Giants @ Redskins

PsyOps

Pixelated
:tap:

That is one of the more ridiculous things I've read of late. One of the primary objectives of most offenses is ball control to control the clock and wear down the other guys ESPECIALLY if it's against a better defense.

Of course it’s ridiculous. You didn’t say it. The difference in possession was 10 minutes. A fair difference but not enough to convince me the D was worn out. All other majors stats were not that far apart. The only difference (as with any Redskin’s game) is points on the board. Down the field, nothing; down the field, nothing… The defense was flat from the beginning. So they either came out of the gate worn out or they were just unprepared.

the difference being I was willing to give him a chance under Zorn to see how he did whereas you're just so good you could tell right away.

Well, it’s pretty obvious I saw what you didn’t from the beginning. Has nothing to do with giving him a chance. It is what it is. Campbell is an indecisive QB. Maybe he has bad eyes. Maybe his receivers are never open (I find that impossible to believe with Cooley and Moss). If it wasn’t for the fact that he was running better than his own running backs, I would have yanked him and given Brennan a shot.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Of course it’s ridiculous. You didn’t say it. The difference in possession was 10 minutes. A fair difference but not enough to convince me the D was worn out. They absolutely shut Jacobs down in the first half. That's just a fact. As for how big a deal 40 minutes is to 20, you go ahead and ask football fans which team probably won based on that stat alone All other majors stats were not that far apart. The only difference (as with any Redskin’s game) is points on the board. Down the field, nothing; down the field, nothing… The defense was flat from the beginning. So they either came out of the gate worn out or they were just unprepared. Again, I disagree. The Giants moved the ball well through the air on some great throws in tight coverage yet only scored one TD in the first half.

Well, it’s pretty obvious I saw what you didn’t from the beginning. That's why I say you're just that good; you could see it before Zorn even had a chance to coach the kid. Wow! Has nothing to do with giving him a chance. It is what it is. Campbell is an indecisive QB. Maybe he has bad eyes. Maybe his receivers are never open (I find that impossible to believe with Cooley and Moss). How do you explain the first 8 games then? If it wasn’t for the fact that he was running better than his own running backs, I would have yanked him and given Brennan a shot.

PsyOps

Pixelated
That's why I say you're just that good; you could see it before Zorn even had a chance to coach the kid. Wow!

Larry… you can be sarcastic about this all you want. You know as well as I do that you are making a point that I made several weeks ago. Has nothing to do with seeing something you or Zorn didn’t see. If you want a winning season, giving a QB a chance loses games. I mean this is Campbell’s fourth season with the Skins; third as a starter. How many chances do you give “the kid”? Zorn had his chance to “coach the KID” and he’s still right where he was back in the beginning of the season, last year, and the year before… slow to the trigger.

Maybe this has less to do with Zorn and more to do with someone else that has invested in this QB before Zorn was in the picture. Could this be an indication that either Campbell is not coachable or he is not the type of QB Zorn can coach given his style? Is it possible that, if Zorn had his way, Campbell would not be his starter? I’m anxious to see who the top pick is next year for that spot.

How do you explain the first 8 games then?

Yes, how do you explain it? Not one decisive win. How many times did the Skins march down the field with ease only to settle for a field goal or no score at all? Portis was their key. Now he's hurt........... again. Look at the Giants... they lost their key receiver and they didn't lose a beat. The Skins have no recovery plan.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Larry… you can be sarcastic about this all you want. You know as well as I do that you are making a point that I made several weeks ago. Has nothing to do with seeing something you or Zorn didn’t see. If you want a winning season, giving a QB a chance loses games. I mean this is Campbell’s fourth season with the Skins; third as a starter. How many chances do you give “the kid”? Zorn had his chance to “coach the KID” and he’s still right where he was back in the beginning of the season, last year, and the year before… slow to the trigger.Look, I agreed with you point which is far more than I can say about you ever agreeing with me when I'm right. There is nothing illogical about thinking Zorn might make a big difference. The Giants were about to give up on Eli 1/2 way through last year, his fourth season

Maybe this has less to do with Zorn and more to do with someone else that has invested in this QB before Zorn was in the picture. Could this be an indication that either Campbell is not coachable or he is not the type of QB Zorn can coach given his style? Is it possible that, if Zorn had his way, Campbell would not be his starter? I’m anxious to see who the top pick is next year for that spot.

Yes, how do you explain it? Not one decisive win. How many times did the Skins march down the field with ease only to settle for a field goal or no score at all? Portis was their key. Now he's hurt........... again. Look at the Giants... they lost their key receiver and they didn't lose a beat. The Skins have no recovery plan.

...the Skins have had three basic and major shortcomings for a few years now; an aging O line with little depth and a mediocre D line in an age where strong D line play is critical and not enough talent at WR. That has not changed. For awhile, Campbell played very, very well this season.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Look, I agreed with you point which is far more than I can say about you ever agreeing with me when I'm right. There is nothing illogical about thinking Zorn might make a big difference. The Giants were about to give up on Eli 1/2 way through last year, his fourth season.

That’s because you’re never right. :razz:

I think Zorn is more of a Bill Walsh, west coast-style of coach and is trying to adapt to old Redskins style rather than going with his nature tendencies. They threw this guy in with a bunch of old-time Redskin coaches; styles that just don’t seem to mix well. And I think I remember hearing about animosity from the team hoping that Williams would get the job. I’m wondering if there isn’t some of that tension still in the air.

...the Skins have had three basic and major shortcomings for a few years now; an aging O line with little depth and a mediocre D line in an age where strong D line play is critical and not enough talent at WR. That has not changed. For awhile, Campbell played very, very well this season.

