Here I am..31 going on 5!

Etred101

Yep..I know. I suppose I just want to hear someone else say yes,leave. Its right and ok. My family only sees the front he puts up and they really do not understand what I go through. I talk to my mom and she tells me he pays the bills,so deal. I can't imagine what I am teaching my girls by letting them see this though.
Can you all get some help? Will he see a counselor? Sounds like you and he are over your heads.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Sort of sounds like he is bi-polar and maybe needs some medicinal help. :shrug: If your parents think so highly of them, enlist their help and talk to his parents too and get him the help he needs. Then again, we are only getting one side of the story.

mrboswell

Sort of sounds like he is bi-polar and maybe needs some medicinal help. :shrug: If your parents think so highly of them, enlist their help and talk to his parents too and get him the help he needs. Then again, we are only getting one side of the story.
His mom is on my side and says she has known he needed help for many years,but that she wont damage her relationship with him by pushing the issue. She actually told me that he tried to kill himself several times as a teenager and young adult.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
His mom is on my side and says she has known he needed help for many years,but that she wont damage her relationship with him by pushing the issue. She actually told me that he tried to kill himself several times as a teenager and young adult.

She doesn't want to risk him being angry with her vs. him possibly killing himself? Nice.:rolleyes:

Roberta

OLD WISE ONE

And she let him marry and reproduce with out even telling you?? Sad piece of work she is.

mrweb

Iron City
I stayed home with her to keep an eye on her and asked him to go to Walmart for some medicine. He looked at me incredulously and said - IN FRONT OF HER - "WalMart?!?" "I guess now I wont have time to cut my hair..

Yes, marriage is hard, been there for over 30 years with the love of my life, most times. However, when it comes to the kids, I would go to the ends of the earth. For example tonight, my youngest daughter (16) was out of :gossip: so I ran out and bought her the :gossip: things in the pink box, without a thought and happy to do it for her. (Got a hug and a kiss when I got home too!) If your hubby wouldn't run out for some medicine for your own kid, then, in my opinion, he needs to grow up and be a man, or you need to go out and find one. If he has a bi-polar issue, get some help. If he won't seek help, you go talk to a professional to learn how to handle the situation.

TodayNTomorrow

My suggestion is to go to therapy. Most people have issues they don't even realize they have. My friend is going through something similar with her husband. Marriage is not something to be taken lightly. If you go to counselling you can at least say that you did everything in your power to make it work. I'm a hopeless romantic, so I love to hear about couples making it through the tough times rather than throwing in the towel.

Good luck!

SamSpade

I'm curious about the "Rain Man" reference in your first post.

Because it might not be bi-polar, although it sure sounds like it.

My sister is bi-polar, and while she's had periods in her life similar to what you've described, as long as she remains on her medication, she's the most wonderful person you'd ever want to know - if not maybe just a little strange. I also once dated - briefly - someone who was bi-polar. She was also the same way - stay on medication, fine. (To be blunt, I could never live with my sister in spite of this. I tried, years ago, in an effort to help her financially. I left at my first opportunity. You get just one life and you don't owe anyone who doesn't treat you with respect). My sister went undiagnosed for years because most people saw the 'manic' part of her as energetic and normal; the part that drank a lot and over used prescription drugs was the problem part. Doctors later said that this was an unwitting attempt to medicate her problem with what she could get her hands on. With proper medication, she's just fine.

I'm asking because I know of at least a handful of other diagnoses where the person behaves irrationally at times; very pleasant, hard-working and congenial at times - but their behavior is largely characterized by emotional and social detachment. If this is the case, his problem might be misdiagnosis.

M

Mousebaby

Here I am..31 going on 5! 02-01-2008 12:09 AM more skeletons out of the closet I see, what a informative week. Explains you hollier then though attitude

To my darling karma giver: :biteme:

I have more colorful words for you, but this is a family forum! :evil:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I hate to see any marriage end in divorce, but as others have said, you only have one life to live.

My advise is an ultimatum. "Seek help, or I'm out of here."

It's surprising what medicines can do now.

You and your children don't need to be exposed to the dark side.

Good luck and God bless. :huggy:

latinamomma

Transam's wife
Hun, it sounds like you know what you must really do. It's sad when a marriage ends, but with him being the way he is towards you and the children..it's not healthy for anyone. You need to talk to a lawyer about getting a divorce and out of that marriage. As for his mother ...she is not any help at all. She is enabling him to do what his is doing. She is just as bad. Life is way too short to live it unhappy. And think about your kids...do you really want them to grow up thinking it's alright to be treated like that? I always put my children first when it comes to a sickness and my husband has done the same. And when it comes to school plays or programs, my husband makes a point to be there with them. Sounds like you have a lot of thinking to do...I wish you the best.

goodolgirl

If the bad days out number the good it's time to move on, I wish my very soon to be ex husband all the best. I hope he finds someone that will make him happy cause he's not now. He is a good person but we do not bring out the best in each other. Good Luck

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
He may not be able to control his moods, but he does have control over his decision to get/not get help.

There is a theory that bipolar disorders can "kindle" much like epilepsy. That is, each untreated episode causes changes in the brains structure that makes the next one worse.

In other words, doing nothing won't make it go away.

I'd tell him to get help or say sayonara. Sometimes hitting bottom is the only thing that will make someone take action.

beerlover

I know lots of people with similar mood swing problems and minor annoyances cause them to "crash". They were all fixed with one pill a day. No counseling, just a mild anti-depressant. The potential side effects are so minor that is almost a no-brainer to give them a try. It might change both your lives.

poster

I hate to see any marriage end in divorce, but as others have said, you only have one life to live.

:yeahthat: In addition to this I would make an appointment for yourself and your children, even if he won't go. You and your children need to know what the problem is so as better to understand his behavior and feel secure in your decision. It will help them to handle their own feelings in the situation also. It's going to get ugly and helping them through it, as well as yourself, should be a priority.

My mother-in-law stayed in a marriage with an alcoholic (don't ask me why, my husband doesn't even get it) for entirely too long and her children suffered for it. Of all her choices in the situation the only good one was she took the children to counceling. I don't think my husband would be the same person he is today if she hadn't done that.

As for your mother, her concern should be your happiness and well being and that of her grandchildren. Shame on her.

Last edited:

bohman

This sounds about right. Kids deserve better, and if what you say is true, he isn't treating them right. Make it clear that his behavior/attitude has to change, and if it doesn't, follow through on getting your children into a better environment.