Gate 3

glhs837

Power with Control
I wonder what it costs to move cones around for 15 years? :whack:

Well, there you get into budgeting. Which pot of money pays for what and all that. Entry control is just one aspect of security, and there are mandated requirements you cant blow off just because you are annoying the workforce. I agree it sucks, but I understand why it is the way it is.

SG_Player1974

Bottom line is that the PAX base was not engineered and designed to handle the amount of occupancy that it now has. I shutter to think how long it would take to expand on this after seeing some of the "recent" construction projects in these parts.

Nothing is going to be done about it until someone with a couple stars on their shoulder actually gets involved and steps up.

CrashTest

Well, there you get into budgeting. Which pot of money pays for what and all that. Entry control is just one aspect of security, and there are mandated requirements you cant blow off just because you are annoying the workforce. I agree it sucks, but I understand why it is the way it is.

How about annoying the highly trained and highly skilled sailors and law enforcement officers who spend their careers moving cones around.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
There was NO traffic this morning. I backed out of my garage at 7:40 and was sitting at my desk at 8AM - sharp. What's up with that!?!

NTNG

One sailor and 2 DOD police officers when I came thru, in each lane < Gate 1 > They set a new standard for themselves. No more " we don't have enough people" argument.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
There was NO traffic this morning. I backed out of my garage at 7:40 and was sitting at my desk at 8AM - sharp. What's up with that!?!

The Commander is a member of the forum, and as such, read that some people were inconvenienced. He took the advice (and bitching) to heart and did something about it. What's so hard to understand? :shrug:

blacklabman

The Commander is a member of the forum, and as such, read that some people were inconvenienced. He took the advice (and bitching) to heart and did something about it. What's so hard to understand? :shrug:

Commander of NAS? It's a she. Perhaps a different commander.

Goldenhawk

One sailor and 2 DOD police officers when I came thru, in each lane < Gate 1 > They set a new standard for themselves. No more " we don't have enough people" argument.
Disclaimer: I have no connection with Pax security or command; these are my opinions based on what I see happening and what I read in news articles about these issues. YMMV.

Consider that the base only has a certain number of security forces available. During an exercise period like Solid Curtain, they will occasionally have to pull some of the security forces normally handling gate duties during morning rush hour to cover other simulated emergencies. That's part of the exercise - discovering how the security force setup can handle an emergency while still covering more mundane duties like gate traffic. Of course they can't send everyone to either location. So clearly such an exercise as SC/CS will affect gate traffic; they'll have minimal staff at the gates for some part of the exercise.

(In fact, I'd guess that part of the drill is hitting them two places at once - drawing off staff for a simulated emergency, then trying to sneak someone thru the gate. And you can be confident someone will analyze their response, and make appropriate corrections.)

Does it suck for people coming on base in the morning? Sure.

Does it help them identify weaknesses in the security posture? Absolutely.

For my part, I'm fine with suffering through a couple days of backed up traffic to know that the base security is doing a good job and identifying weak points in security, so they can fix it. No, it's really NOT "security theater". There are highly paid, very smart people doing their darndest to keep us all safe, given the externally-imposed constraints of budget and billets. For this exercise, very smart people are designing challenging security scenarios that fully tax their resources on multiple fronts. I'm fine with the results, even when I'm occasionally annoyed.

bulldog

Having 3 people checking IDs at every lane will produce that result.

Winner!

Ah, and therein is the problem. They were able to augment at the gates by pulling resources from other areas. They will not be able to maintain that for long so the relief, while welcome, will be short lived.

Nope.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with Pax security or command; these are my opinions based on what I see happening and what I read in news articles about these issues. YMMV.

Consider that the base only has a certain number of security forces available. During an exercise period like Solid Curtain, they will occasionally have to pull some of the security forces normally handling gate duties during morning rush hour to cover other simulated emergencies. That's part of the exercise - discovering how the security force setup can handle an emergency while still covering more mundane duties like gate traffic. Of course they can't send everyone to either location. So clearly such an exercise as SC/CS will affect gate traffic; they'll have minimal staff at the gates for some part of the exercise.

(In fact, I'd guess that part of the drill is hitting them two places at once - drawing off staff for a simulated emergency, then trying to sneak someone thru the gate. And you can be confident someone will analyze their response, and make appropriate corrections.)

Does it suck for people coming on base in the morning? Sure.

Does it help them identify weaknesses in the security posture? Absolutely.

For my part, I'm fine with suffering through a couple days of backed up traffic to know that the base security is doing a good job and identifying weak points in security, so they can fix it. No, it's really NOT "security theater". There are highly paid, very smart people doing their darndest to keep us all safe, given the externally-imposed constraints of budget and billets. For this exercise, very smart people are designing challenging security scenarios that fully tax their resources on multiple fronts. I'm fine with the results, even when I'm occasionally annoyed.

Good thoughts, but not quite accurate. Exercise events that could/would impact the gates by pulling assets are strictly forbidden from being conducted during peak traffic hours. However, it is quite common for them to have to respond to real alarms at various locations. In greater than 9 out of 10 times those alarms were set off by someone who forgot their CAC trying to get in the building or someone going into a secure space/building and not disarming the alarm system. In other words, most often, they are unnecessary and caused by human error/stupidity.

Goldenhawk

Good thoughts, but not quite accurate. Exercise events that could/would impact the gates by pulling assets are strictly forbidden from being conducted during peak traffic hours.
Good point... from a security situation, a huge gate backup is a security risk in and of itself. But it is clear to me that they were rather undermanned the first half of the week, when normally that is not the case during rush hour. Logical conclusion: it's part of the exercise.

bulldog

Good point... from a security situation, a huge gate backup is a security risk in and of itself. But it is clear to me that they were rather undermanned the first half of the week, when normally that is not the case during rush hour. Logical conclusion: it's part of the exercise.

Yes, I certainly understand that POV. It is part of the exercise to the extent that they (security forces) knew the exercise was in place and that as a result of that, were paying closer attention to the credentials and therefore it took longer to get on base. Honestly and unfortunately, that is the way it should be...all the time. It gets ramped up, they play closer attention and things back up. Time goes on, complaints are made, they relax it a little and over time get more complacent and things start slipping through the cracks. Vicious cycle.

BernieP

Resident PIA

the norm since the start of sequestration has been one guard per lane. So I'm not sure what this past week traffic backups spiked.
The odd thing is that traffic was backed up to Wildewood one day, yet by the time you hit the first gate it was more or less normal (not to say it was light).
I would say adding additional personnel during rush hour was not the norm and not related to the exercise. Maybe people changed their behavior because of the exercise?

I will say, that for those complaining about southbound traffic, some of the issue is the northbound traffic and their ability to make the right on red.
I've seen vehicles jump the line because someone going with the green left a gap. Once the right turn vehicle stops that vehicle it tends to catch the people behind off guard and the right turn people keep coming.

PeoplesElbow

I will say, that for those complaining about southbound traffic, some of the issue is the northbound traffic and their ability to make the right on red.
I've seen vehicles jump the line because someone going with the green left a gap. Once the right turn vehicle stops that vehicle it tends to catch the people behind off guard and the right turn people keep coming.

That is exactly what happens, at gate 2 people even drive past the turn lane on red and hang a right into the left inbound lane.

PeoplesElbow

So all of you that were an hour or more late to work because of the gate traffic stayed late to make up for it right?