Local police at their best...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If the average on Rt4 is in the 60-62 range, then 70 isnt too far over that.

It doesn't matter what the average is - the actual speed limit is between 40 and 55, depending on where you are. So if the speed limit is 40 and you are doing 70, that would be 30mph over.

MMDad

Lem Putt
It doesn't matter what the average is - the actual speed limit is between 40 and 55, depending on where you are. So if the speed limit is 40 and you are doing 70, that would be 30mph over.

And what he isn't mentioning is that the speed differential is inherently dangerous. If everyone is going 70 and paying attention it is usually safe. But if you have grandma in the left lane doing 45 because her turn is in 3 miles, then the speed difference creates potential for some serious crashes. Since grandma is complying with the law, that only leaves one person to focus enforcement measures on.

Hank

my war
And what he isn't mentioning is that the speed differential is inherently dangerous. If everyone is going 70 and paying attention it is usually safe. But if you have grandma in the left lane doing 45 because her turn is in 3 miles, then the speed difference creates potential for some serious crashes. Since grandma is complying with the law, that only leaves one person to focus enforcement measures on.

Hence why there are multiple accidents on Rt. 4 or Rt. 231 weekly. You will never have everyone on the road at one rate of speed along with the same attention span...I travel these roads daily and can tell you people drive like frickin' maniacs....I welcome the police presence and ticketing.

Lets make it clear that generally speaking, speeding even at 10-15 over, isnt reckless unless the flow of traffic is at that speed limit or lower. How many of the people caught yesterday were being reckless? If the average on Rt4 is in the 60-62 range, then 70 isnt too far over that. Am I saying those people should not have gotten tickets? Of course not, they were after all breaking the law. I am saying the odds of one of those people actually being reckless is low, and of them running over children on that road at that hour less than slim to none. You give off this impression that anyone 5mph over is automatically driving like Paul Walker in a F&F movie. when in fact the vast majority of speeders just do that amount over and harm no one.
It's not the over by 5 mph'rs being pulled over and you know it. And you yourself mentioned that most of the accidents are happening during transitioning.... crossing over or pulling into traffic. Drivers exceeded the posted and expected speed limit make for situations where suddenly there is a car barreling on your that was not there the second before when you were looking left and right. I'll bet your bippy that that cop who was barreling down 4 at 80 mph and t-boned that teenager crossing over to enter her neighborhood was not in her vision in time for her to react and was certainly not in her vision when she looked, evaluated and committed to crossing. She died being burned alive because of a driver driving too fast on 4.

Last edited:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Yeah, wouldn't it be great if we all had our own personal cop who could stand guard over our homes 24/7 and accompany us wherever we go?

People always say stupid stuff like that - "where were the cops???" Well, unless the cops effing live with you, it's going to take them some time to get to where you are. First we want them to be everywhere, then we want them to be nowhere. Make up your minds, people.
:high5:

(There I go - agreeing with you again!)

MMDad

Lem Putt
Hence why there are multiple accidents on Rt. 4 or Rt. 231 weekly. You will never have everyone on the road at one rate of speed along with the same attention span...I travel these roads daily and can tell you people drive like frickin' maniacs....I welcome the police presence and ticketing.

Yep, and as someone already mentioned you can still do a decent speed, just don't be the fastest guy. They really are catching those who are pushing the limit past a reasonable point.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Aps will be on here momentarily to insist that grandma should either drive 70 like everyone else, or she should stay off the roads.

Exactly, it doesn't matter the average because my driving record and my insurance premium and my peace of mind is more important to me than someone elses road rage so I'm going to be following the laws of the road as best I can.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Aps will be on here momentarily to insist that grandma should either drive 70 like everyone else, or she should stay off the roads.

I'm a firm believer that operating on our roads should look like the chase scenes from Mad Max...vehicles and all.

MMDad

Lem Putt

I agree, but at his advanced age he better be careful. He's likely to be the next old man to have his license yanked for telling too many "back in my day" stories.

glhs837

Power with Control

Of course it does matter, because, as noted, it's the differential that causes issues. That why I mentioned the average. I never mentioned going 70 in a 40. But 15 over 55, if everyone is going 55, that unsafe. If everony is going 63 or so, then 70 isnt too big a difference. It's all about conditions. And that 45 person in a 55, they are a part of those conditions. Which everyone is responsible for being able to safely deal with.

It's not the over by 5 mph'rs being pulled over and you know it. And you yourself mentioned that most of the accidents are happening during transitioning.... crossing over or pulling into traffic. Drivers exceeded the posted and expected speed limit make for situations where suddenly there is a car barreling on your that was not there the second before when you were looking left and right. I'll bet your bippy that that cop who was barreling down 4 at 80 mph and t-boned that teenager crossing over to enter her neighborhood was not in her vision in time for her to react and was certainly not in her vision when she looked, evaluated and committed to crossing. She died being burned alive because of a driver driving too fast on 4.

I even said it wasnt the 5 overs being pulled over. First thing I said, or the second. Pulling in front of someone doing 65 instead of 55, or even 70 instead of 55 is a minuscule difference. What was that officer doing? I think it was close to 100, or over 90. That's a huge difference over 55. She died because an officer of the law thought his lights and sirens gave him magical powers. Ah, found it, he was doing one hundred and 10 freaking miles an hour. In a 45. So, more than double the speed limit. Not really relevant to the discussion about folks doing 68-70 in a 55. Folks doing 120 in a 55, sure, throw'em in jail.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/12/AR2009091200063.html

Homeland

I've listened to many of your arguments about police enforcing traffic. Correct me if I am wrong, but you seem to be opposed to them enforcing speed laws? I get that you don't believe speed is the cause of accidents but so what? I want the cops out there pulling people who are running me off the road over and giving them a ticket. I've never been pulled over for going six or seven miles over the speed limit and I don't really believe the cops do that.

Tell me what you would have them do about traffic issues if you were chief of police.

Amused_despair

So in Calvert where there were how many traffic fatalities, you believe the cops should ignore race track 4? Being one of those calvert cops, are you the fat man he was referring to?

How many traffic fatalities do they stop on route four by ticketing the guy trying to get to work? maybe they could spare a radar gun to clock the people driving in and out of the drug houses in the neighborhoods?

Last edited:

Amused_despair

Seems to me they could use fewer cops generating income on route 4 and have more patrolling the neighborshoods to deter crime. But it seems the only time the police patrol neighborhoods in force is when someone shoots at a cop's house. I don't think anyone wants to let the speeders to have a free-for-all on route 4, but maybe the police couild act as if collecting fines is not their primary duty.

What is it with all the sympathy for "the guy trying to get to work"? Why does that justify him driving at excessive speed and make the police the bad guy? Why can't that guy get up earlier or work through lunch or stay later rather than him habitually "speed racer" every morning?

itsrequired

Seems to me they could use fewer cops generating income on route 4 and have more patrolling the neighborshoods to deter crime. But it seems the only time the police patrol neighborhoods in force is when someone shoots at a cop's house. I don't think anyone wants to let the speeders to have a free-for-all on route 4, but maybe the police couild act as if collecting fines is not their primary duty.

Collecting fines? Cops don't collect fines and I have never met a cop who cares if someone pays a ticket or not. They don't get paid per ticket.

So you aren't for letting speeders have a free for all, but you don't want cops to enforce the traffic laws. Which is it?

itsrequired

because everyone always likes the guy going to work because he is different than the guy who is sleeping at home on welfare.

The responsible guy going to work is going to get up in time so that he doesn't have to drive fifteen miles over the speed limit to get there in time!