High School Football This Weekend

Ibelieve

A week late and $3 short
You are so right about taken baby steps...but maybe if we "the community" show that we believed in them and support the sports program they could win more games. Also, the support of the schools students and teachers would be nice as well. I have high hopes for them, because I have a dog in the fight!

Then be sure to show up for the Board of Ed meeting on September 29th at 5:00 p.m. They will be taking comments from the community regarding turf fields for the high schools in St. Mary's. Go to Leonardtown High School Athletic Boosters Club for more info.

yankee44

Then be sure to show up for the Board of Ed meeting on September 29th at 5:00 p.m. They will be taking comments from the community regarding turf fields for the high schools in St. Mary's. Go to Leonardtown High School Athletic Boosters Club for more info.

The schools need turf fields like I need a hole in the head. I think the county can find something better to spend that kind of money on. :bigwhoop:

And yes i have kids that use these fields.

Ibelieve

A week late and $3 short
The schools need turf fields like I need a hole in the head. I think the county can find something better to spend that kind of money on. :bigwhoop:

I think that you will find in the long run, this will actually SAVE $$$$ for the school system. And the benefits will stretch beyond the scope of just the schools and the children that attend the high schools.

Like it or not, high school sports are becoming a competitive commodity that actually starts at the youth level. In order to protect the children, give them the same advantages that others are getting as well as increasing revenue for many entities (booster clubs, teams, community, the County, etc.), it is a necessary and vital course of action.

Come to the meeting on the 29th if you're so opposed. I'm betting you'd be in the minority.

smilin

BOXER NATION

Close to one million per field. This may not quite be the right time, ya think?
It is very enlightening to see the figures, especialy when you add in the multiple sports that use our fields are way over the recommended. So artificial turf is the way to go. However look at these numbers and how are you going to justify this kind of expense in today's economic environment?
Maybe if you threw in a conditioning center too...
BTW - I too have kids playing so I would like to see them use the same grade equipment as the pros.
Here's a good site:

http://www.sandfordgroup.com/edpicsart/trufwarsillus.gif

semiprofootball

You are so right about taken baby steps...but maybe if we "the community" show that we believed in them and support the sports program they could win more games. Also, the support of the schools students and teachers would be nice as well. I have high hopes for them, because I have a dog in the fight!

RAY GUN Looks like that division 5 team from down south that won the virginia championship and st marys championship last year really learned something from their coach. How to get grades, good enough to play the next year,and how to win and lose games with pride. Congradulations to that pigskin coach and to coach griff,hope you have a great season.What was the name of that pigskin team can anyone help. On another note did you see any local games this weekend,what a terrible weekend does anyone down here teach quater back skills or secondary skills at all.My job is to get starters like Cliffort dukes,John duckett,players like this to play semi pro. In the games i watched so far one name stands out Vergill Dickerson 22 for chopticon a wounder to watch play maby with some blocking chopticon will win a game or two with this kid,and a new secondary.Great job Virgill player of the week.

RayGun

RAY GUN Looks like that division 5 team from down south that won the virginia championship and st marys championship last year really learned something from their coach. How to get grades, good enough to play the next year,and how to win and lose games with pride. Congradulations to that pigskin coach and to coach griff,hope you have a great season.What was the name of that pigskin team can anyone help. On another note did you see any local games this weekend,what a terrible weekend does anyone down here teach quater back skills or secondary skills at all.My job is to get starters like Cliffort dukes,John duckett,players like this to play semi pro. In the games i watched so far one name stands out Vergill Dickerson 22 for chopticon a wounder to watch play maby with some blocking chopticon will win a game or two with this kid,and a new secondary.Great job Virgill player of the week.

Semiprofootball: One thing in your reply stood out: "how to get the grades, good enough to play the next year". I believe that is the biggest problem that the coaches have throughout the county. We have very talented players in all sports here but some of them don't do what it takes in the classroom. St Mary's school system requires a 2.0 GPA to play sports...that is not hard to maintain doing the year. Doing well in school could lead to grater things, sports being one of them. I'm doing my part in trying to get this message across and I hope that others are doing the same. This process should start in Middle School. To play a sport in college at Division I requires 16 core courses and Division II 14 core courses. I would say over none of the incoming Freshman have not been told this and 2013 Div II will change to Div I requirements. If a young man or woman plans on playing sports in college they need to read up on this and the parents too! The National Collegiate Athletic Association web site NCAA Eligibility Center Online has all the information and a student has to register with the NCAA Eligibility Center to play a sport in college. Coaches, if you feel that you have a player who could play at the next level be it D1, D2, D3, NAIA or NJCAA get this information to you players. Parents you need to promote you son or daughter by going to colleges web sites and doing the sports questionnaire for that sport (basketball, football etc). Getting video and sending it to the college that your child is interested in attending. The coaches have a lot on their plates and can not do this for every child.

We need to do all we can to get our kids to college and if sports is the way, so be it. But it starts in the classroom. BTW GM's has a player to watch as well #15 this young man had 13 tackles (solo) and 9 assist with one interception in last weeks game.

smilin

BOXER NATION
Chopticon lost badly. They were shut out.

Might I add that the only person to score for Chopticon is their FEMALE kicker. :yahoo:

Last year the GMHS freshman had a female QB. She was injured most of the year, but certainly earned the respect of her teammates.
Who did Leonardtown play last week? The reporting of game results around here is terrible.

RayGun

Pettet.
Check his stats out on the Max Prep site. The guy was also mentioned in the Post last weekend.

Thanks for the info: It's Petett and this young man had 13 tackles and 9 assist w/one interception. He is second in SMAC and thrid in the state. Also believe this Jenner is #1 in SMAC for passing and #5 in the state. GMHS has some football players who could play in Division I or II Colleges. The players are not getting the exposer that they need..Enterprise where are you?

smilin

BOXER NATION
I have a little game I play: Know the guy who stands at the entrance to Giant food and gives free copes of the Enterprise away? He then asks if you want to subscribe?
I thank him for my copy, open it up to the sports section, point out that there is nothing about Great Mills and politely decline the subscription. Been doing that for years.
My son has told me that Pettet has an offer already from one Div 1 school.

OMG - have you seen Huntingtown's record? 2-0, 72 pf - 7 pa! Can't wait to see these guys play. Guess there's a reason Jerry Franks has a football camp.

Last edited: