Local police at their best...

itsrequired

Thanks for the insults and sardonic retorts. By the way I did a total of 35 years between 2 police agencies, just retiring in April this year. My point is two-fold. With an operator, that radar team was 7-8 police officers detailed to enforce the speed limit on Rt. 4. I understand the limit has been set. But those folks driving North at that hour of the morning were on their way to work, earning a paycheck. Why not employ a single trooper with his flashers on the note his presence and allow the folks to get a message that way?

So let me ask you? In your vast number of years as a law enforcement officer, you never did traffic enforcement?

Amused_despair

Oh the horror! Cops doing their jobs! What will happen next!

Wouldn't it be great if the cops patrolled neighborhoods and maybe deterred crime instead of wating on the side of the road to write easy tickets to people just trying to get to work? You know, maybe serve and protect instead of just being in the Revenue Collection area of the State and County governments? Or if they want to catch speeders patrol neighborhoods and catch the people speeding in residential areas where somebody might actually be harmed by a speeder? Of course less chance of getting a large number of tickets written there and it is after all a numbers game. As for the person who said "hope you never need a cop" if I do need a cop it wil be to take a report, because by the time they get to where I am the crime would have been already committed.

tommyjo

Thanks for the insults and sardonic retorts.I understand the limit has been set. But those folks driving North at that hour of the morning were on their way to work, earning a paycheck. Why not employ a single trooper with his flashers on the note his presence and allow the folks to get a message that way?

You've earned every insult with your asinine commentary.

So in your vast experience (of what sitting behind a desk ordering pencils?), it is your opinion that anyone on their way to work is exempt from all criminal activity? That guy driving 75 or 80 should not be pulled over? That a marked police cruiser with its rollers lit up is going to make him drive 55 the rest of the way to work? You must have spent too much time sniffing glue in the supply closet.

How about the truck driver who has massively exceeded his time behind the wheel limit? Do you let him just keep right on driving so he can plow into bus? He's not just on his way to work, he's actually working so that makes him even more exempt or worthy of sympathy using your logic.

itsrequired

Wouldn't it be great if the cops patrolled neighborhoods and maybe deterred crime instead of wating on the side of the road to write easy tickets to people just trying to get to work? You know, maybe serve and protect instead of just being in the Revenue Collection area of the State and County governments? Or if they want to catch speeders patrol neighborhoods and catch the people speeding in residential areas where somebody might actually be harmed by a speeder? Of course less chance of getting a large number of tickets written there and it is after all a numbers game. As for the person who said "hope you never need a cop" if I do need a cop it wil be to take a report, because by the time they get to where I am the crime would have been already committed.

At the same time that traffic enforcement event was happening, there were cops in the ranch club and at the beach in neighborhoods. Can you tell me where more traffic fatalities have occurred in Calvert County? Route four or in residential neighborhoods?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Note the "very few" part of my post :) Usually, if they pull you for ten under, it's either a Richard Cranium, or something triggered the ol' LEO sensor and they want a closer look.

I got my first ticket ever in my life in St. Mary's county, for doing 54 in a 50.

Yes it would.

calvcopf

Again, these are people GOING TO WORK while the criminal element was breaking into houses or just sleeping till 2-3PM.
QUOTE]

I agree with Greg 100%. Crime is rising, more drug dealers, addicts stealing and break ins. The cops might be able to solve some crime if they were able to peel their eyes away from the radar gun long enough.

itsrequired

Again, these are people GOING TO WORK while the criminal element was breaking into houses or just sleeping till 2-3PM.
QUOTE]

I agree with Greg 100%. Crime is rising, more drug dealers, addicts stealing and break ins. The cops might be able to solve some crime if they were able to peel their eyes away from the radar gun long enough.

So in Calvert where there were how many traffic fatalities, you believe the cops should ignore race track 4? Being one of those calvert cops, are you the fat man he was referring to?

calvcopf

Thanks for the insults and sardonic retorts. By the way I did a total of 35 years between 2 police agencies, just retiring in April this year. My point is two-fold. With an operator, that radar team was 7-8 police officers detailed to enforce the speed limit on Rt. 4. I understand the limit has been set. But those folks driving North at that hour of the morning were on their way to work, earning a paycheck. Why not employ a single trooper with his flashers on the note his presence and allow the folks to get a message that way?

Secondly, the Sheriff's Office has reduced its professional appearance by allowing the Deputies wear scruffy grey army style fatigues that resemble that of a plumber. Are they tactical officers? Why not wear their baseball hats on backwards???

Where is that LIKE button!

SG_Player1974

MY biggest problem with traffic enforcement in SOMD is the fact that EVERYONE knows where the problem areas are and what the problems are..... it's just that NONE of the local LEO are doing anything about it! I have seen several (about 5-6 times) where someone has almost been run over on 235 because some moron cannot wait for a traffic light and decides to race up the merge/turn lane to skirt the traffic signal through a parking lot! I have even called the the Sheriff's office 2 times about this!

I am not opposed to LEO doing speed traps but damn... how about we do some other policing of the roads as well huh??

I guarantee if you put a well hidden patrol car at 4 or 5 intersections on NB 235 between 3pm and 6pm..... people would be lined up forever awaiting tickets for evading a controlled intersection!

