS IT!

Once again, if anyone can provide documentation otherwise.. I'd be more than happy to read it and change my stance however, none has been produced thus far. Only "opinions"

BernieP

Resident PIA
Stop lines at a crossover would be ignored around here.
Pretty much everything is ignored around here because there seems to be a preponderance of people who know better.
There way is the right way, and they will enforce those rules.
The words, common sense don't apply.
Long line of traffic on Wildewod Blvd at the Parkway. First car in line is trying to make a left. A few of us stayed in line, refusing to ride down the bike / pedestrian path. Not the asshats behind us, they used "the shoulder" to bypass the line.
Signs inside clearly state don't drive or park on the shoulder, the bike and pedestrian path is clearly marked. Sort of like driving down the sidewalk.
But you will get an argument that it's ok, because it's part of the road. (regardless of the signs and lines.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I'm looking again at the crossing with the arrows. That's not a stop line. That's an indicator of direction. The triangles are pointing in the direction of travel, so again, you enter the crossover on the left in both of those examples.

Nebermind.... disregard. Found the meaning of the triangle road symbols. They are YIELD markings, and appear to be pointing in the opposite direction of the flow of traffic. So my first comment stands... engineer's discretion.
View attachment 138084
Not questioning, merely stating I don't recall seeing yield lines, will have to look more closely.
The solid white lines, I know people violate those, hell, last minute, unsignaled lane changes at the light are common.
Isn't there a rule that you should not switch lanes 200 feet from an intersection? yet, even with the white line, people do.

MiddleGround

Isn't there a rule that you should not switch lanes 200 feet from an intersection? yet, even with the white line, people do.
Fairly sure that is something that is taught as a "rule of thumb" to follow.

I do know 100% that is is a LAW that you are not supposed to cross a solid white line yet, people do it every single day. Like you said before... people do whatever they want. Wild West style. Who's to blame them? It's not like there is any active enforcement of the road rules anyway :sshrug: