Harris Teeter

Agee

Harris Teeters shopping center neighbors, specifically Café Rio...Anybody tried it, is just another run of the mill Mexicali joint?

terbear1225

We tried cafe rio this past weekend. Was pretty good, I prefer it to chipotle but bohman disagrees. We both thought it was good, our preferences differ on level of spice.

wubbles

I prefer Chipotle but I do like the options at Cafe Rio, I will definitely be back. I like how you can add cilantro. I can never have enough.

PeoplesElbow

I prefer Chipotle but I do like the options at Cafe Rio, I will definitely be back. I like how you can add cilantro. I can never have enough.

I really like cilantro too, you should try the street tacos at Plaza Tolteca, they have a lot of cilantro.

Catman2

It is correct that grocery stores cannot have liquor licenses here.

The liquor license for the Mckays in Hollywood dates back to the 50's, which is why they can for that store. Before they redid the Hollywood store, they had intended to redo the Wildewood one in the same manner instead. This required a 10 year lease, and they would only sign it if allowed to transfer the liquor license there. The liquor store in the shopping center protested, and they lost...so they stayed in the Hollywood store with the remodel. Even the Hollywood store had protests from places like Chiefs.

This is also why the Leonardtown store has a completely separate liquor store that requires going out and in.

In terms of HT, what makes the store is that section when you walk in with the hot bars, produce, and all the other bits. That is unlike anything down here. The rest of the store is basically a normal grocery store.

Chain food stores in MD can't sell potent potables.

Stopped in for a few things while I was at MODs. Needed some ground beef, and the oranges looked pretty good, so I got a few.

Just had an orange. It was, by far, the best naval orange I have had in forever. Sweet, juicy, tender. You can tell when they've been chilled to far or even frozen, they get dry mealy, crunchy, no flavor. These were outstanding.

I got the ground beef from the meat counter, not the pre-packaged. I like raw ground beef, tartare, etc... Again, I haven't had beef that tasted this good since I was a kid, and it was ground chuck, not even sirloin.

I don't mind paying a few cents more for this kind of quality. My only hope is that they continue to provide the same quality as time goes on, not like Weis that had really good stuff the first week, then seriously fell off in quality.

luvmygdaughters

Stopped in for a few things while I was at MODs. Needed some ground beef, and the oranges looked pretty good, so I got a few.

Just had an orange. It was, by far, the best naval orange I have had in forever. Sweet, juicy, tender. You can tell when they've been chilled to far or even frozen, they get dry mealy, crunchy, no flavor. These were outstanding.

I got the ground beef from the meat counter, not the pre-packaged. I like raw ground beef, tartare, etc... Again, I haven't had beef that tasted this good since I was a kid, and it was ground chuck, not even sirloin.

I don't mind paying a few cents more for this kind of quality. My only hope is that they continue to provide the same quality as time goes on, not like Weis that had really good stuff the first week, then seriously fell off in quality.

The navel oranges I get from McKays in Leonardtown are delicious!! Sweet, juicy and easy to peel.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

The pears are very good also.

PeoplesElbow

It is really hard to prove, but I swear their produce is the freshest in the area. I think this because it seems to last the longest after I bring it home.

I have bought blueberries and strawberries before and while they were good when I bought them, they were starting to go bad within a few days.

When HT has blueberries on sale I buy the big box and it usually takes me a week to eat that many but so far the big container has been just as fresh on day 6 as they are on day 1.

BernieP

Resident PIA
It is really hard to prove, but I swear their produce is the freshest in the area. I think this because it seems to last the longest after I bring it home.

I have bought blueberries and strawberries before and while they were good when I bought them, they were starting to go bad within a few days.

When HT has blueberries on sale I buy the big box and it usually takes me a week to eat that many but so far the big container has been just as fresh on day 6 as they are on day 1.

Their produce department is fantastic, but let's see how things shake out until the end of the year.
If any one store is taking a hit it would have to be Giant. IMHO it's the only competitor - competing for the same demographic.
I think HT is a bigger store and offers a range of goods and services Giant does and cannot (from lack of space).
Giant brought back the butcher cut meat counter, but had to share space with seafood to do so.
If any store has trouble getting fresh goods it would be McKays. It's a matter of how fast the chain's distribution system can move things from their warehouse to stores.
Not sure who McKays works through

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv

I love the fact that they actually carry fresh loose bean sprouts, snow peas etc!!! I don't need 8 OZ in a pkg, IF the store even carries them!!!