Has anyone seen coyotes in clements?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I've heard yips and such in the woods behind my house. We have just about every kind of wildlife here, including fox. I wouldn't be surprised if there are coyote as also. With the woods and creek, it would make it canine friendly.

UglyBear

They're howl is so bone-chilling to me. In CT they're all over the place. Parents' place was on 5 acres and backed up to some state forest. About 2-3x a year a pack would make its way thru our property and their pack howling - always in the middle of the night - would make you jolt out of bed and run for the closet. Always sounded like they were on our front door steps. It could go on for a couple minutes, sometimes. We lost a cat to them once, since then we always monitor our cats' outdoor exploring, never let them roam far anymore.
I was once having a quiet smoke (@PrchJrkr :biggrin:) at three in the morning, sitting at a wooden picnic table in the middle of a field. Then a pack of coyotes, six or seven, just appears out of the dark, running straight at me, maybe 15-20 feet away.
I don’t remember how, but the next second I was standing on top of the table. The pack just split in two, ran around the table, and disappeared into the dark, on their coyote businesses.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Sistard told me that there have been a lot of missing cats posters around the hood.
Maybe that explains these signs too...misplaced blame, perhaps?

cat.jpg

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
For those that don't believe they're here, think again.
That looks like what was hanging out at the marina. I thought it was too big for a fox. It was hard to really call because it had mange and was bald, but it was larger than any fox I've seen.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
If
I've heard yips and such in the woods behind my house. We have just about every kind of wildlife here, including fox. I wouldn't be surprised if there are coyote as also. With the woods and creek, it would make it canine friendly.
With coyotes around you won't have foxes for long. Or rabbits, turkeys, squirrels, woodcock, quail, cats or yappy lap dogs.

Kinnakeet

Why? You do know that DNR didn't release them here, right? They've been moving east for decades. Once we it removed the apex predators, these guys were ready and able to expand.
I have a friend who has killed some on his farm and they had numbers tattooed in their ears and that is from the dnr
And what predators were here to eat Coyotes?

black dog

Free America
I have a friend who has killed some on his farm and they had numbers tattooed in their ears and that is from the dnr
40 grain BlitzKing out of a Fireball... Sometimes you get to hear the THAWOCK...

I have a difficult time believing the dnr and tattoos, stories have been around on that topic for a few decades now. But nobody has proof its happened.

Md dnr officers worked hard on and off work bringing turkeys back to southern md, why would they bring a predator.....
Every state east of the Mississippi has them now.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control

Dont suppose he took pictures of said tattoo? Seems you would document that so you could then go after DNR in court for importing a species. Funny, people have killed a lot and yet nobody has proved this DNR bullshit.

As for predators, none for some time. As we went west, wiping out more dangerous predators like wolves and bears, we left empty ecological space behind. They were still kept in check out west until we got that far and started wiping out the wolves and big cats out there. Once we relieved that pressure, they started moving east around the turn of the century and since the 50s have cranked up the speed of expansion eastward. No DNR conspiracy required.

Kinnakeet

Dont suppose he took pictures of said tattoo? Seems you would document that so you could then go after DNR in court for importing a species. Funny, people have killed a lot and yet nobody has proved this DNR bullshit.

As for predators, none for some time. As we went west, wiping out more dangerous predators like wolves and bears, we left empty ecological space behind. They were still kept in check out west until we got that far and started wiping out the wolves and big cats out there. Once we relieved that pressure, they started moving east around the turn of the century and since the 50s have cranked up the speed of expansion eastward. No DNR conspiracy required.

Yes he has pictures

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
If you want to drive down the coyote population, you'll need to reintroduce wolves to the area.