• Dec 14?

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Jan 4th?

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BuddyLee

Football addict
OK, how could Snyder make things better? Typically teams suck and fall into disrepair because owners wont pay for talent. Snyder is the opposite, he is sitting there with his checkbook open waiting for someone to say "I wish we had........" BOOM they hsow up a Dulles with a lot of luggage.

The problem has been a culture of money, greed and some (not all) lackluster coaches. In this particular culture you need a coach like Tomlin, Gruden, Singletary or even Marty. An old school coach who's worried about the hard work and little details and not letting individual players get what they want.

So, the problem isn't with Snyder throwing money at it necessarily. I see the problem moreso of Snyder not wanting to step aside and letting a quality GM pick a coach. Snyder wants a yes-man. Snyder caters to the players. The players know this.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Shanahan may have been GM, but that wasn't necessarily good for the franchise. Probably was a good reason as to why he got fired. The talent level seemed to take a dive and the draft picks weren't as good. Hiring Shanahan as the friggin GM would be retarded.
I'm pretty sure he had a winning record in all or most of his seasons as head coach with the exception of last season 8-8. Sounds good to me.

Not to mention he helped in the selection of Cutler, Royal and Marshall. Furthermore helping in the development in numerous running backs and tight ends.

I'd take him.

Last edited:

Beta84

They're out to get us
You dare to argue with the omnipotent Beta? :yikes:

HOW DARE HE! :tantrum

actually when i said recent, i meant '07 and '08, neither of which appears to be panning out at the moment (so really BL was agreeing with me, muahaha). Before that, Shanahan wasn't king of the personnel department. He probably helped, but I was just arguing recent history shows maybe he isn't the best GM in the world. He's a good coach and should be coaching again next year.

BuddyLee

Football addict
HOW DARE HE! :tantrum

actually when i said recent, i meant '07 and '08, neither of which appears to be panning out at the moment (so really BL was agreeing with me, muahaha). Before that, Shanahan wasn't king of the personnel department. He probably helped, but I was just arguing recent history shows maybe he isn't the best GM in the world. He's a good coach and should be coaching again next year.
Recent history means nil in the NFL. A majority of the recent prospects that come out of each and every NFL draft don't mature until at least their 2nd or 3rd year. With that said, Shannahan had direct ties to the personnel department, which eventually lead to the promotion a few years back. I'd still take him.

Muhahaha

Beta84

They're out to get us
Recent history means nil in the NFL. A majority of the recent prospects that come out of each and every NFL draft don't mature until at least their 2nd or 3rd year. With that said, Shannahan had direct ties to the personnel department, which eventually lead to the promotion a few years back. I'd still take him.

Muhahaha

yeah but some of the guys from their recent drafts aren't even on the team anymore, including a couple of high draft choices that I think they cut. If that's the case, that's bad! But maybe something else happened, who knows.

And you're a Skins fan, you'd take anyone with a pulse. You guys haven't had a half decent personnel director in years. But you wouldn't take him as GM if you wanted to contend. But hey, maybe he'd be a good starting step.

Last edited:

BuddyLee

Football addict
yeah but some of the guys from their recent drafts aren't even on the team anymore, including a couple of high draft choices that I think they cut. If that's the case, that's bad! But maybe something else happened, who knows.

And you're a Skins fan, you'd take anyone with a pulse. You guys haven't had a half decent personnel director in years. But you wouldn't take him as GM if you wanted to contend. But hey, maybe he'd be a good starting step.
A new coach and GM brings in his own. Those draft picks weren't theirs so they feel no allegience.

I'm pretty sure a lot of teams would take Shannahan if they were in need of a coach/GM or at least would be willing to give him a shot. Look at Parcells for instance.

Beta84

They're out to get us
A new coach and GM brings in his own. Those draft picks weren't theirs so they feel no allegience.

I'm pretty sure a lot of teams would take Shannahan if they were in need of a coach/GM or at least would be willing to give him a shot. Look at Parcells for instance.

Parcells is doin a kickass job :yahoo:. I don't think a coach should also be a GM...too much to handle and it usually ends up screwing the team up. So maybe Shanahan would be good as just a GM if that was his only focus, but he's a good coach and I'd much rather see him back on the field.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Parcells is doin a kickass job :yahoo:. I don't think a coach should also be a GM...too much to handle and it usually ends up screwing the team up. So maybe Shanahan would be good as just a GM if that was his only focus, but he's a good coach and I'd much rather see him back on the field.
Yeah, I think that's where a lot of those experiments go wrong. A coach should coach and a GM should manage. If you want to switch, switch but don't do both. They both require full time +++.