Inductions

Any ladies here been through an induction? If so, tell me about it. Did you end up with an emergency c-section? Was the pain more intense after the induction drugs were administered? Don't sugar coat it for me either. TY! :popcorn:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
They didn't give me drugs - they broke my water and made me walk around until my daughter decided to be born. I'm against medicated induction. I think babies will come out when they're good and ready.

Pete

Repete
vraiblonde said:
They didn't give me drugs - I broke my water and I reached up and yanked the baby out myself. I'm against medicated induction. My babies will came out when I siad it was time!
:rolleyes:

vraiblonde said:
I think babies will come out when they're good and ready.

That's what my mom says. But my doctor wants me to only go a week over my due date for the health of the baby. She said they start producing meconium and ingesting it, which will make them sick. They also get bigger. :faint:

So far, it looks like this boy does not want to come out by Monday.

She said I'm allowed to go two weeks, but she doesn't recommend it. However, the decision is mine.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I was in labor (but didn't know it :faint:) and the doc didn't want to risk sending me home, then me not making it back in time, so I was induced. Easy peasy. I was in labor for 21 hours, and didn't start feeling intense pain until about three hours before he was born. No c-section, no complications whatsoever.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Speedy70 said:
That's what my mom says. But my doctor wants me to only go a week over my due date for the health of the baby. She said they start producing meconium and ingesting it, which will make them sick. They also get bigger. :faint:

She said I'm allowed to go two weeks, but she doesn't recommend it. However, the decision is mine.

But there is a two-week play in the pregnancy time anyway. I'd still wait. Babies very rarely arrive on their due date. Keep yourself busy.

H

hborror

With both of my kids Pitocin was used. With my first I had her within 13 hours and all was fine. With my 2nd 3 hours after pitocin was started her heart rate dropped from 145BM to 50BP had to be taken off right away until she was born she had a monitor on her scalp and had to lay on my left side. If I am going to have anymore kids I will not be getting pitocin again, very scary.

Cowgirl

My sister was induced a week early with her first baby because of size concerns. She was in labor for several hours, but baby decided she didn't want to turn down to be born...so the doc said you can either stay in labor for the rest of the day (because he had to go to his office for the rest of the morning) and see if she turns, or we can do a c-section now. My sis opted for the c-section, because she really wanted one anyways.

jenbengen

Watch it
Speedy70 said:
Any ladies here been through an induction? If so, tell me about it. Did you end up with an emergency c-section? Was the pain more intense after the induction drugs were administered? Don't sugar coat it for me either. TY! :popcorn:

Brutally honest- induction sucked, I didn't want to, but they insisted since my water broke very prematurely, fever occurred, etc etc.

I forget the drug they gave me, but it's a popular one. It sucks. The epidural obviously made things better, but it all seemed so unnatural and forced. Baby didn't descend after 24 hours, even with the massive contractions, and I had a c-section (non-emergency and went very smoothly).

Just my opinion! Some people have no issues whatsoever, so it's a 50/50 shot.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Speedy70 said:
But my doctor wants me to only go a week over my due date for the health of the baby.
My doc let me go a month before he popped me. Kyle was 8 lbs, so I'm glad I waited that extra month to let her gain some weight.

How are you feeling? Because if you have edema and other discomforts, I can see the doc wanting to get you unpregnant.

Cowgirl

cattitude said:
But there is a two-week play in the pregnancy time anyway. I'd still wait. Babies very rarely arrive on their due date. Keep yourself busy.

:yeahthat: I'm relating this to livestock, because I have a crapload of livestock birthing experience and no human baby experience. First time almost always go longer than their normal gestation period. It's the experienced mommas that pop out babies a week early. :lmao:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
I was induced because they "thought" I was two weeks overdue, although I assured them that I could not have gotten pregnant when they said I did. They induced and kept turning that stuff up. It was awful. I was in hard labor forever and I never dialated. They then broke my water, so there was no turning back. Still did not dialate. 12 hours later they did an emergency c-section. Turns out boy was pre-mature. They should have just let me go for a few more weeks. That being said, the dr. was pretty sure I was going to have a c-section way before he was born because I had a very small birth canal.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Cowgirl said:
:yeahthat: I'm relating this to livestock, because I have a crapload of livestock birthing experience and no human baby experience. First time almost always go longer than their normal gestation period. It's the experienced mommas that pop out babies a week early. :lmao:

I dunno, at the very end of the pregnancies, I pretty much felt like a cow. :lol:

jenbengen

Watch it
Speedy70 said:

My child was 8 days "late". They just kept an eye on the amniotic fluid levels and the baby's size and said unless they saw a problem, they would wait.

jenbengen

Watch it
cattitude said:
I had to be induced with my second one. Was 5 cm dialated and still no labor. He was waving at people. :lmao: Labor was a breeze for me ...4 hours start/finish and only had pain meds initially..he had some distress so no "refill" on the pain meds..wasn't too bad really.

It's your first baby...have fun! But I'd wait to go into labor, don't rush him.

Definitely don't rush it- go see a movie, eat a quiet dinner, listen to the sound of silence in your home, read a real book....you'll wish you had done it more while you could. :lmao:

Cowgirl

cattitude said:
I dunno, at the very end of the pregnancies, I pretty much felt like a cow. :lol:

:lol: My sister was talking about trying to pump, and I teased her and told her I could get her a machine that would pump both at the same time and way faster. :lol:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
jenbengen said:
Definitely don't rush it- go see a movie, eat a quiet dinner, listen to the sound of silence in your home, read a real book....you'll wish you had done it more while you could. :lmao:
:yeahthat: And sleep now, while you can. :lmao:

hotmomma

mmmmhmmmmm
I was induced with pitocin. All was fine and dandy until the heart rate dropped too low and they had to stop the pitocin for about 2 hours. Heart rate improved so they started drug again. Heart rate went down again but not as bad. Had to stay on my side the entire time. Pain didn't start until doctor broke my water. Hurt like hell (this was my 2nd kid, 1st was much easier). Gave me epideral after that and the rest was a piece of cake.
Start to finish was about 9 hours.