Janet Yellen blames Americans' 'splurging' for record-high inflation

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
I agree 100%. My argument is that if the inflation is hurting ALL of us so badly, then you would see abysmal to near nothing as far as luxury sales. Apparently, there are still those that have enough for the new cars, luxuries, and inflated prices at the grocery. As long as that is occurring, then the pricing will not change very much.
It won't change as long as they are in short supply.

The moment the chip problem is resolved and dealers begin to fill their lots to surplus, prices will decline.

I'm not sure who you are seeing driving masses of new cars or trucks. (Anecdotally of course 😏 ) I only know of two from perhaps a couple of hundred family, friends and co-workers that have purchased a new vehicle in the last two years. One of them, someone who normally trades every couple years was griping he was priced out.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Not sure what the deal is with beef increases but it may be heavily based on how long to market for that product. Usually about 18 months, vs 6 months or just weeks for chicken.

The increases in cost of feed, medicine, etc. would accumulate for the larger animals.
Feed costs have skyrocketed. The only way my beef supplier has managed to avoid huge increases in what he charges us for beef is because he raises most of his own feed stocks. But even that has been hard hit by cost increases in fertilizer, diesel fuel and ag chemicals.

SamSpade

Actually, I called out someone for RUNNIG AWAY whenever they spew opinionated nonsense and are then asked to explain themselves with facts.
As for my interaction with you on this thread.. everything I mentioned regarding the point I was making regarding the OP is extremely common knowledge. Are people still buying new cars? Yep! Are they at inflated prices? Yep! Are people still paying huge amounts of money to attend football, basketball, baseball, and hockey games or concerts? Yep! Common knowledge found literally EVERYWHERE. Do you simply need me to show you data that people have bought new cars this year?? It's not like I am trying to argue the point that people are buying more 1988 Chevy Camaros in the color Red after the month of September!
No, I want you to observe that car sales are down, and have been falling for a few years now. It's irrelevant that SOME sales are happening. It's significant that there are fewer of them. "Common knowledge" aside, I've already cited data showing the decreases.

I don't see entertainment outlets as any indication of the strength of the economy, either. For one, like cigarettes and booze, some people will make any sacrifice to do their entertainment. For another, it MIGHT make sense if ticket sales were not finite. If a stadium tends to sell out for a sporting event decade after decade, it doesn't demonstrate lowered demand because you can only sell so many tickets. It just shows that enough demand continues to exist for the amount of tickets able to be sold.

Does that make sense? Let's say there's a hundred tickets for a game, and they sell out. If there were a million seats, could you sell them all? Maybe not, but you may have a strongly established demand for that one hundred seats. So the next year, when inflation hits, those thousand seats could still fill up - but "demand" might only be for half a million seats.

All we know is within say, the area around FedEx field, there's enough fans to fill that stadium. If my rich friend with season tickets for everything is any indicator, there's easily enough rich people to either go or sell off cheaply the games they're gonna miss.

What I do see is indicative of how inflation hits households, is how much households have on hand to pay their bills. And THAT has been measured. And THAT has been getting visibly worse.

So screw "football" as an indicator of prosperity - I haven't been to one in twenty years. This is not "anecdote" - it's comparing it to going to the grocery store or the department store, something I do every DAY.

SamSpade

It won't change as long as they are in short supply.

The moment the chip problem is resolved and dealers begin to fill their lots to surplus, prices will decline.

I'm not sure who you are seeing driving masses of new cars or trucks. (Anecdotally of course 😏 ) I only know of two from perhaps a couple of hundred family, friends and co-workers that have purchased a new vehicle in the last two years. One of them, someone who normally trades every couple years was griping he was priced out.
This is where I don't follow his reasoning at all. When there's a high demand for something in a store, I go back on the weekend and find -

SOLD OUT. Empty shelves. I ask when they'll have more. Sorry. That's all we plan to have.

His reasoning is that people are still buying them. Well that's probably always the case. But the sales are down.
USED car sales are down (probably because of interest rates).
People still go to the movies.
But sales are way down.

People still buy NEWSPAPERS AND MAGAZINES. See? But the sales are down.

OccamsRazor

This is where I don't follow his reasoning at all. When there's a high demand for something in a store, I go back on the weekend and find -

SOLD OUT. Empty shelves. I ask when they'll have more. Sorry. That's all we plan to have.

His reasoning is that people are still buying them. Well that's probably always the case. But the sales are down.
USED car sales are down (probably because of interest rates).
People still go to the movies.
But sales are way down.

