Impeachment

black dog

Free America
That damn tiki bar keeps coming up.....
Decisions Decisions, in the spring do I get a new Intec pool or a tiki bar????

PsyOps

Pixelated
Sondland was a huge Trump campaign donor and major fan of Trump's. You think that Schiff got to him and manipulated him into revising 6 portions of his entire testimony (I'd argue that, based on the appendix he provided, he did not do a 180).

I'm not buying it. You're telling me that his original testimony that there was no quid pro quo, then "revising" that to say that there was a quid pro quo isn't a 180? What freaking world do you never-Trumpers live on? I believe Calvin (from Calvin and Hobbs) called it opposite world.

Chris0nllyn

I'm not buying it. You're telling me that his original testimony that there was no quid pro quo, then "revising" that to say that there was a quid pro quo isn't a 180? What freaking world do you never-Trumpers live on? I believe Calvin (from Calvin and Hobbs) called it opposite world.

Sondland was a big donor and long time supporter of Republicans in general. Campaign donations are public record. There's a reason a guy who runs a Hotel company with no foreign policy experience became ambassador to the EU.

In 2016, the RNC published a list of "bundlers" who joined their operation.
Donald Trump and the Republican National Committee added more than 80 bundlers to their joint finance operation
Here is the full list, as provided by the RNC:
Gordon Sondland, Oregon
https://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/donald-trump-rnc-fundraising-225042

I just read through his original testimony and his Appendix and could not find where he revised his original testimony saying there was a quid pro quo. I can't find where he changed his stance on this. Can you help me out? I can search the document so a sentence or two would work.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I just read through his original testimony and his Appendix and could not find where he revised his original testimony saying there was a quid pro quo. I can't find where he changed his stance on this. Can you help me out? I can search the document so a sentence or two would work.

"I now recall speaking individually with Mr. (Andriy) Yermak, where I said resumption of U.S. aid would likely not occur until Ukraine provided the public anti-corruption statement that we had been discussing for many weeks,"

Sondland's original statement:

"Sixth, to the best of my recollection, I do not recall any discussions with the White House on withholding U.S. security assistance from the Ukraine in return for assistance with the president’s 2020 reelection campaign."

“After a large meeting, I now recall speaking individually with Mr. Yermak, where I said that resumption of U.S. aid would likely not occur until Ukraine provided the public anti-corruption statement that we had been discussing for many weeks,”

Now you can quibble over wording, but the first states no quid pro quo; the second states quid pro quo. Democrats are using the second as indication of quid pro quo as a means to impeach Trump. You explain to them (the democrats) there isn't a flip on Sondland's original statement.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
(a) IMO, his opinion should not matter. I agree with that. How he felt something happened is irrelevant. However, (b) we know what he did specifically. And I think that is being overlooked because it's easy to say "see, it's an opinion/presumption
(a) Yup.

(b) First, I'm assuming the "he" is Sondland. So with that in mund, that's not what I'm saying (if that's what others are saying). What I'm saying is that "his presumption which led to what he said" should NOT be equated with what Trump meant or said. That's conflating two different things. Also, it's what the pro-impeachment gang want you to believe: that both of these unrelated things are the same thing.

This shouldn't be a difficult thing for folks to understand. When your kid hears from your other kid about something you supposedly said/meant and then passes on that incorrect info (and the resultant mis-perception) as truth to your spouse and your spouse comes to you to ask "WTH?" Do you tell your spouse "Even though I never said that or meant that, yup"? Or do you say, "Nope, never said or even meant that. L'il Jimmie obviously got bad gouge from l'il Suzie"?

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This shouldn't be a difficult thing for folks to understand.

It sure shouldn't. In a real court of law, a witness interpreting what someone meant is inadmissible. And when it comes from the "codes and dog whistle" people, it should definitely be disregarded.

But they do that all the time. Trump will say something in plain common English, and somehow they twist it around because "they know what he meant".

Chris0nllyn

Sondland's original statement:

Now you can quibble over wording, but the first states no quid pro quo; the second states quid pro quo. Democrats are using the second as indication of quid pro quo as a means to impeach Trump. You explain to them (the democrats) there isn't a flip on Sondland's original statement.

I wonder if anyone will come along and complain about your sources. Surely @vraiblonde will come along and dismiss it because it's CNN.

Either way, I understand. He made numerous comments to the quid pro quo in his original testimony and the issue appears to be that remembered that he pulled Yermak aside to say that "US aid would likely not occur" until after the public statement.

And your belief is that Schiff got to him and made him change his reply? Not Taylor's statement as he stated?

That's not what I'm saying (if that's what others are saying). What I'm saying is that "his presumption which led to what he said" should NOT be equated with what Trump meant or said.

I agree. Which is probably why he stated that multiple times in his original testimony.

It sure shouldn't. In a real court of law, a witness interpreting what someone meant is inadmissible. And when it comes from the "codes and dog whistle" people, it should definitely be disregarded.

But they do that all the time. Trump will say something in plain common English, and somehow they twist it around because "they know what he meant".

Trump and "plain English" don't belong in a sentence. He's relied on people like you to interpret his words another way since day 1.

Yooper

Trump and "plain English" don't belong in a sentence. He's relied on people like you to interpret his words another way since day 1.
I understand why you might say that. But I don't think that's at all true. If you're from that part of the world (i.e., NYC, Queens, LI) you know exactly what Trump is saying. Or, if you have a certain communication style what Trump says is quite easy to apprehend. And so forth.

I find it quite easy to understand him. On the other hand, wasn't quite as successful understanding senior Air Force officers. It is what it is; there's no such thing as a "universal communicator" (other than on Star Trek).

--- End of line (MCP)

Chris0nllyn

I understand why you might say that. But I don't think that's at all true. If you're from that part of the world (i.e., NYC, Queens, LI) you know exactly what Trump is saying. Or, if you have a certain communication style what Trump says is quite easy to apprehend. And so forth.

I find it quite easy to understand him. On the other hand, wasn't quite as successful understanding senior Air Force officers. It is what it is; there's no such thing as a "universal communicator" (other than on Star Trek).

--- End of line (MCP)

I'm not saying people don't understand him, I'm saying he doesn't speak in plain English.

He's repeatedly, despite being a "very smart man", struggles pronouncing basic words. His style of speaking is something different.

Maybe it's because he "hates teleprompters" or because he didn't have his glasses but "anonymous", "liberation", "armed forces", "absurd", etc. are basic words.

Yooper

What was "fun" to watch during my time doing that sort of stuff (i.e., military security assistance) was watching how the host government often did what they could to get the $$$, but then reneged on what they were supposed to do to get the $$$ (after they got the $$$). The reasons why were often hilarious in their bald-faced lie-ery.
Wrong thread, but added here b/c this is where the comment I'm "replying to" is (for those interested in this sort of stuff):

The opening paragraphs:
Germany will reach a NATO defense spending target by 2031, its defense minister said, missing a 2024 deadline agreed by the allies who are under heavy U.S. pressure to beef up their military budgets.

Defense Minister Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer said Germany would spend 2% of its economic output on defense by 2031, belatedly reaching the goal set by NATO leaders at a 2014 summit, months after Russia’s annexation of Ukraine’s Crimea peninsula.

“NATO is and will remain the anchor of European security. But it is also clear that Europe must increase its own complementary ability to act,” Kramp-Karrenbauer told a private event to honor NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg on Wednesday night.

“This starts with the defense budget. We need (to spend) 1.5% by 2024 and 2% by 2031 at the latest,” she said, according to quotes of the speech provided by her office, the first time she has publicly committed to the target to an international audience and weeks before the next NATO summit on Dec. 4.

However, she said the target was not because “others are calling for it but because it is in the interest of our own security”.

Anybody want to lay odds that this will happen (or not)? Or that this statement was nothing more than a "kick the can" statement to get past 2024 (or, at least, 2020)?

EDIT: Perhaps Germany's statement is on the level and has less to do with Trump and more to do with France's reaction to Trump. Only time will tell....

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

Midnightrider

(a) Yup.

(b) First, I'm assuming the "he" is Sondland. So with that in mund, that's not what I'm saying (if that's what others are saying). What I'm saying is that "his presumption which led to what he said" should NOT be equated with what Trump meant or said. That's conflating two different things. Also, it's what the pro-impeachment gang want you to believe: that both of these unrelated things are the same thing.

This shouldn't be a difficult thing for folks to understand. When your kid hears from your other kid about something you supposedly said/meant and then passes on that incorrect info (and the resultant mis-perception) as truth to your spouse and your spouse comes to you to ask "WTH?" Do you tell your spouse "Even though I never said that or meant that, yup"? Or do you say, "Nope, never said or even meant that. L'il Jimmie obviously got bad gouge from l'il Suzie"?

--- End of line (MCP)
where do you think Sondland got his understanding that trump was holding the aid for the announcement?