How to let your horse help you beat the battle of the bulge

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
At this time of year, just before the holidays, ads for weight-loss programs saturate print media and the airwaves. Even TV talk shows devote time to the battle of the bulge. I caught part of a Dr. Phil episode in which the prominent self-help guru was evaluating the situation of one overweight guest. The woman commented that she'd like to buy a horse so she could get exercise via riding. "That's great for the horse," responded Dr. Phil drolly, "but what good is it for you?"

Clearly, the good doctor doesn't own a horse. At least, not the right horse. A quiet, well-broke, agreeable mount may indeed not offer much in the way of fitness training. But the right horse (and most of us have owned 1 or 2, haven't we?) will provide a body-building, cardiovascular-enhancing workout that would make Richard Simmons envious.

Allow me to explain...

With the right horse, you begin your fitness program by walking out to the pasture. As you stride briskly, you carry the halter and lead rope behind you, pushed up high on your back so the lead doesn't drag. The purpose of this is to tone your chest and upper-arm muscles (because you're not fooling your horse- -he knows what you're carrying). As you approach to within a few feet of him,he'll walk slowly away from you, then stop. This will be repeated several times in succession, until you're ready to jog. At that point, the horse will trot, then gallop around the pasture.

If you're at the advanced level of fitness, you may continue chasing after him for maximum aerobic benefits. Beginners may prefer to toss the halter and lead on the ground, bend forward from the waist, and engage in heavy breathing and chanting (that's what we'll call it, anyway--chanting) as the horse continues to circle the field. When the horse determines you've had enough of this warm-up session, he'll allow you to catch him.

Now comes the total upper-body workout of grooming. The right horse, of course, will be caked in dried mud. The cement-like consistency of it will require work-to-exhaustion effort of your biceps and triceps.

Next comes the bending, stretching, and toning of hoof-picking. Bend over, pick up the horse's left front foot, then be prepared to jump back as he stomps it back down to the ground. (Keep your knees bent as you jump, to protect your lower back.) Reach down and pick up the foot again, hopping about with the horse to maintain your grip as you attempt to pick what seems to be dirt mixed with Super Glue from the hoof. Eventually the horse may stand still; you may be chanting by this time. Repeat the entire circuit 3 more times, with the remaining feet.

Once you can stand erect again, it's time for the insect repellent exercise. True, with this one, your horse may actually get more of a workout than you do, but you certainly get more of the repellent. It goes like this: Squirt!-circle-circle. Squirt!-circle-circle. Squirt!-circle-circle---and so on, until you're completely misted with repellent.

With the right horse, saddling up provides both aerobic and strength building benefits. The trick is to keep your feet moving as you heft the saddle blanket over and over, trying to keep it in place on a moving target. The blanket exercise warms you up for the saddle exercise, for which the routine is the same, only the weight is much greater--perfect for buffing those hard-to-tone shoulder muscles.

Now comes the mounting exercise. With the right horse, it's left leg up, hop-hop-hop, left leg down. Left leg up, hop-hop-hop, left leg down. For balance, go around to the other side and continue the exercise (right leg up, hop-hop-hop, right leg down, etc.). When your heart rate begins to exceed your target range, look for a bucket. Bend over, pick it up, place it upside-down next to the horse, wait for the horse to move away, then bend over, pick it up again, place it next to the horse, and so on. When the horse deems you've had enough of these repetitions, he'll stand still and allow you to actually mount.

At this point, of course, you'll be too exhausted to ride. It's best not to overdo it, so dismount, grab a protein bar, and head to the shower.
Does this sound familiar :lmao:

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
My red karma.....
12:58pm i see alot of fat asses on asses round here apparently its not working
I am sure the person who wrote this is probably the one whose "ride" is the horse at Walmart :lmao: .
And please go back and read it again :dork: it is "humor", get it?

Last edited:
M

Mousebaby

:lmao: That was sooooo funny!!! It reminds me of when I took my first husband horseback riding. He had never been on a horse so I thought this would be a great way to introduce him to riding. We got on our horses and mine was a little bigger than his and turns out that mine was the lead trail horse. We didn't take a trail we road in an open field and everything my horse did his horse would do. So I thought this will be fun. So I got my horse to start running, he wasn't running very fast, but he was running. A few seconds after we start running I hear my ex-husband behind me screaming at the top of his lungs "Woah dog Woah!" over and over. I was laughing so hard I couldn't get my horse to slow down. Boy was he mad when we finally got off the horses! But that was the funniest day of my life! :killingme

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
:howdy: everyone.
I am glad that those of you who do ride real horses did find humor in this, as I did when a friend sent it to me. But as usual there seems to be a couple of people that need to take the stick out of there A$$ and losen up some.
Don't you just love red karma?
04:36 PM It's not funny and the other red was right!

What the :loser:'s don't get is that you have to ride a real horse to have an experience like this. So no, you also would not find humor in this thread.
Grab your friend, get on the :shortbus: take a ride to Walmart put a quarter in the slot and ride. :lmao:

Last edited:

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
BS Gal said:
09-22-2006 08:29 AM Why is it funny to risk another person's life?

:confused:

:yeahthat:
If the person giving the us the red karma does have horses....they are probably just pasture pets, because they can't ride anyhow :whistle:.

fredsaid2

Don't forget the overhead stretch when attempting to bridle said horse...raise up on your toes to follow the horse's head as you both reach for the sky....hold till muscles cramp and slowly descend. Pause and begin next rep.... :smile:

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
This thread seems to really have some panties in a bunch......

09:00 AM or just maybe they see too many fat horse women to know this is just a bunch of shiat
09:08 AM I challenge you to go to Elam's one Saturday morning and count all the fat women that come in there.

:bigwhoop:
There are people of all sizes that ride horses....small, medium and large. But at least they are doing something that they like and do not let their size intimidate them. I know some skinny male and female horse owners that have horses and when it comes down to riding them they are scared shiatless to ride them.
But, if you are right that most of the women who ride horses are fat than I challenge you to stop hiding behind your nasty little red karma comments to me, and post for all to see:biggrin:

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
ig·no·rance (ĭg'nər-əns)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

noun
The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed. :coffee:

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
persimmoncf said:
ig·no·rance (ĭg'nər-əns)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

noun
The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed. :coffee:

:high5: :buddies:

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
mygoldnhorse said:
This thread seems to really have some panties in a bunch......

09:00 AM or just maybe they see too many fat horse women to know this is just a bunch of shiat
09:08 AM I challenge you to go to Elam's one Saturday morning and count all the fat women that come in there.

:bigwhoop:
There are people of all sizes that ride horses....small, medium and large. But at least they are doing something that they like and do not let their size intimidate them. I know some skinny male and female horse owners that have horses and when it comes down to riding them they are scared shiatless to ride them.
But, if you are right that most of the women who ride horses are fat than I challenge you to stop hiding behind your nasty little red karma comments to me, and post for all to see:biggrin:

I doubt they have the nerve to take your challenge. Their comments are mindless and just plain stupid. :smack:

mingiz

Horse Poor
SouthernMdRocks said:
I doubt they have the nerve to take your challenge. Their comments are mindless and just plain stupid. :smack:

Atleast us fat women riders can ride we don't just throw red karma.... Meet us on the trail and we'll show ya what we can do. We can handle 1200lb horses in any situation so your a$$ won't be nothing to whip :buttkick:

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
:notworthy :killingme
mingiz said:
Atleast us fat women riders can ride we don't just throw red karma.... Meet us on the trail and we'll show ya what we can do. We can handle 1200lb horses in any situation so your a$$ won't be nothing to whip :buttkick:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Horseback riding is a lot better exercise than people think. I did the riding tour of Gettysburg and I was practically a cripple by the end of the day. My thighs were on fire and I had to use good posture for 4 straight hours.

We're still talking about that, right? :confused:

fredsaid2

vraiblonde said:
Horseback riding is a lot better exercise than people think. I did the riding tour of Gettysburg and I was practically a cripple by the end of the day. My thighs were on fire and I had to use good posture for 4 straight hours.

We're still talking about that, right? :confused:

Just casual trail riding is great exercise. Riding involves such a broad range of muscles, why it's used as a therapeutic exercise for the disabled. Take it up a notch and do something like ring work for a solid hour or jump a course or two and you'll quickly see how demanding it can get. Good riders develop a very strong core. The midsection has to be strong, to be a solid base, to allow the legs and hands to operate independently. Throw in the fact that it’s fun and something you love doing, and, what could be better! :smile: