Gate 3

FollowTheMoney

If you think that the two week SC/CS exercise is simply about security at the gates, you're sadly mistaken. The fact of the matter is that there are exercise/drill events taking place every day over that 2-week period, but they are done in such a way to minimize disruption to the base workforce as much as possible. Yesterday, there was an active shooter exercise event at one of our larger buildings. That exercise took several hours and served to test and further train our law enforcement personnel, fire and emergency services personnel and the workforce within the building on proper procedures. Other events will be less obvious, but are all equally important in keeping the base and its workforce safe. Is there or will there every be a 100% solution? No, there will not. However, doing nothing is not the answer.
Also during this two weeks...and throughout the year for that matter, "false credential" attempts are made on each gate, at random times on random days. Do they catch every one of them? No. They do catch most of them though and they get better all the time.
It's funny. Measures are put into place in order to better protect the base, i.e., closer scrutiny on credentials. The result is ALWAYS a slow down at the gates. That slow down results in the workforce bitching to their leadership and that leadership bitching to the base Commander. Base Commander relaxes the posture just a little bit to ease up on the traffic, i.e., scanning every 10th person v. every 5th, or whatever...and them some all knowing jack-wad (cough, cough) complains about being vulnerable. A never ending cycle that can't be won.
My "(cough, cough)" position is that it's all theater. Once a vehicle is on base, it's on base, and can go basically anywhere. Stopping every vehicle prior to entering does absolutely nothing for security. You want to be an apologist, go right ahead.

Midnightrider

My "(cough, cough)" position is that it's all theater. Once a vehicle is on base, it's on base, and can go basically anywhere. Stopping every vehicle prior to entering does absolutely nothing for security. You want to be an apologist, go right ahead.

it prevents people who do not have credentials from entering the facility. I would say that is something.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
Somewhere out there there is a tree tirelessly producing oxygen so you can breath, I think you owe it an apology.

glhs837

Power with Control

But that's the best chance of catching someone will ill intent. No security is perfect, can't be. You always draw the best compromise you can. You have a better idea? Sound off.

bulldog

I apologize only when I have said or done something wrong, which is not the case here. Your comment that security measures do nothing for security only proves your lack of knowledge on the subject and suggests that you're simply bitter for one reason or another. Of course once a vehicle is on base it can go freely to anywhere other than restricted areas. That is perfectly logical given that in order to get the credentials to pass through the gate, that person would have to successfully pass the background check to issue the credentials. While certainly not a perfect solution, it's far from useless. Your idea of an open base or returning to a window decal (assuming you mean base sticker) is really the joke. An open base is obviously not a good idea and base stickers were useless except to identify between officers and enlisted. I personally know of countless cars that have been sold person to person where the seller did not remove the sticker as is required. Under your idea, that car would not get clear access to the base and could very likely not be authorized.
Credentials get scanned on a random basis and that scanning is yet another layer of protection to stop unauthorized persons from gaining access to the base.
No system is perfect, but what we have is far better than you suggest it is and light years better than your idea of open or base stickers.

CrashTest

You have a better idea? Sound off.

You could send someone to Ft. Bragg and observe how they move 40,000 people on and off that base everyday. Maybe get some pointers. Almost 15 years after 9/11 and PAX is still closing lanes and shuffling cones around a couple times a day.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Question, not regarding the security issue at hand.

A couple of weeks ago, a friend and I wanted to go see a movie on the weekend. I showed my CAC, but my friend doesn't have base access, so they turned me around. I have never had that happen before. I'm a Contractor.

Comments?

bulldog

A couple of weeks ago, a friend and I wanted to go see a movie on the weekend. I showed my CAC, but my friend doesn't have base access, so they turned me around. I have never had that happen before. I'm a Contractor.

Comments?

You are not authorized to sponsor guests onto the base.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member

Comments?

You are not authorized to sponsor guests onto the base.

Been that way since I got stationed here in 91.

glhs837

Power with Control
You could send someone to Ft. Bragg and observe how they move 40,000 people on and off that base everyday. Maybe get some pointers. Almost 15 years after 9/11 and PAX is still closing lanes and shuffling cones around a couple times a day.

Have't been to Bragg, but I'll guess a lot more lanes, an unlimited number of otherwise unoccupied soldiers to check IDs. One gate I just looked at, has nine lanes inbound. Others look to have another 9 lanes between them. Yep, doubling your lanes in will sure decrease your wait times. You got the budget for that?

mamatutu

mama to two
If you have to be authorized to be on a military base, what sense would it make to let someone on without authorization even when accompanied by someone who is authorized? Thank goodness, something still works.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
If you have to be authorized to be on a military base, what sense would it make to let someone on without authorization even when accompanied by someone who is authorized? Thank goodness, something still works.

Has anyone ever called you an idiot?

CrashTest

Have't been to Bragg, but I'll guess a lot more lanes, an unlimited number of otherwise unoccupied soldiers to check IDs. One gate I just looked at, has nine lanes inbound. Others look to have another 9 lanes between them. Yep, doubling your lanes in will sure decrease your wait times. You got the budget for that?

I wonder what it costs to move cones around for 15 years? :whack:

bulldog

Bragg has more lanes at their main ECP than we have on the entire base, all 3 ECPs combined. I have no idea and won't take the time to research how many other ECPs they may have to help with base access. On top of that, I suspect that their manning for the ECPs is much better. It's a base full of Soldiers, after all. Our manning for security forces sux, at best and it gets worse all the time.

FED_UP

Interesting. Both my sistard and I have brought people on base before without base ID. Guard did tell me that my daughter is allowed because she is under 16. Once she reaches that age, no bueno.

Guards can be generous at times.