Gas Prices!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Qpid said:
There is nothing we as the consumer can do!!! We have no choice....

Someone said, boycott Exxon/Mobile...what good will that do??
You can explore other methods of transportation. Take the bus. Ride a bike. Carpool. Yes, that may be inconvenient, but everything comes at a price.

It's like environmentalists that cry about pollution and whatever other evil things oil companies do to kill us all. I'm like, you go first. And then they come back with a zillion reasons why they can't give up their car/plane/boat/mansion/whatever, but we should give up our vehicles and ride our bikes to work.

If you want gas for your car or heat for your house, you pay the price. Otherwise build a windmill and buy a bicycle. :shrug:

SamSpade

BuddyLee said:
Enough about the milk and cheese already, it's pointless. Oil is a resource and a limited one at that. Be happy for what you pay now, just wait for the future. I don't see people fighting over milk and cheese.
Hey, calm down Buddy. Last I read, this is a thread about Gas Prices. My remark hasn't changed - a 40% hike in gasoline hurts more than a 40% hike in just about anything else I use. Short of lobbying Congress, all I can do for the moment is bellyache. So I'm doing that.

BuddyLee

Football addict
SamSpade said:
Hey, calm down Buddy. Last I read, this is a thread about Gas Prices. My remark hasn't changed - a 40% hike in gasoline hurts more than a 40% hike in just about anything else I use. Short of lobbying Congress, all I can do for the moment is bellyache. So I'm doing that.
Sitting with a glass of tea Sam.:lol:

I complained about gas prices at one point in time as well, it didn't change much of anything. Maybe this conversation is still going for the sake of saving 'conversation'. Something to gripe about to total stangers besides weather and sports. "Hey Bill, how about those gas prices?".

itsbob

I bowl overhand
vraiblonde said:
You can explore other methods of transportation. Take the bus. Ride a bike. Carpool. Yes, that may be inconvenient, but everything comes at a price.

It's like environmentalists that cry about pollution and whatever other evil things oil companies do to kill us all. I'm like, you go first. And then they come back with a zillion reasons why they can't give up their car/plane/boat/mansion/whatever, but we should give up our vehicles and ride our bikes to work.

If you want gas for your car or heat for your house, you pay the price. Otherwise build a windmill and buy a bicycle. :shrug:
ED ZACHARY...

I agreed with VRAI!!

is He!! frozen over yet??

SamSpade

vraiblonde said:
My bellyaching presumes that SOMEHOW - the crisis will end. As of right now, a windmill or bicycle is an expensive solution to a (presumed) short term problem. It doesn't help my situation to say, buy a motorcycle at several thousands, to save a few thousands LESS. I do take the bus, but I still have to sacrifice an hour and a half of extra commuting time each day.

I AM hoping there'll be enough griping that Congress will actually DO what they said they'd do back in 70's, when they actually claimed the world would be almost out of oil by now. They need to build more nuclear plants - Japan and France rely on them almost *exclusively*, and, barring simply BEING Japanese or French - it hasn't hurt them any. (Most power plants HERE run on fossil fuels). We need a realistic method of using coal. We have huge reserves of nuclear fuel and coal in THIS country - we need to exploit that.

We need to explore more ways of creating our non-fuel products that we rely on oil for. Ironically, we consume an enormous amount of oil to build the ROADS we burn them on.

janey83

Twenty Something
Okay...first off, Daydreamer -- I love your icon! Baby Stewie!

Anyway, gas prices going up is definitely something to worry about. As a result of higher prices at the pumps, you will have to pay more for everything else -- postal service rates will increase, prices of food will increase, even public transportation will increase because it's costing more and more money to transport stuff BECAUSE OF THE PRICE OF GAS.

Eventually, and I'm talking in our lifetimes -- oil WILL run out. Sure, hybrids are on the market but they're so expensive and not as easy to find, in fact, most people go on waiting lists just to purchase a Toyota Prius!

Gas has always been more expensive in other countries, in Japan in the 1980's, gas was around $3 something a gallon, but their cars are more efficient and use less gasoline. In the United States, you really have to make a good decision about what kind of vehicle to buy (don't buy a Hummer & whine about gas costs), but buy a sensible one that is kept in good condition and uses less fuel than other gas guzzlers.

:shrug: It's just sad because there's really no way out of this one, you can't feasibly walk to work in this town because of how the streets are designed. Everyone is forced to just fill up their cars at the current prices. And yes, it sucks.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Which leads to my question:

WHY does the price of stuff go up? Yes, I know how it works - COGS goes up, so prices go up, so wages go up, etc, etc. But why? Why can't stuff be the same price as they were in the 50's?

How does inflation work? Someone school me in simple language so I don't have to explode my brain trying to get a google education.

Bogart

huntr1 said:
I wish we only went thru 3 gallons of milk a week. We go thru atleast a gallon a DAY. It pays for us to drive from Charlotte Hall to California to go to BJ's just for milk. It's like $3.80 a gallon at Food Lion, and $2.32 a gallon @ Bj's. We buy it 10-14 gallons at a time.
You can milk just about anything with nipples.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Supply And Demand

vraiblonde said:
Which leads to my question:

WHY does the price of stuff go up? Yes, I know how it works - COGS goes up, so prices go up, so wages go up, etc, etc. But why? Why can't stuff be the same price as they were in the 50's?

How does inflation work? Someone school me in simple language so I don't have to explode my brain trying to get a google education.

EXAMPLE: The amount of server space available to you is in balance. There's not too much, nor too little, IE it makes business sense for you at it's current cost. Call this, server costs, 'A' or think of it as gas price per gallon.

You're paying for what you need and what you need is available in amounts that the market is happy with. This includes the guys who make servers. The people who supply them with the parts and the guys who house and service your servers.

Your server space demand goes up some every year as does everyone elses, worldwide, according to your plans and customers demands and demand in a nation that is growing a bit better than predicted is using even a bit more, China. In a perfect world, all this growth is accounted for in the future plans of the server supply chain so as not to cause disruption of the market. What if your business is growing a bit better than you'd planed? What if everyones is? Ah, the symptoms of a healthy economy.

Well, we find that the guys who put together the servers had not planned aggressively enough for future growth. There is plenty of parts and supplies but the demand for new servers is running 5% ahead of production.

Everyone who had planned on using more server space is screaming bloody murder that their order get filled; their business depends on it. So, somebody is willing to pay a bit more to make sure they get theirs on time. The next guy is willing to pay a bit more. The next guy HAS to or he won't even, figuratively speaking, be able to get to work. And so on.

Imagine that there is something special about putting servers together, some final process that can't just be sped up in short order. Call this the 'refinery' stage. Whatever the conditions, the point is you simply can not just go faster
and it will take years to add to that capacity.

In the mean time, the parts are there, the service is there, the end user is there, all tapping their fingers, waiting, figuring new ways to compete, to be able to afford the higher cost associated with the artificial slowdown in the supply of servers and thus server space.

Is there another way? Is it cheaper? Will the problem be fixed before we initiate this new way? Can we cut costs here? raise prices there?

So, server space price has caused a ripple because business is reacting to the problem. Will this inflate some prices? Drive others down? What about down stream from those price increases and/or decreases?

Depending on how balanced out the economy is all the way through, from labor, to transportation to marketing and so on, things may vary.

To oil:

There is plenty of oil but global refinery capacity has maxed out. China's economy is growing as is ours as is the worlds. Demand for gasoline has out paced supply at the pump. The supply is chasing the higher dollars that a competitive market is wiling to pay to make sure they get theirs, on time and in the amount needed.

Most electricity is provided by coal which is cheap and plentiful. As it is not winter yet, the real pinch is being felt at the pump BUT it is spread out over ALL of us. If you drive 25,000 miles a year and you get 20 mpg, using 1,250 gallons of gas at about $1 more per gallon, you're spending an extra $1,250 a year which is real money BUT it's only about $.50 an hour in wages to cancel it out, call it $.75 to allow for taxes.

Anyone not getting a $.75 raise this year? You gonna ride a moped to save $1,000 or so?

Lustrust

Oil Prices are Sky High Too!

Have oil delivered lately. We just did. Last year, we paid $1.64; last month $2.11 and on budget plan SMO said we are locked in at no more than $2.29/gallon - that's rediculous too. :angry:

StarCat said:
:mad: I hope I'm posting this in the right section...

Is anyone else REALLY fed up with the dramatic increase in gas prices, just in the last few weeks? It cost me $29 to fill up my Elantra today at BJ's for $2.44 a gallon. When I bought the car in September 2003, it cost me $15 to fill it up. I'm really dreading tomorrow when we have to fill up my husband's Trailblazer, which gets a whopping 250/300 (IF we are lucky) miles per tank...I would start riding my bicycle but I would probably look fairly stupid with 2 car seats hanging off of it :razz:

BuddyLee

Football addict
janey83 said:
Okay...first off, Daydreamer -- I love your icon! Baby Stewie!

Anyway, gas prices going up is definitely something to worry about. As a result of higher prices at the pumps, you will have to pay more for everything else -- postal service rates will increase, prices of food will increase, even public transportation will increase because it's costing more and more money to transport stuff BECAUSE OF THE PRICE OF GAS.

Eventually, and I'm talking in our lifetimes -- oil WILL run out. Sure, hybrids are on the market but they're so expensive and not as easy to find, in fact, most people go on waiting lists just to purchase a Toyota Prius!

Gas has always been more expensive in other countries, in Japan in the 1980's, gas was around $3 something a gallon, but their cars are more efficient and use less gasoline. In the United States, you really have to make a good decision about what kind of vehicle to buy (don't buy a Hummer & whine about gas costs), but buy a sensible one that is kept in good condition and uses less fuel than other gas guzzlers.

:shrug: It's just sad because there's really no way out of this one, you can't feasibly walk to work in this town because of how the streets are designed. Everyone is forced to just fill up their cars at the current prices. And yes, it sucks.
The future awaits us.

Triggerfish

terbear1225 said:
I agree with you to a certain extent. Unfortunately, no matter how quickly new vehicles are designed and manufactured that would free people from paying the higher gas prices, those who really need the break from the added expense are those who are least likely to be able to afford a new vehicle. Even if a dozen good hybrid designs go on the market tomorrow, it'll be a very long time before we as a nation can say we're free from foreign oil.

BTW what I stated was very general. No timeline mentioned. I did not mention hybrid cars. Hybrid cars aren't an alternate energy sources. Also all I stated was the positive part of it, of course there is going to be problems with developing an alternative source of energy but it should free us from foreign oil and/or reduce pollution eventually. What I was getting at was that maybe the high oil prices will convince someone (either here or in Japan since they're even more dependent on foreign oil) to get off their butts and find an alternative.

Biofuels, if I remember correctly can be burned in today's cars with little to no modification.

Pushrod

Patriot
All that talk about milk and cheese and gas has made me hungry. I think I'll go munch on a stick of cheddar, wash it down with a cold glass of milk, then produce some of my own gas... cheaply!

C

canuk woman

vraiblonde said:
You oughta! And take video so we can all be entertained. :jet: Will this be before or after you throw pee on Angelina Jolie?

i can trash them both at the same time

C

canuk woman

workin hard said:

yeah i'm that serious where i live gas prices have hit the one dollar a gallon mark and it's not cool when will they invent an electric car no gas needed

C

canuk woman

Ehesef said:
What the hell do you know, you're what, like 14? Christ.

i'll be 16 in two months and where i live the prices are over a dollar and we are peeved