Lamb

phreddyp

Well I got sold on the game marinade thing - so I ordered the Joy of Cooking. I was very surprised with the dozens of cooking books, we don't already have it.
You will not be disappointed! I debone the leg so it's pretty flat then cook it kinda rare over charcoal. I also add some soaked rosemary sprigs to the charcoal while cooking. 😋 yum

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My mom made a lamb shank on Sundays around Easter. It was ok, but could not get behind the mint jelly thing.

The only lamb these days is in those pre-made frozen gyros. They're pretty good actually. I doctor them up with grilled veggies and cuke dressing.
My mom used to do that too. That mint jelly is disgusting. I still can’t eat lamb to this day. It really upsets my stomach, no matter how it’s prepared, and I don’t like the flavor.

SamSpade

You will not be disappointed! I debone the leg so it's pretty flat then cook it kinda rare over charcoal. I also add some soaked rosemary sprigs to the charcoal while cooking. 😋 yum
Somewhere in my freezer are two legs already deboned. Now I just need a weekend where my picky eaters have an alternative if they stick their noses up at it.

Wife is currently on medication where she doesn't even like stuff she USUALLY likes - it's not uncommon for her to hand me a sandwich or a bag of chips, because it tastes bad to her. I have a boy who will eat ANYTHING - but just one or two bites. And another who won't eat anything unless it's Chinese.

phreddyp

Somewhere in my freezer are two legs already deboned. Now I just need a weekend where my picky eaters have an alternative if they stick their noses up at it.

Wife is currently on medication where she doesn't even like stuff she USUALLY likes - it's not uncommon for her to hand me a sandwich or a bag of chips, because it tastes bad to her. I have a boy who will eat ANYTHING - but just one or two bites. And another who won't eat anything unless it's Chinese.
I also let it marinade longer than it calls for by a day or so. Good luck!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Mmmm...lamb roast on the smoker. Sprinkled/rubbed with fresh rosemary...some garlic...sea salt.

When I was growing up on our farm, we raised beef. So we had lots of beef (and veal). After I left the farm, folks downsized and started raising sheep instead. My little brother was so good at shearing sheep that he won contests for that. So starting around 1982 or so, we got a whole lamb from the farm every year. We still do get a whole lamb every year. And a whole Angus beef. And a whole hog....

thurley42

HY;FR
We stayed up at the Wharf for a concert this weekend. Once we got back to the hotel the late night munchies were in full effect. I hopped on DoorDash and got some lamb kabobs and those things were amazing! My bulldog and I sat there and went to town on it while listening to the old lady snore over the tv:drool:

LJ1999

A local bar near me has a chili cook off. Last year they said someone brought in chili made with lamb....... I don't think I would like that.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Me too. Have some in my deli drawer - it's better than the stuff I've tried to make, myself.

EDIT to add -

Also - extra feta, extra tzatziki, cukes and tomatoes diced into really small pieces.
Where are you getting the gyro meat? I’m trying out different recipes to come up with a good version and I may be reinventing the wheel.

SamSpade

I’ll have to take a look, the wife doesn’t like them so I never go there.
I - - like ALDI. When I shop for groceries, I go to at least four places - DG for cheap stuff, like cereal that comes bagged (it is way cheaper and tastes the same) - ALDI for basics - cheese, milk, eggs, butter, produce, bread and some frozen products (like - frozen hamburgers, red bag chicken) - HT for a few things - Giant for the rest.

ALDI is great for stuff like lunch meat and sandwich cheese - and occasionally they just have cool stuff. Giant never carries frozen potstickers, but ALDI does.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I’ll have to take a look, the wife doesn’t like them so I never go there.
Many stores have them, I get mine at BJs. TIP: put the box in a plastic bag before putting them in the freezer. The garlic is pretty pervasive. And don't be fooled by the picture; all you get is the meat slices and the peta, and a small packet of sauce.

20240827_180147.jpg

SamSpade

Many stores have them, I get mine at BJs. TIP: put the box in a plastic bag before putting them in the freezer. The garlic is pretty pervasive. And don't be fooled by the picture; all you get is the meat slices and the peta, and a small packet of sauce.

View attachment 179168
Same with the ALDI version, except they sometimes have feta. One time it was there, another, it wasn't.

SamSpade

If you have the book " Joy of Cooking" try the (game marinade) on lamb. It is damn tasty and worth the work involved. I use it when I am making gyros. I've never had anyone complain and I've taken it to many Super Bowl parties and have never had any leftovers to carry home.
Ok, I must have a new edition, because there's no game marinade in the whole book that I can find.
Would you mind terribly forwarding it to me? Either here, or message me.

phreddyp

Ok, I must have a new edition, because there's no game marinade in the whole book that I can find.
Would you mind terribly forwarding it to me? Either here, or message me.
It is actually ( Lamb or game marinade) page 528
Combine
1 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
3 or 4 juniper berries or 2 or 3 sprigs rosemary
1 sprig of parsley
1 sprig of thyme
2 bay leaves
1 to 2 crushed cloves garlic
a pinch of nutmeg
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
a dash of hot pepper sauce
marinate 24 hours covered and refrigerated

I usually let mine marinate an extra day or so.

Last edited:

SamSpade

It is actually ( Lamb or game marinade) page 528
Combine
1 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
3 or 4 juniper berries or 2 or 3 sprigs rosemary
1 sprig of parsley
1 sprig of thyme
2 bay leaves
1 to 2 crushed cloves garlic
a pinch of nutmeg
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
a dash of hot pepper sauce
marinate 24 hours covered and refrigerated

I usually let mine marinate an extra day or so.
Thanks! Because it's not on my page 528, nor anywhere in the marinade, game or lamb section. Like I said, different edition.

And either the print was smaller then, or I swear, this book is so much bigger than I remember.

phreddyp

Thanks! Because it's not on my page 528, nor anywhere in the marinade, game or lamb section. Like I said, different edition.

And either the print was smaller then, or I swear, this book is so much bigger than I remember.
I am certainly glad that it was in my edition, I use it a couple of times a year. Hope that you enjoy your lamb with it.