Gas Prices!

Peanut

Living It Up
Mikeinsmd said:
Stop transmitting the peenut call...... :mad:

You know, I sit back and I try my hardest to stay quiet and mind my own business, but for some reason you seem to bring up my name quite frequently. I wish I knew why you had it in for me so. :confused:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
SamSpade said:
Don't you work in the DC area? Why don't you take the bus? You could probably do it pretty damned cheap. Most times, I just take a nap on the way in and back from work.
I'm in the DC area, specifically Virginia. The nearest Metro is several blocks away and not accessible by walking. I have no other choice but to drive myself. :ohwell:

nomoney said:
My family goes through 3 gallons of milk just under a week
I wish we only went thru 3 gallons of milk a week. We go thru atleast a gallon a DAY. It pays for us to drive from Charlotte Hall to California to go to BJ's just for milk. It's like $3.80 a gallon at Food Lion, and $2.32 a gallon @ Bj's. We buy it 10-14 gallons at a time.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
SamSpade said:
This is the idiotic comment so often repeated by George Will, who frequently comments that a gallon of milk costs so much more.

The thing is, it takes me a WEEK to use up a gallon of milk at the rate I drink it (coffee, cereal, cooking).

It takes me about twenty five MINUTES to consume a gallon of gas.
You could always walk 25 miles. and see if you agree a gallon of gas at $5 a gallon is worth more then a gallon of Gatorade at $1.50

SamSpade

itsbob said:
You could always walk 25 miles. and see if you agree a gallon of gas at $5 a gallon is worth more then a gallon of Gatorade at $1.50
That doesn't really have anything to do with what we're talking about.

The complaint goes up often that the price of gas is --- high. This happens every time it goes up appreciably, although it's gone up a LOT in the last few months. I have no idea why, either - last couple of times it went up this high, we had an actual EMBARGO. No such thing today.

But I digress.

Invariably someone will comment that MILK is say, 3.50 a gallon and therefore costs a LOT more than gas. Usually, it's one of those talking heads on TV who lives in New York and either takes the subway or hails a cab - i.e. has NO idea about the impact of higher gas prices.

Back to ME - the cost of a gallon of gas hurts my budget MUCH more than the cost of a gallon of ice cream or milk - because I consume a LOT more gas than milk. In fact, MOST people do. I'm sure there are exceptions, but most car drivers use a lot more gas than milk.

So when some schmuch says "why you getting bent out of shape over a couple of quarters worth of gas? it's still cheaper than milk" I'd have to reply "yeah, but do you drink 100-150 gallons of milk a month?". At a gallon of milk A DAY - which is enormous - the amount I spend on gas would STILL dwarf the milk cost.

SamSpade

Chasey_Lane said:
I'm in the DC area, specifically Virginia. The nearest Metro is several blocks away and not accessible by walking. I have no other choice but to drive myself. :ohwell:
Well, that's a shame then. My commute is a mere 17 miles up 235 to the bus stop - and then I ride into Suitland. I usually walk the rest of the way which is about a half mile (when I weighed a lot more, I always took the shuttle).

Total cost to me, excluding the gas to and from the stop - about 70 bucks a *year*. The rest comes to me in the form of Metro Checks, which can be either used as Metro Fare Cards or traded in for Keller Bus tickets.

This saves me about 2-300 bucks a month, by my estimation.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
SamSpade said:

Of course it does.. if you feel you are being cheated, and the cost of gas is unreasonalbe, tell them with your wallet about your disatisfaction.. don't buy any!! If you feel the value of a gallon of gas is worth not having to walk 25 miles, then contiune to buy, thus telling the gas companies that in your opinion it is still a good value at $3 or even $5 a gallon. NOBODY is forcing you to buy it.. Go buy a ton of coal instead, or build a solar powered car.. Personally I would pay a good deal of money to ride in my Air Conditioned car, versus waling 25 miles in 100 degree heat and 85% humidity!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Chasey_Lane said:
Drive to the Metro!??

How far EXACTLY is several blocks?? Ride a bike to the Metro?

AND walking distance is imaginary.. EVERYwhere is within walking distance, just depends on how much time you have.

Big Momma

I'll be your butterball
SamSpade said:
Well, that's a shame then. My commute is a mere 17 miles up 235 to the bus stop - and then I ride into Suitland. I usually walk the rest of the way which is about a half mile (when I weighed a lot more, I always took the shuttle).

Total cost to me, excluding the gas to and from the stop - about 70 bucks a *year*. The rest comes to me in the form of Metro Checks, which can be either used as Metro Fare Cards or traded in for Keller Bus tickets.

This saves me about 2-300 bucks a month, by my estimation.

Then why you be complainin bout the gas prices if you is saving all this money anyhow? You is stranger than a box of hair, that's what I think.

Mikeinsmd

Peanut said:
You know, I sit back and I try my hardest to stay quiet and mind my own business, but for some reason you seem to bring up my name quite frequently. I wish I knew why you had it in for me so. :confused:

Oh you're not so quiet in other forums missy!! And to answer your question I'll use a quote from the oh so lovable Big Momma:
Big Momma said:
You is stranger than a box of hair, that's what I think.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
itsbob said:
Drive to the Metro!??

How far EXACTLY is several blocks?? Ride a bike to the Metro?
The closest Metro from my work is a 10-15 minute car ride. Not sure that my daughter would like it on the back of a bike, but I could always ask her.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Chasey_Lane said:
The closest Metro from my work is a 10-15 minute car ride. Not sure that my daughter would like it on the back of a bike, but I could always ask her.
Of course she would.. ALL kids like to ride on bikes!!

SamSpade

itsbob said:
Of course it does.. if you feel you are being cheated, and the cost of gas is unreasonalbe, tell them with your wallet about your disatisfaction.. don't buy any!! If you feel the value of a gallon of gas is worth not having to walk 25 miles, then contiune to buy, thus telling the gas companies that in your opinion it is still a good value at $3 or even $5 a gallon. NOBODY is forcing you to buy it.. Go buy a ton of coal instead, or build a solar powered car.. Personally I would pay a good deal of money to ride in my Air Conditioned car, versus waling 25 miles in 100 degree heat and 85% humidity!
Yes, those are all REAL alternatives....

:duh:

I actually have a 50 mile hike one way to work - and it's physically impossible to do that without some kind of motorized transportation and still actually make it to work on time. Even at a fairly BRISK pace, I'd arrive just in time to go back home.

Secondly - we're not talking boycott. We're talking about the relative impact on my wallet, since the gas costs are an unpleasant fact of life - i.e. I am paying them because I don't have an alternative even if it goes to 20 bucks a gallon. I don't have a solar-powered car or a coal fired engine, and I'm not likely to have one for the rest of my life.

Some schmuck is saying "what's the problem? You pay more for milk" and I'm saying "No I don't. I pay more per UNIT COST for milk. Nobody pays more for milk. Nobody spends 300 bucks more for milk".

If I had reasonable alternatives, I'd use them. Obviously, I don't. Hence my griping, which again, some schmuck is telling me is baseless. He's wrong. My monthly cost of gas went up by 100 bucks a month on a commodity I depend on.

SamSpade

Big Momma said:
Then why you be complainin bout the gas prices if you is saving all this money anyhow? You is stranger than a box of hair, that's what I think.
I *STILL* have to pay for gas, sweetie. The bus don't come to my DOOR. In fact, my drive to the bus stop alone is longer than some people's commutes. And I have other responsibilities on weekends, evenings etc.

And I ain't the only one in the household DRIVING.

Just cause I am *saving* money by exploiting my alternatives, doesn't mean I don't have the costs just the same.

Qpid

There is nothing we as the consumer can do!!! We have no choice....

Someone said, boycott Exxon/Mobile...what good will that do??

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
canuk woman said:
those greedy souless f******* gas people i oughta stick the pumps up their a***
You oughta! And take video so we can all be entertained. :jet: Will this be before or after you throw pee on Angelina Jolie?

BuddyLee

Football addict
SamSpade said:

The complaint goes up often that the price of gas is --- high. This happens every time it goes up appreciably, although it's gone up a LOT in the last few months. I have no idea why, either - last couple of times it went up this high, we had an actual EMBARGO. No such thing today.

But I digress.

Invariably someone will comment that MILK is say, 3.50 a gallon and therefore costs a LOT more than gas. Usually, it's one of those talking heads on TV who lives in New York and either takes the subway or hails a cab - i.e. has NO idea about the impact of higher gas prices.

Back to ME - the cost of a gallon of gas hurts my budget MUCH more than the cost of a gallon of ice cream or milk - because I consume a LOT more gas than milk. In fact, MOST people do. I'm sure there are exceptions, but most car drivers use a lot more gas than milk.

So when some schmuch says "why you getting bent out of shape over a couple of quarters worth of gas? it's still cheaper than milk" I'd have to reply "yeah, but do you drink 100-150 gallons of milk a month?". At a gallon of milk A DAY - which is enormous - the amount I spend on gas would STILL dwarf the milk cost.
Enough about the milk and cheese already, it's pointless. Oil is a resource and a limited one at that. Be happy for what you pay now, just wait for the future. I don't see people fighting over milk and cheese.