Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Jan 4th?

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
Is a gudeepoll anything like a magic stick? :confused:

If Zorn isn't gone by January 4th, I'm predicting a tragic drive-by in either the Leesburg or Landover areas before then. :ohwell:

Beta84

They're out to get us
My co workers dream scenario. Wasn't he GM and HC @ Denver for the last couple of years?
Shanahan may have been GM, but that wasn't necessarily good for the franchise. Probably was a good reason as to why he got fired. The talent level seemed to take a dive and the draft picks weren't as good. Hiring Shanahan as the friggin GM would be retarded.

I don't see winning as something in the foreseeable future with Campbell as QB and swapping out head coaches every other year.

I can't think of one team that changes QB's and coaches as much as Washington and has had a consistent winning record.

Typically QB and coach changes occur when a team is struggling, which is probably why you don't see teams that do that consistently winning. It's not like coaches leave because they are successful and can have upward growth elsewhere, as is the case in the NCAA.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
ESPN Rumor Central....

Bye week could be the beginning of the end for Zorn - Adam Schefter

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 | Print Entry

<!-- begin free preview text -->"As the clock ticks down on Redskins head coach Jim Zorn, some around the league believe it will start ticking loudest shortly after Washington's Monday night game against the Philadelphia Eagles Oct. 26th. With Washington's bye week scheduled for Sunday Nov. 1, some NFL executives are pointing to the week before as a logical time for Redskins owner Daniel Snyder to fire Zorn if the team does not have a sudden and dramatic turnaround."

Looks like some NFL Insiders are predicting Oct 27th, as the date when Jim Zorn will get canned. Losing to the Eagles is not an option if Zorn wants to keep his job. :popcorn:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Shanahan may have been GM, but that wasn't necessarily good for the franchise. Probably was a good reason as to why he got fired. The talent level seemed to take a dive and the draft picks weren't as good. Hiring Shanahan as the friggin GM would be retarded.

The team that Shanahan helped build is now 5-0... yep, real nose dive. Shanahan has a habit of putting pretty much anybody in the backfield and making a 1000 yard rusher out of them. Whether it is the talent of the RB or the OL or a combination of the two Shanahan had/has a way of coaching and/or scouting it out. Eddie Royal yeah, he was a bad pick, picking up Champ Bailey for C.Po, horrid, Brandon Marshall is even coming around (as displayed by his performance in weeks 4&5).

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The team that Shanahan helped build is now 5-0... yep, real nose dive. Shanahan has a habit of putting pretty much anybody in the backfield and making a 1000 yard rusher out of them. Whether it is the talent of the RB or the OL or a combination of the two Shanahan had/has a way of coaching and/or scouting it out. Eddie Royal yeah, he was a bad pick, picking up Champ Bailey for C.Po, horrid, Brandon Marshall is even coming around (as displayed by his performance in weeks 4&5).

Yup.

They, whomever was in charge, picked up solid O line men and then they got coached very well. Not the huge monsters Dallas always seems to find, but the Indy/New England types that are big enough while still being able to be very mobile, good technique and then, frankly, anyone with the physical tools to be considered NFL caliber RB can go from being a 3.5 yard guy on most teams to a 4.5 guy for them.

Portis was a TOTAL mistake for us and I place that 100% on Gibbs; the LAST guy you want for a bulldozer type O line that we had and seemed to be building, was a guy that came from a zone blocking, don't get touched the first 3 yards scheme.

I chalk that one up to Joe being given the credit card and being told "Go buy whatever you like!" So, a pick up truck operation gets a Maserati because we can. :shrug:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It wasn't so much about getting Portis as it was getting rid of Bailey.

Yeah, you told me that. However, we could have gotten something else for Bailey, maybe picks, a good used chamber pot, something, or then traded Portis to someone else. The guy is a warrior. I just never felt good about him fitting here.

Again, I think it was that Joe was told "Sure! Order whatever you want!" and he chose dessert over vegetables.

kom526

Yup.

They, whomever was in charge, picked up solid O line men and then they got coached very well. Not the huge monsters Dallas always seems to find, but the Indy/New England types that are big enough while still being able to be very mobile, good technique and then, frankly, anyone with the physical tools to be considered NFL caliber RB can go from being a 3.5 yard guy on most teams to a 4.5 guy for them.

Portis was a TOTAL mistake for us and I place that 100% on Gibbs; the LAST guy you want for a bulldozer type O line that we had and seemed to be building, was a guy that came from a zone blocking, don't get touched the first 3 yards scheme.

I chalk that one up to Joe being given the credit card and being told "Go buy whatever you like!" So, a pick up truck operation gets a Maserati because we can. :shrug:

Shanahan was the "de facto" general manager and vice president of football operations (wait for links and sources) for 14 years which includes 2 Super Bowl victories and one while O coordinator for SF in 94.

Shanahan's his man as Bowlen discusses reasons for GM's firing - NFL - ESPN
Mike Shanahan Getting Hush Money From Denver Broncos -- NFL FanHouse

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Shanahan was the "de facto" general manager and vice president of football operations (wait for links and sources) for 14 years which includes 2 Super Bowl victories and one while O coordinator for SF in 94.

Shanahan's his man as Bowlen discusses reasons for GM's firing - NFL - ESPN
Mike Shanahan Getting Hush Money From Denver Broncos -- NFL FanHouse

Fine by me. I don't see how that makes him a good fit to be GM with some other big name coaching. Recipe for disaster in my book. I will say it sounds exactly like what Dan will do next.

kom526

Fine by me. I don't see how that makes him a good fit to be GM with some other big name coaching. Recipe for disaster in my book. I will say it sounds exactly like what Dan will do next.

For me, either or will work. Shanahan seems like a guy who has the ability to put together a good team where Cowher has the ability to motivate. (Not necessarily the ability to motivate the current roster.)

Hypothetical:
If Cowher says to Shanahan we need x to accomplish y. Shanahan is going to know and recognize what he is talking about. The unknown for this recipe is the collective ego aspect of the whole thing. 2 coaches with 5 Sb rings between them.

Reality:
Dan will look at somebody like the coach from Texas Tech (we don't need no stinking running game) and think, "this is my guy... again".:ohwell:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
For me, either or will work. Shanahan seems like a guy who has the ability to put together a good team where Cowher has the ability to motivate. (Not necessarily the ability to motivate the current roster.)

I am of the opinion that guys like that make their mark ON THE WAY to being a super star coach and it simply ain't gonna work with established people who have that resume "Hey, my way worked, pal..."

Look at Parcells; everywhere he went he won...and didn't get along with ownership or GM's.

I just can't see it.

Beta84

They're out to get us

They were sucking the past few seasons and even with their 5-0 success nobody is really convinced of how good they are. The New England win was impressive though. Shanahan had very good schemes to make 1000 yard rushers, but that is his COACHING, not his GM abilities :smack:

I never questioned Shanahan as a coach. But Denver's high draft picks recently haven't panned out and their FA pickups really weren't either.

Otter

Nothing to see here
I am of the opinion that guys like that make their mark ON THE WAY to being a super star coach and it simply ain't gonna work with established people who have that resume "Hey, my way worked, pal..."

Look at Parcells; everywhere he went he won...and didn't get along with ownership or GM's.

I just can't see it.

Frankly, if Snyder butts the eff out of football operations and Vinny is gone, I will take anyone.