Hurricane Sandy is coming .....

slseaweed

Here silly, 5% chance of winds greater than 39mph. This thing will be a post TS by the time it gets up here.

LOL, the picture shows a 5% chance of winds greater than 39 mph with the CAT 2 Hurricane at it's current location on the map.

That does not imply that we only have a 5% chance of high winds once it gets closer to us.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Last year, when that one storm came through, a lady at the barn I keep my horse at gave me a really good idea. She braided a small section of her horse's mane and she braided in a string and the end of the string had her horse's name and her telephone number. It was a good idea because if the horse got out of the field, someone would hopefully be able to find her and call her owner. The barn owner always wants the horses out in the field during bad storms because we'd rather the horse be able to run away if there was a problem rather then being stuck in a barn and something bad happen.

That sounds like a good idea with braiding the name tag into the mane. I've heard of some people using spray paint to paint their phone number on the side of their horse so the number could be seen from a distance.

We have a lot of trees that could take the fence down, so I keep the horses in the barn during bad storms (even thunderstorms). There are good points on both sides of the barn vs. field option.

PrepH4U

That sounds like a good idea with braiding the name tag into the mane. I've heard of some people using spray paint to paint their phone number on the side of their horse so the number could be seen from a distance.

We have a lot of trees that could take the fence down, so I keep the horses in the barn during bad storms (even thunderstorms). There are good points on both sides of the barn vs. field option.

I used spray paint on mine before, no barn here just a run-in shed. I leave it to their judgement to stay inside or flee danger.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I used spray paint on mine before, no barn here just a run-in shed. I leave it to their judgement to stay inside or flee danger.

I had no barn for many years, so they were in/out of the run-in by their choice. Unless the rain was really pounding, they'd be outside eating grass like nothing was happening <G>.

ancientmariner

Hello Branson
PREMO Member
Overnight models still indicate blockbuster storm

From the Capital Weather Gang:

Early morning model runs still suggest that hurricane Sandy will come ashore somewhere from the Delmarva to Maine between late Sunday and Tuesday. The storm has the potential to have severe impacts over a large area and this entire region should begin thinking about preparations for a major storm.

Overnight models still indicate blockbuster storm threat from Hurricane Sandy - Capital Weather Gang - The Washington Post

DEEKAYPEE8569

QUICK! Run to the nearest grocery store and buy ALL the toilet paper, milk, bread and eggs that you can! This always makes me wonder if people are intending on making tons of french toast?:drool:

That's what the TP is for.....after the french toast.....

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
LOL, the picture shows a 5% chance of winds greater than 39 mph with the CAT 2 Hurricane at it's current location on the map.

That does not imply that we only have a 5% chance of high winds once it gets closer to us.
So lets watch and see. :biggrin: :popcorn:

Loper

Animal Poor!
So far they don't know where Sandy will hit, but if it's near here, we need to be prepared.

We should all share ideas about how to plan to keep our horses safe if Sandy hits close enough to cause us problems.

Hybrid of Sandy, winter storm threatens East Coast - WTOP.com

I have embroidered halters with the horse name, farm name, and my cell on them, that I will use if needed. I have stalls and run-ins for all the ponies but tend to go with the idea of having them out, just so they can go to where they feel safe themselves. If they want to be in the run-ins they can or if they feel they need to get out into the field, they can do that as well. If the fences come down, I hope they wouldn't go far, but you never know. I will also put a rain sheet on them for possible debri flying rather than cold. Mine all have winter coats a growing and fat, so the sheets wouldn't be for just warmth and wet. :buddies:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Mine will go anywhere they find good grass to eat, and although they don't spook much, wind does make them tend to be excitable and flighty.