I also think it’s time to consider slipping Portis as backup rather than starter. When he’s good he’s great. But he is damaged goods. Betts is underutilized. Cartwright is underutilized. Cooley is WAY underutilized and would double as an awesome fullback.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

That’s because you’re never right. :razz:

I think Zorn is more of a Bill Walsh, west coast-style of coach and is trying to adapt to old Redskins style rather than going with his nature tendencies. They threw this guy in with a bunch of old-time Redskin coaches; styles that just don’t seem to mix well. And I think I remember hearing about animosity from the team hoping that Williams would get the job. I’m wondering if there isn’t some of that tension still in the air.

I also think it’s time to consider slipping Portis as backup rather than starter. When he’s good he’s great. But he is damaged goods. Betts is underutilized. Cartwright is underutilized. Cooley is WAY underutilized and would double as an awesome fullback.

...I think you're totally wrong. In case you didn't notice, this team was rockin for 8 games.

I think you're crazy suggesting Cooley, a lifelong TE, is somehow supposed to become an NFL fullback, today. Or ever. Rock never gets it done when he's been used as a back. Betts should be cut. Fumbles too much. If you're gonna make Portis a back up may as well cut him, too. He's not the back up type.

We have obvious problems and you've just identified a bunch of problems we don't have or are way down the list.

PsyOps

Pixelated
...I think you're totally wrong. In case you didn't notice, this team was rockin for 8 games.

Rockin? I know you think a win is a win, but if a team is going to be a playoff/superbowl team they have to be a dominant team. Not one win had a spread of more than 8 points. In fact the only decisive win they had all season was in game-one pre-season against the Colts. Now I know you are going to throw all sorts of stats at me to show how dominant the Skins are, but it’s points on the board that matter. The Skins fail in THE most important stat.

I think you're crazy suggesting Cooley, a lifelong TE, is somehow supposed to become an NFL fullback, today. Or ever. Rock never gets it done when he's been used as a back. Betts should be cut. Fumbles too much. If you're gonna make Portis a back up may as well cut him, too. He's not the back up type.

We have obvious problems and you've just identified a bunch of problems we don't have or are way down the list.

Larry please note that I wrote “I also think…”, which means “In addition to what you wrote…”; which means I agree with your points, which means that I don’t always disagree with you (as much as I know it hurts your feelings when I do disagree with you). :biggrin:

Cooley runs like Riggins. He hits hard and is hard to get down. Betts has yet to be given a fair chance to prove himself. I happen to think if you put him in as much as Portis you'd see some real performance. Portis just gets injured too easily. Once he's hurt he is worthless. He broke his hand and was out for an entire season. Romo plays the Skins with a partially broken pinky on his throwing hand and still pulls out a win against the Skins AT HOME!

BuddyLee

Football addict
Of course it’s ridiculous. You didn’t say it. The difference in possession was 10 minutes. A fair difference but not enough to convince me the D was worn out. All other majors stats were not that far apart. The only difference (as with any Redskin’s game) is points on the board. Down the field, nothing; down the field, nothing… The defense was flat from the beginning. So they either came out of the gate worn out or they were just unprepared.
Dude, just quit with your football acumen. 10 minutes is a lifetime for a defense. If the other team has the ball 35 minutes chances are they're going to win.

The defense played well against the best team in football yesterday. The Giants average 30+ points per game. Our defense, held them to 23. You only ask your offense to score at least 21 in every game. This loss like the others is on the offense. Defense is the least of this teams concerns.

I was there, watched every play. This defense is a top fiver this year. It's too bad our offense has sunk to a bottom fiver.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Larry… you can be sarcastic about this all you want. You know as well as I do that you are making a point that I made several weeks ago. Has nothing to do with seeing something you or Zorn didn’t see. If you want a winning season, giving a QB a chance loses games. I mean this is Campbell’s fourth season with the Skins; third as a starter. How many chances do you give “the kid”? Zorn had his chance to “coach the KID” and he’s still right where he was back in the beginning of the season, last year, and the year before… slow to the trigger.
Who else should we go with?:eyebrow:

Zorn had one offseason to coach Campbell. That is hardly enough. It took Hassleback 3 seasons to become a complete west coast QB. I didn't like what I saw with Campbell yesterday and neither did Zorn per his presser. There is work to do and that will take time. The odds are against you with a new coach and system and its showing.

Fans need to have patience but that's hard to come by in this league.

BuddyLee

Football addict
For awhile, Campbell played very, very well this season.
What does that tell you?

When the lines were healthy they succeeded and pushed people around and blocked generally well. However, when you have a new 'over the hill gang' the season starts to wear on you sooner and you get beat up. Samuels isn't playing like he should, banged up. Jansen is half-way done.

Change the lines you change the team.

The Giants are great because of their lines. That's their foundation. Our old foundation is crumbling sack...by...sack.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Cooley should get the ball more but he's in for blocking because of...the line.:ohwell:

Portis is a starter and a warrior. Betts is a good slasher but isn't a good starter. He gave up at least a few games due to fumbles over the years. Same goes with Rock.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Cooley runs like Riggins. He hits hard and is hard to get down. Betts has yet to be given a fair chance to prove himself. I happen to think if you put him in as much as Portis you'd see some real performance. Portis just gets injured too easily. Once he's hurt he is worthless. He broke his hand and was out for an entire season. Romo plays the Skins with a partially broken pinky on his throwing hand and still pulls out a win against the Skins AT HOME!
You're comparing a prissy quaterback whom the league protects to a running back who gets hit on every single play. A running back that blows up linebacks coming in on the blitz. Someone who sprained his neck yesterday and yet came back in to stone Pierce in order to allow a 20 yard Cooley reception.

Nuff said.

Portis was banged up against Seattle. 143 yards.