Is it mine? Or should I give it back?

lovinmaryland

Guess I'm alone on this one.

I would keep the ring until I was ready to give it back....i deserve to have whats left of my would be husband...im greiving. what sick coldhearted family does this? they were ready to accept me into their home as a daughter in law but now its like "whatever - give us back our property."
And.......this is totally disrespectful to my would be dead husband. He's probably rolling over in his grave, he would want me to have whats left of our love.

When did he pass? Depending on the time frame they asked for it back it may be a little coldhearted. If it were me I would have eventually given it back no asking necessary.

W

Wenchy

Knowing the importance of a "family" heirloom, I'd give it back. If you had gotten married and had a child, it would have eventually gone to another one of his family members. Since that didn't happen, the right thing to do would be to return, so that it will remain in the family.

Even if I married, then divorced at some point, I'd return a family heirloom if I didn't have a child associated with his family to will it to.

:yeahthat:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
they asked for it back 3 months after his death.

I don't think that's unreasonable. Matter of fact, they shouldn't have even had to ask for it. They probably thought you'd give it back without having to ask for it.

If they waited a longer, would you think they should have asked for it sooner?

AnnieC

I would keep the ring until I was ready to give it back....i deserve to have whats left of my would be husband...im greiving. what sick coldhearted family does this? they were ready to accept me into their home as a daughter in law but now its like "whatever - give us back our property."
And.......this is totally disrespectful to my would be dead husband. He's probably rolling over in his grave, he would want me to have whats left of our love.

So you gonna stay engaged to this dead dude for life and never get married again?
If you have to come to the Forum to ask...you are not greiving that bad..
Do the right thing and give it back.

PS: Did he remember you in his will?
Did he leave you his estate?
If not..return the ring and take the replacement..the family is greiving too!

vbailey

vbailey
they asked for it back 3 months after his death.

As hard as it is, and again if it were me I would also be heart broken, but it really is the right thing to return the ring to the family since it once belonged to another memeber of their family....Ask for something that once belonged to him, maybe a toy, or blankie or something from his childhood that you could cling too in his memory...that is what I would do, I would not want a replacement ring from some store...I would want something else that was a part of him...

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
No marriage, no ring. Since he didn't purchase it for you and it was given to him by the family you should give it back.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Lets say you were engaged to be married, and received a family heirloom (about 80 years old) as the engagement ring. Your fiance' dies before you get married. His family wants the heirloom back and is willing to give you a replacement ring.

Should I give it back? Or do I keep it?
What would be the legal answer to this as well since the contract was with him, NOT his family.

You should give it back, regardless of the legalities.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Lets say you were engaged to be married, and received a family heirloom (about 80 years old) as the engagement ring. Your fiance' dies before you get married. His family wants the heirloom back and is willing to give you a replacement ring.

What would be the legal answer to this as well since the contract was with him, NOT his family.
:popcorn:
Is this another one of your stories that goes on for two pages before you let loose with the rest of the story?

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
This exact topic was part of the movie Catch & Release. She refused to give the ring back. In the end it's up to you but I would probably give it back if it were me.

I tried to post the link but it won't copy & paste correctly. Wikipedia and search the movie title will.

Last edited:

Christy

b*tch rocket

He's probably rolling over in his grave that you are battling with his grieving family. His family is what is left over, you can get a lot more of him from them than from an inanimate object. I imagine they have a lot of stories that they could tell you about him and you would still have that part of him through them.

It's just a ring, give it back.

vbailey

vbailey
I would give the ring back even if the family did not like me...it is just the right thing to do...It just would feel wrong to me to keep something that was a part of their family for so many years since I would now not be apart of the family...

kelb

art imitating life

:popcorn:

few questions...

How long were you together total?
How long were you actually engaged?
Kids together?
Did you get along with the fam before he died?
Are you in his will?