Votes: 13 16.5%
  • It won't harm them and will rightly make them accept gays in society

Votes: 39 49.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

itsbob

I bowl overhand
awpitt said:
So basically civil service personnel can't run for partisan office. Since the St. Mary’s <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">County</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Board</st1:placeName></st1:place> of Ed is non-partisan, it should be open to civil service personnel to be candidates.
I thought those on the board had party affiliations.. if not, then yes, a gov't employee can run, but I'd bet most are like me, and would assume they can't.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
PsyOps said:
MLK, suffrage, slavery, the Victorian era, Apartheid, the rise and fall is world cultures are all historically significant events taught in our history classes. If we had prominent gay people in our society, and as a result there was an historical gay movement in this country that could count for a change in direction of our country then this should be taught in our history classes.

That’s not what this is about. This is about “indoctrinating” our kids into accepting certain lifestyles. Another point to this is… you and I appear to be about the same age. Were you ever taught in your schools (when growing up) about how to understand and tolerate gays? I wasn’t. Does that mean we also need to take these courses in order for us to develop this tolerance? Why are they just targeting our kids? Perhaps that’s why you used the word “indoctrinate”. What better captive audience than our kids?
Well said.

I have to guess what is coming next.. Tolerance of NAMBLA members? I mean they don't CHOOSE to be like they are, they were born that way, we should be tolerant and accept them, and give our kids an education on how to do it right.

Tolerance training for our kids to be more tolerant of animal "lovers"??

awpitt

Main Streeter
itsbob said:
I thought those on the board had party affiliations.. if not, then yes, a gov't employee can run, but I'd bet most are like me, and would assume they can't.
The people on the Board are Democrats and Republicans but that's not how they run for that office. No party affiliations are listed on the ballot. In the primaries, all candidates for each seat are listed on bith the Dem and Rep ballots. The top two vote getters for each seat advance to the general election again, no party affiliations are listed.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
He said...

This_person said:
His comment was about school vouchers. How is it outside of our national ideals to provide a parent with educational options?

But my main reason for favoring it is, it's been shown to work with measurable, quantifiable results. I'm at heart a pragmatist, not an idealist. If it works, we should do it.

...in context of the government, via schools, teaching that being gay is no big deal. That is an idea, not a fact. It is an educational option. Having boys and girls go to school together is an idea, not some pragmatic best practice fact. it is an educational option. Private schooling is an idea which, for some, may be the ideal. It is an educational option.

Options are and idea. My point is simply what is pragmatic isn't what government should focus on. What is the ideal should be. That is how we ended slavery and other ills, persuing the ideal at the expense of the pragmatic.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
And what does that...

PsyOps said:
That’s not what this is about. This is about “indoctrinating” our kids into accepting certain lifestyles.

...mean, 'accepting'?

Does that mean the kids have to become gay? Take one home? Put on a dress? Listen to ABBA?

Accepting...what does that mean?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Nope...

PsyOps said:
Were you ever taught in your schools (when growing up) about how to understand and tolerate gays?

...everyone new there wasn't anything worse you could be than some #### sucking ######.

If a ### got beat up or murdered he deserved it.

I've kinda modified my position on that over time.

PsyOps

Pixelated
itsbob said:
Well said.

I have to guess what is coming next.. Tolerance of NAMBLA members? I mean they don't CHOOSE to be like they are, they were born that way, we should be tolerant and accept them, and give our kids an education on how to do it right.

Thank you... But I stated this (in different terms) back on page 7 of this thread:

PsyOps said:
But if we are going to teach tolerance of these things then it should be taught of all things: religious beliefs, transgenderism, asexuality, intelligent design, bipolar disorder, etc... Where does it really end?

All you have to do is look at all the crap they are piling on our teachers and you can see a clear agenda to "indoctrinate" our kids with progressive propaganda that is purposefully devoid of any moral base. You've heard the phrase: The dumbing down of America.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You don't make...

itsbob said:
Well said.

...a distinction between consenting adults vs. children? Or animals? Is that what gays are to you, child molesters and animal ####ers?

