Gun Control Laws And Opposition

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Biden to create White House office of gun violence prevention

Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), who is known for his focus on gun violence prevention, applauded the White House on Wednesday after reports of the first-of-its-kind office.

“This is an idea I have been pushing relentlessly for some time, and I’m thrilled President Biden is making the Office of Gun Violence Prevention a reality,” Murphy said in a statement, adding that the office will help strengthen the federal government’s implementation of the bipartisan gun control legislation.

Murphy and Rep. Maxwell Frost (D-Fla.) introduced legislation this year to establish such an office within the Department of Justice.

March for Our Lives, which was created following the Parkland, Fla., school shooting in 2019, has been making the push for an office. And Community Justice Action Fund, the largest Black and survivor-led advocacy group, has been consistently demanding it too.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
IMG_4483.jpeg

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Federal Judge Strikes Down California Ban of Gun Magazines Holding Over 10 Rounds

U.S. District Judge Roger Benitez in San Diego said the state's "sweeping ban" of the detachable magazines—sometimes referred to as high-capacity magazines—violates the Second Amendment rights of firearms owners because it bars people from using such magazines for lawful reasons, including self-defense.

“This case is about a California state law that makes it a crime to keep and bear common firearm magazines typically possessed for lawful purposes,” Judge Benitez, a nominee of President George W. Bush, wrote in a 71-page decision filed on Sept. 22 (pdf). “Based on the text, history, and tradition of the Second Amendment, this law is clearly unconstitutional.”

"The history and tradition of the Second Amendment clearly supports state laws against the use or misuse of firearms with unlawful intent, but not the disarmament of the law-abiding citizen," the judge wrote.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Texas gun culture of having firearms 'inside suits, boots, bras' shocks reporter

Washington Post detailed how Texans 'take guns fishing, to church, the park, the pool, the gym, the movies — even to protests at the state Capitol'

A new report from The Washington Post seemed to marvel at the sheer number of guns that Texans have.

In an article published Tuesday, reporter Molly Hennessy-Fiske provided an in-depth look at how much Texans value their firearms, opening it with the claim, "To live in Texas is to live surrounded by guns."

The piece, titled, "In Texas, guns are everywhere, whether concealed or in the open," provided a litany of settings in which guns are present for citizens.

Hennessy-Fiske wrote, "Each morning, men here strap guns inside suits, boots and swim trunks. Women slip them into bra and bellyband holsters that render them invisible. They stash firearms in purses, tool boxes, portable gun safes, back seats and glove compartments."

She continued: "Neighbors tuck guns into bedside tables, cars and trucks. They take guns fishing, to church, the park, the pool, the gym, the movies — even to protests at the state Capitol. The convention center hosts gun shows where shoppers peruse AR-15s and high-capacity magazines outlawed in other states."

Grumpy

Funny, my grandparents lived in Harlingen TX and I visited them back in the 60s. Felt like I was in the old west, it's the only time EVER I've seen people that weren't some type of law enforcement openly armed, and I saw alot of them. Nephew moved to TX for his job a few years ago and he told me how amazing it was that so many folks open carried, took his lib wife forever to get used to it.

dave20

Back in the early 70's my father moved to Florida and there he usually carried. He had a permit. When I would visit we would go fishing in the Gulf. He always had a gun on the boat. He said they were taking boats from people out there at the time. I'm sure those guys were much better armed but it made him more comfortable. I will say the he was an excellent marksman and if he raised his gun the target was doomed.

Bare-ya-cuda

The ruling bars Maryland from enforcing restrictions on carrying guns in places where alcohol is sold, at public demonstrations and on private property without express permission from its owner while the lawsuit plays out.

In his opinion, the judge applied the new test set out by the U.S. Supreme Court in its 2022 Bruen decision, which directed judges to evaluate the constitutionality of state gun control laws by comparing them with restrictions traditionally adopted throughout U.S. history.

The judge said the Maryland laws banning guns at locations selling alcohol, private property and public demonstrations went beyond historical restrictions.

The judge left the state’s bans on carrying guns at museums, state parks, schools, on mass transit and several other areas in place, finding they either qualified as "sensitive" areas, which the high court said could be subject to gun restrictions, or that the bans comport with historical controls on guns.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The ruling bars Maryland from enforcing restrictions on carrying guns in places where alcohol is sold, at public demonstrations and on private property without express permission from its owner while the lawsuit plays out.

Texas Restrictions on carry ....

The law did not change where guns are banned in the state, including:

• A polling place while voting is taking place.
  • A government meeting open to the public.
  • A courthouse, except when specifically authorized to do so.
  • A place where a high school, collegiate or professional sporting or an interscholastic event is being held.
  • A racetrack.
  • A correctional facility.
  • An access-controlled airport terminal.
  • An amusement park.
  • A bar.

Can private businesses ban guns?​

Churches and private businesses can continue to prohibit guns with written or verbal notice. They also have the discretion to ban open carry but allow the concealed carry of handguns.

If a gun owner is warned that they may not carry a gun on the businesses' premises, they must immediately depart or face a more severe penalty.

A person who carries a gun into a prohibited location can be charged with a Class A misdemeanor or third-degree felony.

black dog

Free America
Texas Restrictions on carry ....

The law did not change where guns are banned in the state, including:

• A polling place while voting is taking place.
  • A government meeting open to the public.
  • A courthouse, except when specifically authorized to do so.
  • A place where a high school, collegiate or professional sporting or an interscholastic event is being held.
  • A racetrack.
  • A correctional facility.
  • An access-controlled airport terminal.
  • An amusement park.
  • A bar.

Can private businesses ban guns?​

Churches and private businesses can continue to prohibit guns with written or verbal notice. They also have the discretion to ban open carry but allow the concealed carry of handguns.

If a gun owner is warned that they may not carry a gun on the businesses' premises, they must immediately depart or face a more severe penalty.

A person who carries a gun into a prohibited location can be charged with a Class A misdemeanor or third-degree felony.
If only Texas could be more like,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Indiana

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Newsom Signs Bills Doubling Taxes on Guns and Ammunition, Prohibiting Concealed Carry

The taxation law, which goes into effect in July 2024, will impose an eleven percent excise tax on the goods. The revenue raised will go toward “school safety and violence prevention programs, including initiatives to prevent school shootings, bolster firearm investigations, reduce retaliatory violence, and remove guns from domestic abusers,” the governor’s office wrote in a statement.

Multiple gun-rights advocacy organizations have already joined a Second Amendment challenge to the concealed-carry law, which they say flies in the face of the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling in New York State Rifle & Pistol Association, Inc. v. Bruen (2022). The 6-3 decision held that a New York state law that had been in effect since 1911 requiring that applicants for concealed-carry licenses demonstrate a need distinguishable from that of the general public was unconstitutional and that the ability to carry a handgun in public was a constitutional right guaranteed by the Second Amendment. The Court held that “there is no historical basis for New York to effectively declare the island of Manhattan a ‘sensitive place’ simply because it is crowded and protected generally by the New York City Police Department.”