People still buy NEWSPAPERS AND MAGAZINES. See? But the sales are down.
Ok. Maybe a different approach is necessary. How about this....

At what point does sales (in general) have to decline before we start to see prices actually decrease or head back to normal levels?

Obviously, and as pointed out several times, falling sales have NOT effected pricing since they have only gone up. How low does the Demand need to be before things change?

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
I hope you are right. Can't remember the last time the cost of new cars actually went DOWN.
Because you never see what the actual cost of things like that are.

Before the chip shortage hit, I caught a hint of it's impact. I had planned on buying a new truck. I chose to buy early and with a few days of negotiations between four dealers on 5 different trucks, one of he local dealerships dropped almost 10k off the price of a mid-50s truck.

That tells you how much margin there is. I am 100% certain they still made good money on the thing.

Right now they're getting sticker plus at times but those prrices will drop like stone when supply comes back.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Ok. Maybe a different approach is necessary. How about this....

At what point does sales (in general) have to decline before we start to see prices actually decrease or head back to normal levels?

Obviously, and as pointed out several times, falling sales have NOT effected pricing since they have only gone up. How low does the Demand need to be before things change?
Demand only has to fall below supply for that to happen.

It will also happen if supply just rises past demand. Kinda like it had in many fields prior to 2020.

Right now, the supply chain, shipping and manufacturing are at a low. All that chinese crap in Walmart and others is only trickling in because of Chinas Zero Covid plan of shutting down many of those facilities.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Right now they're getting sticker plus at times but those prrices will drop like stone when supply comes back.
Yes, but not right away. It will take time for everyone to get what they want, so the dealers will keep high prices until they are no longer moving the volume. As long as there is demand, prices will stay high.

In the meantime, I'll continue to treat my 2014 with respect.

SamSpade

I agree 100%. My argument is that if the inflation is hurting ALL of us so badly, then you would see abysmal to near nothing as far as luxury sales.
There's 335 million of us. For a few million, I am certain that the costs of things don't affect their lives at all.
How many times in our lifetime have we ridiculed rich politicans or rich Hollywood types, because they have no idea what it's like to commute on the subway, drive or maintain a car or pump gas, buy groceries in a store or actually cook their own food?

Or shown they have no concept of the higher costs of health care, because they have THEIR OWN CONCIERGE DOCTOR on site? They have no idea.

I've known people who buy new cars every year. When I was a kid, I lived in a rich neighborhood - odd, because we weren't rich - and there were KIDS who drove a new sports car for each year of high school. This was the seventies, when inflation was obscene.

(They also, in all likelihood, were Mafia and were immune to inflation).

For a strata of society - inflaction does not affect them.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
:yay:

I put 3k into my 2004 just last spring to ensure it's good for the next 10 years.
I just gave it a new set of tires and oil. The only real expenditure I will make is a new rear bumper and a few pieces of interior trim to make it look brandy new. Just coming up on 100k miles.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
I just gave it a new set of tires and oil. The only real expenditure I will make is a new rear bumper and a few pieces of interior trim to make it look brandy new. Just coming up on 100k miles.
My 2004 is just short of 195k

OccamsRazor

There's 335 million of us. For a few million, I am certain that the costs of things don't affect their lives at all.

For a strata of society - inflaction does not affect them.
But, are these very few people the one's responsible for keeping prices sky high for the other 99% of us?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
But, are these very few people the one's responsible for keeping prices sky high for the other 99% of us?
No.

But lets assume I was a 1%er, and stopped buying. What happens? The business fold and go out of business so NO ONE can buy anything. Us 1% are keeping things open and viable.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
What items or categories do you feel are higher, but not impacted by energy or are in plentiful supply?

OccamsRazor

Well if you have some OTHER Information Einstein

****ING SPELL IT OUT .... Stop Playing Games
Was I directing that at you? Don't you have more nickels to make with your cut-n-paste projects? Oh wait... I remember now... It's that oh so fulfilling life you lead by spamming news articles from 4AM to 8PM on local internet forums just for fun.
Buzz off!

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Feed costs have skyrocketed.

2 things

1. Cost of Fertilizer has doubled [ fuel costs to get the base material and Ukraine Exports - if you believe the news ]
2. Transportation costs of the final products

To produce the feed stock .... then doubling of Fuel Prices to move the feed stocks to Market

Fuel Costs of the Farmer to get the feed stocks home