Key Bridge Collapse In Baltimore

PJay

Ah yes, the I-94 corridor!!!!! You have SHUT IT DOWN!!!!

It adds about an hour to the journey. Not much of a shutdown.

I have my own intel sources. Cant tell you who they are, but they are further inside than hers and they say her sources are telling her what she wants to hear so they can laugh at her.

Man, you gotta surface and look at the larger picture. This doesnt really shut down anything but the port of baltimore, and that only for a few weeks.
:roflmao:

PeoplesElbow

Holy Carp, maybe if all you domineering males swing your e-penises together in the same direction, you could create your own perpetual motion machine to power your EV crap and start a thread. Oh wait, your dipthingy's did that and manage to invade more threads with your ever BS about it!
So you're saying you like seeing guys helicopter?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Huge..... Much of the data is things like hatch closures, bilge alarms, vapor alarms, myriad fluid level sensors, engine monitoring for mains and generators, hydraulic systems, and on and on...literally hundreds of channels.

Dali Timeline from Data Recorder in Striking Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, March 26, 2024​

Hijinx

I do not like the word discover in this story. It should have been a known factor from the beginning.
The a week later they say , Hey there a big gas pipeline under that mess.

TPD

the poor dad
5 days later and I bet the first piece of steel or concrete still has not been moved, other than by the tide. Government needs to get out of the way and let private industry take over.

Chopticon64

5 days later and I bet the first piece of steel or concrete still has not been moved, other than by the tide. Government needs to get out of the way and let private industry take over.
The “private industry” that knocked the bridge down? That one?

HemiHauler

You mean like the three (at least) private concerns already contracted?

HemiHauler

Yes the ones that can't do a damn thing until the government officials give them the ok.

Alright. Lets game this out.

Say I have some capital, loads of it. Let’s further say I know a few people who are skilled and accomplished at marine salvage and have the equipment.

If I fund them, they should just be able to show up and start working, right?

Makes perfect sense.

TPD

the poor dad
Alright. Lets game this out.

Say I have some capital, loads of it. Let’s further say I know a few people who are skilled and accomplished at marine salvage and have the equipment.

If I fund them, they should just be able to show up and start working, right?

Makes perfect sense.
Yes - if you have contracted them to work for you then let them do the job - they are the experts. The specs of the contract say - remove debris, open up the shipping channel. Ok, let me move the debris and open up the shipping channel, now get out of my way - this ain't my 1st rodeo!!

Salmon

We really cannot rebuild the key bridge. We are in a climate emergency, and we need to move away from people using their personal vehicles on a whim. In other words, the need for a new bridge will naturally lessen over the years.

phreddyp

Yes - if you have contracted them to work for you then let them do the job - they are the experts. The specs of the contract say - remove debris, open up the shipping channel. Ok, let me move the debris and open up the shipping channel, now get out of my way - this ain't my 1st rodeo!!
You are wasting your breath PD, trying to explain how something gets done to someone who has NEVER done anything except whine, is a fools errand. Doers do, that is how we are wired plain and simple, and a few are exceptional at it!

Reactions: TPD

TPD

the poor dad
Here is an interesting article on Gilligan's website concerning a cruise ship losing propulsion and a behind the curtain look so to speak on what is happening as a blackout occurs.

Prior to the loss of power the engine control room registered around 200 alarms in total, with 90 tank level warnings and four low lube oil alarms. The alarms were acknowledged but no remedial action was taken.

Subsequent alarms that oil levels had dropped below acceptable limits resulting in automatic load shedding were responded to in similar fashion.

While the crew had conducted blackout drills, it had never trained the recovery from a full blackout without use of a standby generator.

A plethora of alarms in the engine room following the blackout further contributed to confusion and stress. The alarms also did not distinguish between low and high priority alerts.

“Troubleshooting was therefore challenging when a total of approximately 1,000 alarms sounded within the first 10 seconds after the blackout,” the report concludes.

I can't imagine trying to deal with 1000 alarms sounding at once.