Last edited:

MMDad

Lem Putt

Actually, traffic enforcement is a GREAT way for them to combat "real" crime. Most criminals are stupid. They load their car up with a bunch of drugs, guns, and burglary loot, smoke pot while driving so the smell is fresh, have expired tags, speed, and do stupid driver tricks. Cop pulls them over, and Bam! Another one bites the dust (until they get released on PR that night and the charge is NP).

Suppose they were cruising neighborhoods? What crime do you think they'll find just driving around, ignoring people that are breaking minor laws and hoping to luck into something you feel is worthy of their effortr?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm pretty sure if your child or spouse were killed by a reckless driver, you'd be wondering why the cops weren't there to stop them. I'm surprised at the number of people who are defending speeders and those who cause accidents which delay our commute progress. Do you all just enjoy sitting in traffic waiting for them to scrape some idiot off the road?

itsrequired

MY biggest problem with traffic enforcement in SOMD is the fact that EVERYONE knows where the problem areas are and what the problems are..... it's just that NONE of the local LEO are doing anything about it! I have seen several (about 5-6 times) where someone has almost been run over on 235 because some moron cannot wait for a traffic light and decides to race up the merge/turn lane to skirt the traffic signal through a parking lot! I have even called the the Sheriff's office 2 times about this!

I am not opposed to LEO doing speed traps but damn... how about we do some other policing of the roads as well huh??

I guarantee if you put a well hidden patrol car at 4 or 5 intersections on NB 235 between 3pm and 6pm..... people would be lined up forever awaiting tickets for evading a controlled intersection!

Hmph. Funny. I was coming from the base yesterday at about 4 pm and I saw two unmarked cars who were pulling people over what appeared to be that very reason.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
Actually, traffic enforcement is a GREAT way for them to combat "real" crime. Most criminals are stupid. They load their car up with a bunch of drugs, guns, and burglary loot, smoke pot while driving so the smell is fresh, have expired tags, speed, and do stupid driver tricks. Cop pulls them over, and Bam! Another one bites the dust (until they get released on PR that night and the charge is NP).

Suppose they were cruising neighborhoods? What crime do you think they'll find just driving around, ignoring people that are breaking minor laws and hoping to luck into something you feel is worthy of their effortr?

Agree !!! The criminals seem very STUPID these days, a Radar detector is your friend, always have a Sacificial Lamb ~ 1/2 mile in front of you and you are good, LEO lights him up and you slow down, simple !!!!! Otherwise stop crying, they are doing their J.O.B.s

nobody really

I need a nap

well, i've never heard of someone calling the police and the police arriving in time to prevent a crime?

dontknowwhy

well, i've never heard of someone calling the police and the police arriving in time to prevent a crime?

Ive heard of a woman calling to report a B & E...then having to call back to report a brutal rape & ask for an ambulance...
But the police did meet her at the hospital...to take her statement concerning the B&E

glhs837

Power with Control
At the same time that traffic enforcement event was happening, there were cops in the ranch club and at the beach in neighborhoods. Can you tell me where more traffic fatalities have occurred in Calvert County? Route four or in residential neighborhoods?

So in Calvert where there were how many traffic fatalities, you believe the cops should ignore race track 4? Being one of those calvert cops, are you the fat man he was referring to?

Can you tell me how many of those fatalities were due to failure to yield and crossing the median? I'll bet it's far more than speeding. And should officers ignore speeding on RT4, nope, of course not, I dont object to officers enforcing speed laws, its' the ratio of time/manpower spent on speed enforcement waves (thank you federal grants) vice spending that enforcement time on the behaviors that are the main cause of fatal crashes. I know why they don't, but I don't have to agree with it. Depends on what outcome you want out of your traffic enforcement. If you want good numbers to justify further grants, and a presences to show the citizens they are getting what they want (even if it's not what they need) and to get your officers heads in a lot of windows to find real bad guys, the current course works just fine.

If you want traffic enforcement to make a real difference in fatal accidents, then no, the current course isn't the best way to go about it. I don't hate cops, and I don't hold them responsible for doing the job they are directed to do, if I get a ticket, I smile and take it, although that's rare, only once did I get one that wasn't fair.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ive heard of a woman calling to report a B & E...then having to call back to report a brutal rape & ask for an ambulance...
But the police did meet her at the hospital...to take her statement concerning the B&E

Yeah, wouldn't it be great if we all had our own personal cop who could stand guard over our homes 24/7 and accompany us wherever we go?

People always say stupid stuff like that - "where were the cops???" Well, unless the cops effing live with you, it's going to take them some time to get to where you are. First we want them to be everywhere, then we want them to be nowhere. Make up your minds, people.

glhs837

Power with Control
I'm pretty sure if your child or spouse were killed by a reckless driver, you'd be wondering why the cops weren't there to stop them. I'm surprised at the number of people who are defending speeders and those who cause accidents which delay our commute progress. Do you all just enjoy sitting in traffic waiting for them to scrape some idiot off the road?

Lets make it clear that generally speaking, speeding even at 10-15 over, isnt reckless unless the flow of traffic is at that speed limit or lower. How many of the people caught yesterday were being reckless? If the average on Rt4 is in the 60-62 range, then 70 isnt too far over that. Am I saying those people should not have gotten tickets? Of course not, they were after all breaking the law. I am saying the odds of one of those people actually being reckless is low, and of them running over children on that road at that hour less than slim to none. You give off this impression that anyone 5mph over is automatically driving like Paul Walker in a F&F movie. when in fact the vast majority of speeders just do that amount over and harm no one.