Kitchen remodel opinions

Do you like this kitchen photo attached?

• Yes

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I believe Silestone is quartz, right? Our counters will be Formica. :lol:

We are doing our own demo and a local company here is installing our floor. We went with a high end Linoleum that mimics the look of a tile floor. We ordered our cabinets from Lowes (Shenandoah) and we have an experienced friend in the business hanging them for us. He has also gotten us set up with custom made counter tops in Formica that avoids us from having seams. So some things we've hired out to have done and some things we'll do. Currently, we have 10 cabinets and this remodel will give us 20. It will be a white on white kitchen so.... it's scary.

mamatutu

mama to two
I believe Silestone is quartz, right? Our counters will be Formica. :lol:

We are doing our own demo and a local company here is installing our floor. We went with a high end Linoleum that mimics the look of a tile floor. We ordered our cabinets from Lowes (Shenandoah) and we have an experienced friend in the business hanging them for us. He has also gotten us set up with custom made counter tops in Formica that avoids us from having seams. So some things we've hired out to have done and some things we'll do. Currently, we have 10 cabinets and this remodel will give us 20. It will be a white on white kitchen so.... it's scary.

Yes, Silestone is quartz? Is your pic formica? If it is, I def made the wrong choice, which is most likely pricier! I still have time to change it because Silestone guy comes next week to take the final digital measurements for cutting. Has the bug bitten you yet that you want all new dinnerware, glassware, flatware, cookware, etc.? I am going to get an antibiotic for this bug, because I have it bad!!! :roflmao:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Has the bug bitten you yet that you want all new dinnerware, glassware, flatware, cookware, etc.? I am going to get an antibiotic for this bug, because I have it bad!!! :roflmao:

:lmao: Funny you mentioned that.. I've been packing boxes on and off the last few days - taking things to the thrift store. I have already ordered several new items. My picture is formica. Besides our kitchen, we had other remodel expenses in our budget and I was getting the 'bug' to buy new kitchen things before our decisions were finalized.... hence the reason for going with formica.

mamatutu

mama to two
:lmao: Funny you mentioned that.. I've been packing boxes on and off the last few days - taking things to the thrift store. I have already ordered several new items. My picture is formica. Besides our kitchen, we had other remodel expenses in our budget and I was getting the 'bug' to buy new kitchen things before our decisions were finalized.... hence the reason for going with formica.

I just discussed with hub the option of formica, and showed him your pic. He couldn't believe how beautiful it is!!! Definitely, rethinking our strategy. Thanks! Please post pics of your beautiful new kitchen! Happy cooking!!!:smile:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Formica has come a long way. When we were pricing, I almost went with granite because it has come so far down in price (less than quartz)... but 2 people who do construction talked me out of it. It wasn’t just price vs. durability factor of granite but the current state of our housing market. Right now, lending has gotten stingy and we may see the price of our homes drop even more over the next several years because of that. We wanted to fix our kitchen and believe me when I say, it is hideous and falling apart, but we also know that our investment could be a total loss down the road – possibly. My husband didn’t care which way we went on countertops but offered no other compromises. He does cook more than I do so he won... it is a kitchen designed by a man…. A man who cooks… I’ll just be glad that when I open a drawer, it doesn’t come crashing down on my foot.

mamatutu

mama to two
Formica has come a long way. When we were pricing, I almost went with granite because it has come so far down in price (less than quartz)... but 2 people who do construction talked me out of it. It wasn’t just price vs. durability factor of granite but the current state of our housing market. Right now, lending has gotten stingy and we may see the price of our homes drop even more over the next several years because of that. We wanted to fix our kitchen and believe me when I say, it is hideous and falling apart, but we also know that our investment could be a total loss down the road – possibly. My husband didn’t care which way we went on countertops but offered no other compromises. He does cook more than I do so he won... it is a kitchen designed by a man…. A man who cooks… I’ll just be glad that when I open a drawer, it doesn’t come crashing down on my foot.

Going nite nite, but just wanted to say that you are one lucky girl that your hub likes to cook! And, your advice on the countertops was a game changer for us. I have some of those kind of drawers, too!!:lol: This forum is one great place! :buddies:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Going nite nite, but just wanted to say that you are one lucky girl that your hub likes to cook! And, your advice on the countertops was a game changer for us. I have some of those kind of drawers, too!!:lol: This forum is one great place! :buddies:

hummm lucky??? :lol:

His enjoyment of cooking can drive me bat shiat crazy sometimes. We have an open concept downstairs so he can sit in our living room and see everything I am doing in our kitchen. One day I set up the video camera and later let him hear himself since he denied he was bossy saying I was too sensitive.

- Did you rinse that?
- You should add more salt.
- Did you coat that?
- I think that skillet is too hot.
- What temp did you put that stove at?

The list goes on and on. After he was shown the footage, he realized my irritation. I enjoy cooking but I've made it clear that when I'm there and he's in the living room on his butt, he isn't allowed to subject me to constant critiquing & questioning. :buddies:

Even his own mother offered me a free standing wall that she has in storage after she heard him rambling on one day. :lol:

mamatutu

mama to two
hummm lucky??? :lol:

His enjoyment of cooking can drive me bat shiat crazy sometimes. We have an open concept downstairs so he can sit in our living room and see everything I am doing in our kitchen. One day I set up the video camera and later let him hear himself since he denied he was bossy saying I was too sensitive.

- Did you rinse that?
- You should add more salt.
- Did you coat that?
- I think that skillet is too hot.
- What temp did you put that stove at?

The list goes on and on. After he was shown the footage, he realized my irritation. I enjoy cooking but I've made it clear that when I'm there and he's in the living room on his butt, he isn't allowed to subject me to constant critiquing & questioning. :buddies:

Even his own mother offered me a free standing wall that she has in storage after she heard him rambling on one day. :lol:

:roflmao:

It is always great to have a good relationship with your MIL!!! I have a hub who is set in his ways, also! Gotta love 'em! Our situations are so similar. I have an open floor plan, too, and my hub sits and watches tv while I cook. But, all he says is: Is it ready yet, is it ready yet, is it ready yet!!! :lol: But, he does help me clean up many a time because he knows he will get one of these:huggy:!!! :buddies:

acommondisaster

I'd love to see pictures of what you wound up doing. My kids were recently househunting and I tagged along a few times for advice. One of the houses had a white kitchen with black countertops. The cabinets were beadboard and the countertop was laminate. I was astonished. I have to say that using an upgraded edge makes all the difference - I would not have minded having laminate at all if it looked as nice as this house did. Kids ended up buying a different house, though that one ran a close second, based almost entirely on the kitchen. Loved the beadboard, also.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I'd love to see pictures of what you wound up doing. My kids were recently househunting and I tagged along a few times for advice. One of the houses had a white kitchen with black countertops. The cabinets were beadboard and the countertop was laminate. I was astonished. I have to say that using an upgraded edge makes all the difference - I would not have minded having laminate at all if it looked as nice as this house did. Kids ended up buying a different house, though that one ran a close second, based almost entirely on the kitchen. Loved the beadboard, also.

Over the past month, I have noticed an increase in foreclosures on the market - many with white kitchens. Some of these are done well, others not so much.

We are gutted and our floor gets installed today. I have often said weekend warriers put our house together and after gutting our kitchen, I cannot help but shake my head at all they originally did wrong with this floor. :ohwell:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Over the past month, I have noticed an increase in foreclosures on the market - many with white kitchens. Some of these are done well, others not so much.

We are gutted and our floor gets installed today. I have often said weekend warriers put our house together and after gutting our kitchen, I cannot help but shake my head at all they originally did wrong with this floor. :ohwell:
I can't wait to see the results of all of your work.

I'm jealous that you are finally going to get the kitchen of your dreams, while I still puddle away in my horrid space that someone calls a kitchen. I dream of what I could do in a beautiful AND functional kitchen.

Good luck!

Dakota

~~~~~~~
This is a picture of what space we have to work with (as they were tearing everything out - I took a picture). Over by the fridge, they did NOT have cabinets (what you see is something that I slide in there - didn't match the other side). It seemed like a waste of space. Our new kitchen will not have a corner turn but will utilize the space by the fridge with cabinets. We do have a free standing island going in. All of our Luaun is getting torn out which was discussed with the flooring guy before hand knowing the floor wasn't done right.

Our new cabinets on the left side of the kitchen are all but 12 inches from the sliding glass door there. Or if you are looking at the picture, it is the other side of that wall plug is where they will end.

Attachments

• Mid Model.jpg
    Mid Model.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I can't wait to see the results of all of your work.

I'm jealous that you are finally going to get the kitchen of your dreams, while I still puddle away in my horrid space that someone calls a kitchen. I dream of what I could do in a beautiful AND functional kitchen.

Good luck!

Thanks - this is the kitchen we could afford.... 'cuz if it was my dream kitchen, I'd have a huge ass viking stove. :lol:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
That is a really pretty house, but the photos really do more for the house than in reality.

A home builder constructed the house for himself and his family many years ago, and built on as time went by. As such, the rooms are peculiar, in that you have to go through one room to get to another room, and that sort of thing. No doubt, though, that it is a pretty home and was VERY well built.

The kitchen was recently redone, and the view over the creek is really nice.

That is a really pretty house, but the photos really do more for the house than in reality.

A home builder constructed the house for himself and his family many years ago, and built on as time went by. As such, the rooms are peculiar, in that you have to go through one room to get to another room, and that sort of thing. No doubt, though, that it is a pretty home and was VERY well built.

The kitchen was recently redone, and the view over the creek is really nice.
Aaaah! That explains the weirdness! As I was traveling through the pictures I couldn't figure out why the rooms were so cut up and the idea of navigation through them seemed awkward.... it makes sense now.