Kitchen remodel opinions

Do you like this kitchen photo attached?

• Yes

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I think it can, Dakota. White cabinets are not everyone's taste, but they can look very nice. Have you looked at Annie Sloan's chalk paints? Have a look at her site and some of the sites of people who use her paints - you might get some finish ideas. I think stainless will go out of style, just like black, almond, white have all had their long runs - so do what appeals to you. :)

I don't think the photo you posted is that bad–I actually quite like it. I do not care for the backsplash but I kinda like the wall color (maybe not for that room, though). If it were my kitchen, I would eventually swap out the white appliances for black. It doesn't look bad as is, but I think black appliances would add a nice contrast to the white cabinets. Everyone's aesthetic is different, though. Some people hate white cabinets, but tons of people have them so you know it isn't some wacky choice. :lol:

Have you checked Pinterest for more inspiration photos? I tried to look around but their search feature is HORRID. More often than not I get an error. :cds:

Good luck with the remodel! I bet you're excited. :lol:

I didn't think to check Pinterest :dork: and I do search there sometimes. I will also check out that paint website as well. I am excited to do the remodel but it will be March (at the earliest) before we get started. I just like to have a plan. All my appliances (except my stove) are new. I never thought I'd have 1 go at a time, months apart from each other all within the past year but I like white - so all is fine. I am unsure of flooring options too. I love hardwood but after close advisement, I have leaned away from that. We have a pool and I cook often (and spill things).... so I'm wondering if I'd be better off with wood (scratch resistant) laminate?

And Leonardo :lol:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I didn't think to check Pinterest :dork: and I do search there sometimes. I will also check out that paint website as well. I am excited to do the remodel but it will be March (at the earliest) before we get started. I just like to have a plan. All my appliances (except my stove) are new. I never thought I'd have 1 go at a time, months apart from each other all within the past year but I like white - so all is fine. I am unsure of flooring options too. I love hardwood but after close advisement, I have leaned away from that. We have a pool and I cook often (and spill things).... so I'm wondering if I'd be better off with wood (scratch resistant) laminate?

And Leonardo :lol:
We have wood laminate throughout in our house in NC (except for the laundry room and bathrooms). We also have laminate downstairs in the house we're in now, although it seems to be a lower grade than what we purchased for our home. It is pretty scratch resistant, but it isn't bionic. In the NC house, we have a small dent in the kitchen floor (not readily noticeable, but I know it's there so it bothers me) from dropping something heavy on it. No scratches though, and we have a 90 lb dog and a very active kid. The floors in the house we're in now have light scratch marks from what appears to have been someone dragging something across them, and it's in more than one room. We haven't scratched them at all, so maybe the people who lived here before us were just really ridiculous. They stained the linoleum in the upstairs bathrooms with hair dye so obviously we're not dealing with geniuses here. :lol: Water is the biggie with laminate. It's fairly tough - I use a steam mop and that's fine. You just don't want any standing water to sit on the floor. We had a bathtub overflow incident in the NC house and had to replace the flooring in the hallway and part of the dining room. Not fun. :lol:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I don't think the photo you posted is that bad–I actually quite like it. I do not care for the backsplash but I kinda like the wall color (maybe not for that room, though). If it were my kitchen, I would eventually swap out the white appliances for black. It doesn't look bad as is, but I think black appliances would add a nice contrast to the white cabinets. Everyone's aesthetic is different, though. Some people hate white cabinets, but tons of people have them so you know it isn't some wacky choice. :lol:

Have you checked Pinterest for more inspiration photos? I tried to look around but their search feature is HORRID. More often than not I get an error. :cds:

Good luck with the remodel! I bet you're excited. :lol:

Pinterest is buggy, but I dont think it is the search feature itself...either way..I saw a gorgeous white cabinet kitchen a friend pinned the other day..if I can find it I will post it up. And it's not usually my thing, either.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I really like this, it's not my usual style but its very nice. looks like super shiny laminate, and a really nice mix of white and natural wood.

Attachments

• farmhouse_table_darling_chic.jpg
    farmhouse_table_darling_chic.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 115

stars24

I really like white cabinets in a kitchen - it makes the space look brighter and bigger. And, if you're going to do white cabinets, I think you have to do white appliances. Black appliances would "jump out" too much and stainless steel appliances just look too industrial to me (I know I may be in the minority with that opinion). With the right wall colors, countertops and window coverings, I think white is always a clean, classic choice. It won't look 1950's at all! Good luck!

Dakota

~~~~~~~
This is a very pretty "white" kitchen. 49716 AIREDELE RD, RIDGE, MD 20680 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com

I've been admiring this house for more than a year. :smile:

:love: That is EXACTLY the paint color that I have been imagining for my white on white kitchen. Beautiful home... I betcha it will keep going down in price but why would anyone ever want to move if you are right on the water?

I really like white cabinets in a kitchen - it makes the space look brighter and bigger. And, if you're going to do white cabinets, I think you have to do white appliances. Black appliances would "jump out" too much and stainless steel appliances just look too industrial to me (I know I may be in the minority with that opinion). With the right wall colors, countertops and window coverings, I think white is always a clean, classic choice. It won't look 1950's at all! Good luck!

:love: I like wood cabinets but I have high end cabinet taste (mahogany, cherry) and I cannot even begin to justify that expense.... not in today's housing market so I am starting to think that I can pull this off. I want something different, open, plenty of storage and workable. My plan will deliver that....

One thing I noticed in Chasey's high end kitchen is there is no closet pantry so it reaffirms my opinion to get rid of my dumb closet that hogs up space and go with pantry cabinets. Just the wall studs alone will give me another 7 inches and with scaling the pantry I gain 1 foot. 1 foot is a big deal when space and storage matters. One other idea I got from Chasey's picture is the framing on the side of the kitchen island.... I like that.

Last edited:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
We have wood laminate throughout in our house in NC (except for the laundry room and bathrooms). We also have laminate downstairs in the house we're in now, although it seems to be a lower grade than what we purchased for our home. It is pretty scratch resistant, but it isn't bionic. In the NC house, we have a small dent in the kitchen floor (not readily noticeable, but I know it's there so it bothers me) from dropping something heavy on it. No scratches though, and we have a 90 lb dog and a very active kid. The floors in the house we're in now have light scratch marks from what appears to have been someone dragging something across them, and it's in more than one room. We haven't scratched them at all, so maybe the people who lived here before us were just really ridiculous. They stained the linoleum in the upstairs bathrooms with hair dye so obviously we're not dealing with geniuses here. :lol: Water is the biggie with laminate. It's fairly tough - I use a steam mop and that's fine. You just don't want any standing water to sit on the floor. We had a bathtub overflow incident in the NC house and had to replace the flooring in the hallway and part of the dining room. Not fun. :lol:

I have 2 cats and a 10 lb. dog so the #1 for me will be using furniture cups when I move furniture... which I have a tendency to do way too much. :lol:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I have 2 cats and a 10 lb. dog so the #1 for me will be using furniture cups when I move furniture... which I have a tendency to do way too much. :lol:
You have to be careful - if they're the kind with the plastic bottom they'll scuff up the floor. I would recommend the little felt pads that are sticky on the bottom (whatever they're called :lol:).

Dakota

~~~~~~~
You have to be careful - if they're the kind with the plastic bottom they'll scuff up the floor. I would recommend the little felt pads that are sticky on the bottom (whatever they're called :lol:).

I'm so glad you told me that. I would have scuffed up the crap out of the floor because I cannot and will not leave things be... :lol:

fredsaid2

I like the contrast of the dark countertops and light cabinetry in this kitchen. White appliances were a good choice. Black or stainless would have broken up the flow. Instead you see one cohesive space. I might have chosen a stronger wall color, something towards the primary colors. Same with the backsplash, something that better played off the dark and light concept.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
This is the kitchen that I've been dreaming about my entire life.

Rethinking the everyday kitchen - The Washington Post

Go through the entire series of photos....I think there are nine of ten of them. This kitchen is simply, positively, absolutely stunning.

VERY beautiful, tons of storage and counter space... So simple but so elegant - also that stove is breath taking.

The picture star posted could pass for my kitchen sink/stove area with the exception of the window above the stove - don't have that.

acommondisaster

I'd love to have all of those windows! Very pretty kitchen. And the table in the middle makes so much more sense than an island would, in that size kitchen. I would never have thought of that - but when you think how the kitchen always turns into the gathering place, how much nicer it would be to grab a seat than to have everyone standing around an island. I can imagine big holiday meals being cooked in this kitchen. :)

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Countdown to demo - 6 days... :yahoo:

We went with beadboard cabinets that go to the ceiling, crown molding, the upper cabinets have a high rounded arch. We went with knobs on the doors and pull cups on the drawers in bronze. Our counters are in this picture... so I guess we'll find out soon enough if we pulled off a white kitchen.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 123

mamatutu

mama to two
Countdown to demo - 6 days... :yahoo:

We went with beadboard cabinets that go to the ceiling, crown molding, the upper cabinets have a high rounded arch. We went with knobs on the doors and pull cups on the drawers in bronze. Our counters are in this picture... so I guess we'll find out soon enough if we pulled off a white kitchen.

Sounds beautiful! I have blue countertops, too. :yikes: We are having our kitchen redone end of this month. Is that Silestone in the pic because that is what we went with...actually looks very like our pick, which is Sienna Ridge. We are doing cabinet refacing, and adding a pantry that I never had. (house is going on 30 yrs. old) We put in laminate floors a few years ago, and everyone thinks they are real wood, and they take a beating and still look great. The main purpose of our remodel of kitchen/baths is so we can sell easier in the next couple years, but can also enjoy for a while. May I ask who is remodeling your kitchen, or are you doing it yourself? I read this thread, but I may have missed that. I know you must be so excited for your new kitchen! Enjoy!!! :smile: