Hey Dems

SamSpade

I'm for the retention of the electoral college. Its purpose doesn't have anything to do with outdated technology, although some of the mechanism is outdated.

One of the principal "fears" of the founders was that, lacking sufficient information on a candidate, each region would tend to favor a "favorite son" from its own region - giving a HUGE advantage to the most populous states. Without the Electoral College, there was almost no chance that anyone but a Virginian would ever be elected, in the earliest days.

Now try to imagine the concept applied to Maryland, where Baltimore and the suburbs of DC dominate the state, which is essentially rural outside those regions. The good people of Maryland could vote to run highways through every rural region, because hey - they VOTED on it. A *popular* vote. The metropolitan crowds had the 'right' to run roughshod over the more rural regions. Sucks, don't it?

NOW, we have a nation where, by looking at the now famous red and blue map where the metropolitan regions vote Democratic, and the more suburban and rural areas vote Republican. And thus, a "popular" vote would SCREW the rural areas, because a candidate could win without a SINGLE vote from the more rural areas. Sorry. THAT, to me, is what sucks.

A popular vote makes sense in a nation where geography is irrelevant, because it's basically homogeneous and any part of the country is similar to any other more or less.

Imagine if they found gold in Southern Maryland, and the state voted to tax the hell out of this place and give all the money to the folks in Baltimore. That's how it's like. No, I like the idea that a candidate must demonstrate broad support in addition to most or nearly most of the votes.

D

dems4me

Originally posted by SamSpade
I'm for the retention of the electoral college. Its purpose doesn't have anything to do with outdated technology, although some of the mechanism is outdated.

One of the principal "fears" of the founders was that, lacking sufficient information on a candidate, each region would tend to favor a "favorite son" from its own region - giving a HUGE advantage to the most populous states. Without the Electoral College, there was almost no chance that anyone but a Virginian would ever be elected, in the earliest days.

Now try to imagine the concept applied to Maryland, where Baltimore and the suburbs of DC dominate the state, which is essentially rural outside those regions. The good people of Maryland could vote to run highways through every rural region, because hey - they VOTED on it. A *popular* vote. The metropolitan crowds had the 'right' to run roughshod over the more rural regions. Sucks, don't it?

NOW, we have a nation where, by looking at the now famous red and blue map where the metropolitan regions vote Democratic, and the more suburban and rural areas vote Republican. And thus, a "popular" vote would SCREW the rural areas, because a candidate could win without a SINGLE vote from the more rural areas. Sorry. THAT, to me, is what sucks.

A popular vote makes sense in a nation where geography is irrelevant, because it's basically homogeneous and any part of the country is similar to any other more or less.

Imagine if they found gold in Southern Maryland, and the state voted to tax the hell out of this place and give all the money to the folks in Baltimore. That's how it's like. No, I like the idea that a candidate must demonstrate broad support in addition to most or nearly most of the votes.

We have all gone offtopic... maybe do a poll or something... what does any of this have to do with my chance encounter with Pete at the store:confused: :frown:

ylexot

Super Genius
I went through a stage where I thought we could do away with the Electoral College, but then I realized all the things that FromTexas and SamSpade said. The system was put in place for reasons that are still valid today.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
All good points SamSpade and FromTexas.
Certainly they give a lot of validity to the Electoral College.

I am still uncomfortable, however, that someone can "lose" the vote but "win" the election.

Is it possible to design an Electoral College that will always accurately reflect the results of the popular vote?

ylexot

Super Genius
Originally posted by dems4me
I for one think that Gore won the popular vote and should have been elected pres. instead of Bush and Kathleen Turner as co-chair of Bush's campaign should have recussed herself . Sorry In Advance -- jmho :biggrin:
Some time later...
It is just a sad fact of history... we don't keep bringing it up... I'm not one of those radical dems that drone on and one and on about it.
Sorry, I just couldn't help but point this out...

D

dems4me

Originally posted by ylexot
Some time later...

Sorry, I just couldn't help but point this out...

:shutup: :shutup:

Personally, I don't know about having an all or nothing solution to this problem... isn't there a way that we can give the people's vote broader authority on who wins the election and still have an electorial college with a less prevailing role?
kind of like... hmmm... dare I say this... flip-flop their roles???:confused:

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
:shutup: :shutup:

Personally, I don't know about having an all or nothing solution to this problem... isn't there a way that we can give the people's vote broader authority on who wins the election and still have an electorial college with a less prevailing role?
kind of like... hmmm... dare I say this... flip-flop their roles???:confused:

You mean -- isn't there a way we can balance this in favor of votes from the urban entitlment rich sprawl where your party has the majority consistently instead of rely on our Constitution?

:cheers:

D

dems4me

Originally posted by FromTexas
You mean -- isn't there a way we can balance this in favor of votes from the urban entitlment rich sprawl where your party has the majority consistently instead of rely on our Constitution?

:cheers:

:shutup: :cheers:

:smile:

Pete

Repete
Yes, that is exactly what I mean. See if the 2000 election were reversed and Gore won the electorial college and lost the popular vote I would be mum on this subject.

:smile: