Furniture buying places

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Ooh, I just found this! I'll drive by after work. If it's still there, the price is right!

Attachments

• china cabinet at re new perry.jpg
    china cabinet at re new perry.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 315

PeoplesElbow

So I spent the day Saturday furniture shopping up in Waldorf. First and foremost, traffic is a fustercluck. :lol: But I managed to hit four stores and my reviews are below, from lowest to highest ranked:

• Regency - what a joke! Huge warehouse where fugly furniture goes to die. Horribly overpriced, too. Next! :boo: :boo:
  • Value City Furniture - When did the 80's chrome and glass come back into style? NEXT!!! :boo:
  • Bob's Discount Furniture - An older gentleman named Roger greeted me as I entered the store. I said it was my first time shopping there so he gave me a nice rundown of their pricing system and where stuff was located in the store. Found some nice pieces while wandering and took pics of them. Roger saw me as I was leaving, asked what I had found, and explained their delivery policy to me. All straight forward and no nonsense. :yay:
  • Ashley HomeStore - Now we're talking! Beautiful setups and many styles to choose from! The store is right down from VCF and I didn't even realize it was there until I went to pull out. I walk in and an old friend is working there, so we chatted for a few minutes and then he left me alone so I could explore on my own. Prices were reasonable but a bit more than Bob's but it was also higher quality. Took more pics of what I liked and talked to H on my way out about delivery. Overall a very good experience. :yay: :yay:

Still exploring buying used, other stores in other areas, and online sources. Anyone ever buy from Wayfair.com?

You didn't find the stuff at Bobs to be ugly and cheap? I went in there once about two years ago and most of the furniture was mirrored stuff that looks like it would have cocaine snorted off of it in a cheap brothel in an 80s movie.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
You didn't find the stuff at Bobs to be ugly and cheap? I went in there once about two years ago and most of the furniture was mirrored stuff that looks like it would have cocaine snorted off of it in a cheap brothel in an 80s movie.

My sister ordered a piece from Bob's to check their quality (she has a small bedding store).

Anne Marie is about 4' 9" and, maybe 90# soaking wet. She said she snapped Bob's wooden bed frame with her bare hands.

mAlice

professional daydreamer

I don't think it's as big as the other one I was going to look at, but it's bigger than the one I have. It's turn of the century (early 1900's, not this century), but that's all they knew. The woman at the shop (this is a church charity shop) said she would see if she can find out anymore history on it. I paid a whopping $300. for it. I would have probably paid a couple thousand for the other one at the antique mall, and I like this one better. It suits the other furniture in the room. One of the first things I bought when we bought the house down here was a medieval influence buffet. Pretty simple, overall, but still medieval.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
He's still restricted to a fairly small section of the keeping room. There's not much he can hurt there, but he did go after the bar supports a few days ago. He gives new meaning to "eat you out of house and home".

What a handsome smooshball! Obviously in the teething phase and they will chew on ANYTHING during it. :lol:

Ooh, I just found this! I'll drive by after work. If it's still there, the price is right!

I don't think it's as big as the other one I was going to look at, but it's bigger than the one I have. It's turn of the century (early 1900's, not this century), but that's all they knew. The woman at the shop (this is a church charity shop) said she would see if she can find out anymore history on it. I paid a whopping $300. for it. I would have probably paid a couple thousand for the other one at the antique mall, and I like this one better. It suits the other furniture in the room. One of the first things I bought when we bought the house down here was a medieval influence buffet. Pretty simple, overall, but still medieval.

Beautiful piece AND price! :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

It was the first place I stopped. VCF was more like you described. But yes, I checked under the hood and it was pretty cheaply made. Lots of pressboard, staples, and no dovetailing on the drawers. My thought process was that it is affordable and usable until I find something better I can afford. BUT I just got some unexpected money and it has definitely tipped me in favor of Ashley. :yahoo:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
My sister ordered a piece from Bob's to check their quality (she has a small bedding store).

Anne Marie is about 4' 9" and, maybe 90# soaking wet. She said she snapped Bob's wooden bed frame with her bare hands.

Thank you. I will definitely keep it in mind. But so far Ashley is winning. :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
So I have decided to order the furniture I really like from Ashley, thanks to a nice tax refund coming this year. :yahoo:

Has anybody ever ordered from Wayfair.com? The prices are great and I have mad skillz (and help from friends) to put furniture together. Seems to be a lot like Overstock.com but I like their selection better.

PeoplesElbow

Damn I should have jumped on them when I was there. I'm 6'5" 290.

PeoplesElbow

So I have decided to order the furniture I really like from Ashley, thanks to a nice tax refund coming this year. :yahoo:

Has anybody ever ordered from Wayfair.com? The prices are great and I have mad skillz (and help from friends) to put furniture together. Seems to be a lot like Overstock.com but I like their selection better.

I was just browsing their site last night, was looking for a kitchen island. I found their prices on kitchen islands to be kind of high, I would never buy furniture that cost that much without actually giving it the feel test. I make most of my own stuff but browse furniture stores for design ideas as I have no imagination myself.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I was just browsing their site last night, was looking for a kitchen island. I found their prices on kitchen islands to be kind of high, I would never buy furniture that cost that much without actually giving it the feel test. I make most of my own stuff but browse furniture stores for design ideas as I have no imagination myself.

I did some more digging to see how they were rated by consumers and the BBB. There seems to be a lot of complaints but most seem to be about the delivery itself which they outsource to a third party.

Funny enough, I was looking around and found the exact sofa and love seat I am planning on getting from Ashley but the price was MUCH higher. Like hundred of dollars each higher. Hmm...

PeoplesElbow

I did some more digging to see how they were rated by consumers and the BBB. There seems to be a lot of complaints but most seem to be about the delivery itself which they outsource to a third party.

Funny enough, I was looking around and found the exact sofa and love seat I am planning on getting from Ashley but the price was MUCH higher. Like hundred of dollars each higher. Hmm...

Raleys?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
An update:

The furniture from Ashley was delivered yesterday. From start to finish, buying from them has been an awesome experience. Good communication from them on the status of my order, Saturday delivery option so I didn't have to take off from work, a call during the 4 hour delivery window from the driver telling me they we 30 minutes out, and a very courteous and hard working crew of two had everything in the house, set up, and trash removed in an hour. And before they left, a call to their dispatcher who I talked to personally to ensure no damage and my experience was good. :yay:

Here is the living room, with the chair, sofa, and love seat from them and tags still attached. Absolutely love it and so comfy!

20180310_115322.jpg

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
@Jazz Lady...I work retail, so it is good to read a customer had an experience, which should be unremarkable.