PsyOps

Pixelated
Larry Gude said:
...everyone new there wasn't anything worse you could be than some #### sucking ######.

If a ### got beat up or murdered he deserved it.

I've kinda modified my position on that over time.

And what taught you how to modify your position?

This_person

Larry Gude said:
...in context of the government, via schools, teaching that being gay is no big deal. That is an idea, not a fact. It is an educational option. Having boys and girls go to school together is an idea, not some pragmatic best practice fact. it is an educational option. Private schooling is an idea which, for some, may be the ideal. It is an educational option.

Options are and idea. My point is simply what is pragmatic isn't what government should focus on. What is the ideal should be. That is how we ended slavery and other ills, persuing the ideal at the expense of the pragmatic.
Maybe I'm reading the post all wrong, but I think what he's saying he's in favor of is school vouchers, not teaching homosexuality as a normal life-choice.

I agree, we should strive for the highest ideals. The methods used to achieve those ideal should be pragmatic.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well...

PsyOps said:
And what taught you how to modify your position?

...as I grew up, I learned that some people's sexual preference is for their own gender. It didn't make any sense to be afraid of someone or hate them for who they were attracted to. Until then, we all thought that there was something wrong with these people, that they were dangerous and somehow less human.

Queers, spics, ######s, Jews. Don't remember any of that?

In short, I grew up.

This_person

Larry Gude said:
...mean, 'accepting'?

Does that mean the kids have to become gay? Take one home? Put on a dress? Listen to ABBA?

Accepting...what does that mean?
ac·cept Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ak-sept] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object) 1. to take or receive (something offered); receive with approval or favor: to accept a present; to accept a proposal.

tol·er·ate Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[tol-uh-reyt]
–verb (used with object), -at·ed, -at·ing.
1. to allow the existence, presence, practice, or act of without prohibition or hindrance; permit.
2. to endure without repugnance; put up with: I can tolerate laziness, but not incompetence.

See the difference between what should be taught (the latter), and what if seemingly being taught (the former)?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Homosexuality...

This_person said:
Maybe I'm reading the post all wrong, but I think what he's saying he's in favor of is school vouchers, not teaching homosexuality as a normal life-choice.

I agree, we should strive for the highest ideals. The methods used to achieve those ideal should be pragmatic.

...is a Goddamn fact of nature. It just is. Not everybody is gay. Not everybody loves boobs. Or long legs. Or fat azzes. Some women like neanderthals. Some like their men less so. So women like girls. We're tried to tell ourselves for years that people who were told by society to hate and loath themselves were bad people for who they were attracted to. Look how sensitive you Christians are to criticism.

For that matter, what would Christ do in a classroom when the teacher says "Homosexuals are people too, and can live happy, harmonious, productive lives, just like everybody else."

Would he freak out? Would he be a bit more accepting of gay people than his followers?

As for vouchers, fine. I've been for them for years. Give people the power of the purse, their own purse. Just understand that people will tend to segregate by class and race. I hate to say this because I HATE busing, but, one of the reasons blacks and whites are so much more...normal around each other these days is the legacy of busing.

I hate to say that, but, it did some of the good it was intended to do.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Ok...

This_person said:
ac·cept Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ak-sept] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object) 1. to take or receive (something offered); receive with approval or favor: to accept a present; to accept a proposal.

...so I missed the curriculum; Kids are receiving gayness at school. They are being given gayness and must take it home?

Sorry. My bad. I should have done more homework. Had I only known.

Toxick

Splat
How about instead of filling kids heads with:

- Tolerance
- Morality
- Lifestyles
- Drugs=EVIL

they go back to filling their heads with:

- Math
- Science
- Language
- History

I think schools should dish out knowledge without all the effing commentary.

If I want my kids to be bigotted cross-burning ###-bashing satanists, I will raise them as such. If I want them to be tree-hugging, frolicking, free-to-be-you-and-me hippies, I will raise them as such. Or anything in between. And I will do so with or without the states useless approval.

Stay the #### out of my children's morality. I will handle it.

SamSpade

Larry Gude said:
I hate to say this because I HATE busing, but, one of the reasons blacks and whites are so much more...normal around each other these days is the legacy of busing.

I don't think busing had anything to do with that. Where busing has been stopped, schools went right back to how they were - segregated by virtue of their surrounding neighborhoods.

I don't know what "normal" around each other means to you; there aren't riots and the same kind of name calling and vandalism. But you can go to any school cafeteria or workplace and see that blacks and whites still largely segregate themselves.

You can't quell racism or bigotry by forcing people to be nice to each other. That's not a "legacy".

SamSpade

Toxick said:

- Tolerance
- Morality
- Lifestyles
- Drugs=EVIL

- Math
- Science
- Language
- History

If I want my kids to be bigotted cross-burning ###-bashing satanists, I will raise them as such. If I want them to be tree-hugging, frolicking, free-to-be-you-and-me hippies, I will raise them as such. Or anything in between. And I will do so with or without the states useless approval.

Exactly.

:yeahthat:

This_person

Larry Gude said:
...is a Goddamn fact of nature. It just is. Not everybody is gay. Not everybody loves boobs. Or long legs. Or fat azzes. Some women like neanderthals. Some like their men less so. So women like girls. We're tried to tell ourselves for years that people who were told by society to hate and loath themselves were bad people for who they were attracted to. Look how sensitive you Christians are to criticism.

For that matter, what would Christ do in a classroom when the teacher says "Homosexuals are people too, and can live happy, harmonious, productive lives, just like everybody else."

Would he freak out? Would he be a bit more accepting of gay people than his followers?

As for vouchers, fine. I've been for them for years. Give people the power of the purse, their own purse. Just understand that people will tend to segregate by class and race. I hate to say this because I HATE busing, but, one of the reasons blacks and whites are so much more...normal around each other these days is the legacy of busing.

Okay, homosexuality is a fact of nature. So what?

What does that have to do with whether it should be taught with acceptance vice tolerance?

This is what I was saying earlier. The statement of the thread was that the schools shouldn't teach something the parents are against, that the school board should have more say than the parents - that our will must bend to the "duty" of the school to educate a particular doctrine. People who are arguing against that thought are arguing that homosexuals are the norm, putting people arguing against it in the idiotic position of seeming to deny that. I don't think there's a soul on here saying there aren't men getting it on with men nor women not getting it on with other women. I don't think there's a 8th nor 10th grader out there not aware that homosexuality exists. So effing what? I've shown you unbiased research that shows they're about 1.5% of the population, I am fully aware they exist. So what?

I don't know what Jesus would do, but my best guess is He would take the same stance He did when He said "let he who is without sin cast the first stone." That's my guiding doctrine when WWJD comes up. Again, so what? This discussion isn't whether homosexuality exists, whether Christians have one view of it with The Christ having another and Elton John another still.

By changing the argument to whether homosexuality is "right" or not, the bigger issue of who gets to decide what for their kids gets kicked to the curb. I don't care if homosexuals exist or not, personally. But, there's a clearly large percentage of the population of Mont. County that doesn't want the issue taught as they believe it is/will be. They have the right to believe that, and to petition the county and state BOEs to get their point across. Furthermore, when they speak, they shouldn't be shut out of the conversation, having the school be the only one allowed to present its version of the view.

I was only trying to help you see you were misreading his original quote about being pragmatic, and what he was being pragmatic about.

kmw1123

Toxick said:

- Tolerance
- Morality
- Lifestyles
- Drugs=EVIL

- Math
- Science
- Language
- History

I couldn't agree more. It would make my job so much easier. Tolerance, who the heck wants to learn that any way? But if you raise your kids to be bigotted cross-burning satanists, don't complain or act suprised when they get fired from their job, sued, and/or put in prison because they said or did something to tick the wrong person off.

And as far as this 1.5% of the population goes, I think that's bull despite whatever the research says. It might not account for the people who haven't come out yet. There are too many factors to consider before using that statistic as pure fact.