Hurricane Ian

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Youngest step daughter lives in Cape Coral, she is alive but marooned on 3rd floor. They bought property and were in process of building on it, I suspect it's all washed away by now. Waiting for rescue.
Yikes. Hope they get a rescue before dark.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Watching Inside Edition. The damage is unbelievable. Hospital with patients, trashed, water pouring in, scrambles to get patients to a dry spot. Everything underwater. One woman floating in a kiddie pool in her living room in 5 feet of water. Roads totally erased.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Watching Inside Edition. The damage is unbelievable. Hospital with patients, trashed, water pouring in, scrambles to get patients to a dry spot. Everything underwater. One woman floating in a kiddie pool in her living room in 5 feet of water. Roads totally erased.
I saw a news station underwater. Newsroom and equipment all under about 3-4 feet of water. They're not sure when they will be back on the air.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I'm in touch with Sharon and 2A - they were right in the path and couldn't evacuate. As of late yesterday they were doing okay, although their house was taking a beating. She sent me vid of the storm as it was happening - yikes.
Glad they're ok! Disregard a message I sent to you earlier! :lol:

I know several people from a group I belong to who are Snow Birds and one lady I saw on Sunday had a place in Ft. Meyers. She SAID she was waiting until the storm passed to go down to stay with her kids who were there. I haven't had a chance to check on whether she did wait, or the kids evac'd and got out, or whether she still has a house or not. :shocking:

Bann

PREMO Member
So, the aftermath.

2 of my nieces in Lakeland are fine. One lives in an apartment and 1 in a townhouse. Both are good.

My oldest niece is currently building a house in Lakeland - she's not in it, yet. (not sure of that sitch right now) but also lives in Orlando with her partner and daughter. Her "region" for work is the greater Tampa / Lakeland area - so she commutes weekly.

They evacuated from their neighborhood -she posted a video last night of some houses that were flooded there. She sent a generic message yesterday to my brother, that they're all fine - they're in a hotel. Not sure of their house - it's up higher than others. That's in ORLANDO, and of course, we all know now that they experienced record amounts (never before recorded amounts) of rain. Ugh - I guess we'll see.

Reactions: TPD

SamSpade

So yesterday, got off the phone with my brother, completely unaware that he had moved six years ago to a new house. Change that - I KNEW he had moved, I just assumed that he moved to a nicer house in the same town. He'd been in Naples for YEARS, always bragging that the Everglades started right in his back yard.

Nope. FORT MYERS. I had no idea. He did also say that he wasn't dumb enough to live close to the ocean, and that he was a good 35 miles from the shore. Sort of explains why he went to such lengths to describe Fort Myers as being physically large in land area.

Anyway, I asked him how his home did. He said he'll have to replace his fence and a little of his back porch. It's power he's worried about. He has a generator, but once it runs out, there's no guarantee he will even be able to GET ANY MORE FUEL for it. He also said he still has cable but it only gets one channel right now.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
My brother's MIL is in Port St. Lucie, and she fared out ok.

He lives in NC, Holden Beach. Not in the direct path of the storm, but still under hurricane warning right now. Fox Weather has been showing live shots from Holden Beach. Doesn't look bad yet.

PJay

So yesterday, got off the phone with my brother, completely unaware that he had moved six years ago to a new house. Change that - I KNEW he had moved, I just assumed that he moved to a nicer house in the same town. He'd been in Naples for YEARS, always bragging that the Everglades started right in his back yard.

Nope. FORT MYERS. I had no idea. He did also say that he wasn't dumb enough to live close to the ocean, and that he was a good 35 miles from the shore. Sort of explains why he went to such lengths to describe Fort Myers as being physically large in land area.

Anyway, I asked him how his home did. He said he'll have to replace his fence and a little of his back porch. It's power he's worried about. He has a generator, but once it runs out, there's no guarantee he will even be able to GET ANY MORE FUEL for it. He also said he still has cable but it only gets one channel right now.

After a hurricane is the worst part of the whole experience. Not going to be fun for a while.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
After a hurricane is the worst part of the whole experience. Not going to be fun for a while.
I can relate to that. The two weeks following Hurricane Isabel were quite a challenge here on our island. Fortunately we had friends hauling in fuel, water, ice etc on a daily basis, and no shortage of food as we cooked up the contents of many a freezer that thawed out. Its got to be far worse in the Ft. Meyers are than we had it here.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
DeSantis said fuel is on it's way, and all it needs is for gas stations to have power to pump it.

I'm not so sure I'd want to pump fuel from any underground tanks right now. They can shed rain, but many were underwater.

DaSDGuy

Gov Desantis on the Weather Channel. No electric power for millions. Gas stations have fuel on the say and pumps are running on generator backup power. Gov said the fuel is clean.

Bann

PREMO Member
Th

Thank God he's alright!!! 🙏🙏 :huggy: