Kitchen remodel opinions

Do you like this kitchen photo attached?

• Yes

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters

Dakota

~~~~~~~
See picture attachment…
What do you think of white cabinets with white appliances?

Attachments

• White Kitchen - 1.jpg
    White Kitchen - 1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 391

acommondisaster

The problem with the white/white is the rest of the room, imo. The backsplash is wrong; do you have under cabinet lighting? The valances should be a solid color, maybe a primary color with pops of the same color in the room's accessories. Lose the wreath. Are the cabinet pulls brushed nickel? Can't tell by the picture.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
The problem with the white/white is the rest of the room, imo. The backsplash is wrong; do you have under cabinet lighting? The valances should be a solid color, maybe a primary color with pops of the same color in the room's accessories. Lose the wreath. Are the cabinet pulls brushed nickel? Can't tell by the picture.

The picture is a real estate listing photo so I've never seen this kitchen in person. I've seen several listings with white cabinets and appliances. I just would have never thought to combine white cabinets with appliances but if you have a crappy kitchen, new white appliance and want to change the cabinets, white may be workable if the rest of the décor is done to deliver. At least that is what I was thinking. I do like the dark black counter tops here but I thought it was strange they installed a glass tile back splash when the counter tops already have back splashes installed. This may be why you find it “all wrong.” Perhaps it would look better with something else (a polished stone or something) or just paint – something in a sage color.

acommondisaster

I do like the black countertop contrast. And the white cupboards/appliances are fine too. (Not everyone likes stainless, we just have to get past that). It's the rest of the room that bugs me.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
The room is way to small to have an island, the tile on the wall is hideous as is the color of the other walls.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
The room is way to small to have an island, the tile on the wall is hideous as is the color of the other walls.

That paint is crazy. :lol: Over by the fridge they have the back part beige and the one side olive or something. I love glass tiles in the store but I just think putting them on walls makes it too busy unless you go with something 2-tone. That island has an electric plug on the side so it looks fixed so the electric must come up from the floor and to remove it means having to replace the floor. They could have had that pushed over to the empty wall and I think it would have been better space wise.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Another thing, in this kitchen, they should have installed crown molding to the cabinets at the top. I think it would have given it a better look also.

acommondisaster

I didn't want to rip on you too much, if that was your kitchen. You're right, the room color/backsplash is wrong and just makes the room seem small and dark.

Do you think those are cup pulls?

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I didn't want to rip on you too much, if that was your kitchen. You're right, the room color/backsplash is wrong and just makes the room seem small and dark.

Do you think those are cup pulls?

I bet they are.... if so, the handles alone cost a sizable amount of money but it is those handles that make the kitchen pop.

And no this isn't my kitchen, I was just interested in the style and this picture shows the shaker style cabinets I have... I wasn't paying attention to the rest of it because my kitchen isn't shaped this way. I have to replace 2 bases and I'm worried about matching the color when I do. If I go all white, matching will not be a problem - just crown molding at the top of the cabinets is a must. :lol: Then again, I'm very uncertain about white on white.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
I like the white on white, but I like distressed white cabinets better - and light tone wood best of all.

Wish I had gone clear to the ceiling with the wall cabinets when we did our kitchen remodel 15 yrs ago. And we went with really inexpensive knobs at the time, thinking we would upgrade them later. But the sunshine/dirt/whatever has changed the tone of the wood so much that replacing them with handles now is impossible.

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
I do not like white kitchens or white appliances. The set up looks like it would be good for working in there.

B

BET

See picture attachment…
What do you think of white cabinets with white appliances?

I love the black and white look. The walls and curtains need to be a brighter color to add some warmth. The plaid swags and wreath look out of place.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
The white may be OK for a larger kitchen but I don't like the one in the pic....Reminds me of the old metal cabinets of the 50's or earlier....

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Never cared much for white cabinets. Always liked the wood grain.

I like that too but I am considering the white on white if I can do it to look more elegant. I have a very open kitchen visible to all guests. Our kitchen is 17 ½ by 24 ½ and currently, it is a 90’s style U-shaped kitchen (complete with BLUE – that’s right – BLUE countertops :gag: ). It is my intent to make an L-shaped kitchen with a free standing/butcher block island that can be moved out of the way if need be. We intend to remove a pantry closet and install actual pantry cabinets and another 6 foot of counter space on our fridge side. In this picture, the cabinets are far too shinny for my liking, they offer no crown molding (and I think this does make a vast difference), the backsplash is too busy and the decorations are indeed, lacking in this design but white cabinets with black countertops was my main visual focus when starting this thread. It is just a scary thought doing something that well… might not be so out of the ordinary but actually drastically different from what I currently have. In order to keep budget cost down, I would use some of my pre-existing oak shakers and add in new unfinished one – eventually matching all either with stain or paint. If I go white, I intend to use black drawer cups and knobs made of cast iron. I just wonder if it can all be pulled off to look elegant and not 50’s diner. :cds:

Last edited:

acommondisaster

I think it can, Dakota. White cabinets are not everyone's taste, but they can look very nice. Have you looked at Annie Sloan's chalk paints? Have a look at her site and some of the sites of people who use her paints - you might get some finish ideas. I think stainless will go out of style, just like black, almond, white have all had their long runs - so do what appeals to you. :)

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I don't think the photo you posted is that bad–I actually quite like it. I do not care for the backsplash but I kinda like the wall color (maybe not for that room, though). If it were my kitchen, I would eventually swap out the white appliances for black. It doesn't look bad as is, but I think black appliances would add a nice contrast to the white cabinets. Everyone's aesthetic is different, though. Some people hate white cabinets, but tons of people have them so you know it isn't some wacky choice. :lol:

Have you checked Pinterest for more inspiration photos? I tried to look around but their search feature is HORRID. More often than not I get an error. :cds:

Good luck with the remodel! I bet you're excited. :lol: