For all of those in Southern Md that have no clue how to get through a crossover

DQ2B

For the life of me I don't know where so many people got the notion that you should enter a crossover on the left!!! Please stop. See diagram. And for God's sake if there is already a car in the crossover and you are behind, don't go into the crossover and pull up on their left!!! It's just stupid.

Attachments

• crossover.jpg
    crossover.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 5,676

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You'd think common sense would ....

Oh...wait...

What I hate is when someone is already in the wrong spot, so I go in the wrong spot because of that, and they go, but I'll still sitting there looking like the nozzle. :mad:

Reactions: Erk

BernieP

Resident PIA
For the life of me I don't know where so many people got the notion that you should enter a crossover on the left!!! Please stop. See diagram. And for God's sake if there is already a car in the crossover and you are behind, don't go into the crossover and pull up on their left!!! It's just stupid.
I like the three way two turning and then some knuckle head comes in to go straight.

TPD

the poor dad

After left lane campers, this is probably my #2 pet peeve of drivers around here. Though people who can’t maintain speed while going up a small incline is very close...along with those who can’t maintain speed in the left lane.

Dammit there’s just too many for me to prioritize!!!

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
For the life of me I don't know where so many people got the notion that you should enter a crossover on the left!!!
If it's such a problem, then obviously it isn't clear what the proper course of action is to everyone. How about a solid yellow line in the crossover, like the one used everywhere else to denote this side vs that side. I do believe I have seen some on occasion.

Kinda like in other states where you have a really wide intersection on a major thoroughfare where they take the time to paint dashed white lines for left turners so they know where the hell they're supposed to go, especially at night. Not to mention that it helps people maintain their lanes when they are several lanes turning left at the same time.

Last edited:

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
As far as the attached diagram goes, I think whether one does it the "correct" way or the "incorrect" way depends on the situation.

While I prefer to do it the "correct" way, I've rarely found it to be a problem either way.

--- End of line (MCP)

Sorry, but the "correct" way only works if there are two cars, one in each direction. If you have 2 or more cars stacked to turn in a lane with 2 or more cars turning in the other lane, it's a total fuster cluck. No one gets thru, the intersection clogs with people trying to pass in front of each other. Doing it he "wrong" way, the cars just keep filing out, one behind the other. No crossing in front of each other.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sorry, but the "correct" way only works if there are two cars, one in each direction. If you have 2 or more cars stacked to turn in a lane with 2 or more cars turning in the other lane, it's a total fuster cluck. No one gets thru, the intersection clogs with people trying to pass in front of each other. Doing it he "wrong" way, the cars just keep filing out, one behind the other. No crossing in front of each other.

This is when that taking turns thing we learned in kindergarten comes into play. But so many people have a road rage issue with the zipper merge that I have no hope they'll be able to navigate a crossover civilly.

This is when that taking turns thing we learned in kindergarten comes into play. But so many people have a road rage issue with the zipper merge that I have no hope they'll be able to navigate a crossover civilly.
I don't see it as a matter of civility, but of ability to flow. In the "correct" example above, let's say the yellow car cannot pull into traffic because it's quitting time on Rt 235. If he can't move, neither does the entire lane of red cars turning the other way. The yellow car, in an attempt to see the traffic coming, will pull further into the intersection and block the red car from turning. If they use the "incorrect" method, the red line is not affected by the yellow car being stopped.

DannyMotorcycle

in the "incorrect way" both cars can pull forward a bit to clear each other and see.. how's it go, in theory theory always right, in practice it is not? The wrong way is probably better IMO

DQ2B

I don't give a rats A$$ if the "other" way flows better. It's incorrect and it causes a confusing mess for the half of the people actually following the rules of the road. And if there's that many cars, they shouldn't pull that far up into the actual crossover section of the road but wait until there is room enough to be there. Additionally, when there isn't ANY merge area (just a crossover) people should NOT pull into the crossover until the car in front of them has left. Pulling up to their left when the first car is making a left turn is pure stupidity. Twice now I've seen this and the first car has no IDEA a car has pulled up on their left (because they are looking right) and that poor bastard clips the idiot that pulled up on their left.

awpitt

Main Streeter
The driving habit I hate is when people make left turns and cross into opposite traffic when reaching the end of their left turn. This happens all the time at intersections where there's no median barrier to remind them of the obvious.

Attachments

• left2.jpg
    left2.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 341

lucky_bee

RBF expert
The driving habit I hate is when people make left turns and cross into opposite traffic when reaching the end of their left turn. This happens all the time at intersections where there's no median barrier to remind them of the obvious.
I make that turn multiple times a day, in a fairly large vehicle. Can't tell you how many times I have to stop in the middle of the intersection, bc I'm in the far left turning lane, and someone in the right-left turn late doesn't stay within their turn lane as they turn onto Chancellor's with me. Or watching the cars ahead of me do exactly that: drive right over the stopping area where a barrier really should be - as a car approaches. :jameo:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I love my commute. :dance:

Me too! :high5:

So let's do merging now!

When the sign says the lane is ending and you should merge left or right, you're supposed to wait until the merge actually begins, then zipper in taking turns like we were taught on Romper Room. What you're NOT supposed to do is get over immediately, leaving a whole lane with no cars in it so you can jam up a single lane.

And what you're DEFINITELY not supposed to do is jam over and then get all road ragey at the people who do it correctly.

Take THAT, Aps!

glhs837

Power with Control

With you on that one. Also love idiots who think they need to swerve a little right before turning left, as if they were driving a friken semi.

My worst peeve is where there are two lanes to turn left, a car is in the left-most turn lane, and halfway thru the intersection decides to be in the right lane, completely cutting off the car turning in the right-most lane.

This happens all the time coming out of Maple onto 235SB. Some asshat in the left-most turn lane cuts across all lanes to get to Sheetz causing chaos in the process.