Lost Chickens

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Ark, I thought you were going to ask the chicken why she crossed the road :)

Glad all of your are safe and sound. Route 5 can be a scary place during rush hour.

:killingme

but it gave the people something to look at and pass the time!! :popcorn:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Ark, I thought you were going to ask the chicken why she crossed the road :)

Glad all of your are safe and sound. Route 5 can be a scary place during rush hour.

When I got back home, I took the time to cook and eat dinner before showering, and when I was taking off my clothes I saw a tick EWWWW. Well, there were 3 ticks! How in the heck did I get 3 ticks in half an hour in the grass? That's crazy - just how densely populated are ticks becoming? My rescue partner was the one in the woods (got NO ticks), I stayed at the edge of the woods to try and net the chicken when it ran out of the woods (chased by partner).

I think it's a hen, I took this picture this morning if her eating in the cage. I didn't dare open the cage door to get a better picture or I'd have been trying to catch her again - she's fast!

Attachments

• 2012-05-30RT5RT6RescueChicken.jpg
    2012-05-30RT5RT6RescueChicken.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 172

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Dare I say this ...... :crazy:

anyone else seen any chickens on the lam?

We seem to have a great tag team going at catching chickens. Let me also say that for those you of not familiar with catching a chicken, it ain't easy, especially when they are out in the open.

For the ride home I put the crate in the back seat and cranked up the a/c, the poor thing was out of breath and hot (the chicken and US).

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
PS - did anyone who read this post beep at me when they passed me at RT 5 & RT 6 yesterday about 7:30-8:15 PM?

OR was I just getting beeps from guys who thought I was hot? LOL

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
PS - did anyone who read this post beep at me when they passed me at RT 5 & RT 6 yesterday about 7:30-8:15 PM?

OR was I just getting beeps from guys who thought I was hot? LOL

maybe they were beeping cause you were running around like a fool... or getting the chicken!! :popcorn:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
maybe they were beeping cause you were running around like a fool... or getting the chicken!! :popcorn:

The beeps were when the chicken was in the woods and I was on the side of the road waiting for it to come out, when it did I missed it and it ran back in the woods!

I'm pretty sure the 4 different beeps I got were from folks who had seen the chicken before, and were glad someone with a net was there to try to catch it.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
:killingme

but it gave the people something to look at and pass the time!! :popcorn:

I can't believe that chicken got away from me like that ! I'll have to be especially careful with this one as she's a potential flight risk - get it? flight risk? uh ok never mind ....... :howdy:

tes218

We caught the lone chicken at RT 5 & RT 6 that was in the median on South-bound side and we were all over the median on both sides, and all through the woods too chasing that darn chicken.

After about half an hour later, sweating and out of breath we got it. I put it in the crate and the chicken spun around and got out, so the chase was on again, this time on the Southbound side of Rt 5 where my car was parked LOL. Within 5 minutes we had the chicken again and this time I turned the crate on end and lowered the chicken in, quickly latching the door <G>.

HI to those who beeped at me (Southbound RT 5). One of you in a pick up truck had a VERY loud horn and I about jumped out of my skin when I heard it LOL

Hey!! :yahoo: We were so worried about it when we saw it on Saturday so close to Rt. 5. Traffic was heavy and moving fast. Glad she decided to stay in the grass/woods there and not try to cross the road.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Hey!! :yahoo: We were so worried about it when we saw it on Saturday so close to Rt. 5. Traffic was heavy and moving fast. Glad she decided to stay in the grass/woods there and not try to cross the road.

Yeah I guess she found all the bugs she needed in that small patch of woods and the surrounding grass. I did see some water in the woods too, so she probably was drinking that water to stay hydrated during the heat.

I'm planning a trip to the Farmer's Market and the Amish Market on RT 5 Saturday, so if anyone knows of any chickens on the lam, let me know, and I'll round them up while I'm down that way.

millertc

:yahoo: Way to go Ark! I am so happy you rescued the chicken. I saw her last week standing in the woods near the light at Rt5/Rt6. I was afraid if I tried to get her I would chase her into traffic and she would get hit. I am so happy to know that she is safe with you. You did a very kind deed. :buddies:

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
We caught the lone chicken at RT 5 & RT 6 that was in the median on South-bound side and we were all over the median on both sides, and all through the woods too chasing that darn chicken.

After about half an hour later, sweating and out of breath we got it. I put it in the crate and the chicken spun around and got out, so the chase was on again, this time on the Southbound side of Rt 5 where my car was parked LOL. Within 5 minutes we had the chicken again and this time I turned the crate on end and lowered the chicken in, quickly latching the door <G>.

HI to those who beeped at me (Southbound RT 5). One of you in a pick up truck had a VERY loud horn and I about jumped out of my skin when I heard it LOL

I am sorry that I missed that show! :killingme

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
:yahoo: Way to go Ark! I am so happy you rescued the chicken. I saw her last week standing in the woods near the light at Rt5/Rt6. I was afraid if I tried to get her I would chase her into traffic and she would get hit. I am so happy to know that she is safe with you. You did a very kind deed. :buddies:

That's why I took someone with me. That way we chase the chicken toward each other until one of us catches it <G>. She shot out of the woods toward the road, but saw me and ducked back into the woods real fast. For a while she was hiding in some brush, and we tried to flush her out using a large branch to pat the thick growth.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Speaking of chickens, here are some of mine .... the silkies are not adults yet but Prince and Madonna are.

Attachments

• 2012-06-01_Madonna.jpg
    2012-06-01_Madonna.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 163
  • 2012-06-01_Prince.jpg
    2012-06-01_Prince.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 2012-06-01_Silkie.jpg
    2012-06-01_Silkie.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 160
  • 2012-06-01_Silkies.jpg
    2012-06-01_Silkies.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 165

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Wirelessly posted

How are your 1st 2 captures doing? Have you named them yet?

No names yet, and they are not laying, so they are still pullets. The 3rd one from RT 5 & RT 6 has been laying eggs since she arrived <G> - so no telling how old she is.

I bet there are eggs in the woods in the median from her week long stay there?

ontheriver

No names yet, and they are not laying, so they are still pullets. The 3rd one from RT 5 & RT 6 has been laying eggs since she arrived <G> - so no telling how old she is.

I bet there are eggs in the woods in the median from her week long stay there?

not to worry, the snakes will get them....?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
not to worry, the snakes will get them....?

I'm surprised she lasted that long there without a predator coming along. Recall of the first 2 we caught, there had been 4, they were picked off down to 2. Had I not gotten them they would have been gone in another day or two. I guess that's probably what happens to the majority of the escapees.

Roman

I bought two Chickens at the Amish Market about 2 weeks ago, because I felt sorry for them. I got their first Eggs this morning. I guess they have to relax, and get use to their environment before they lay? I named one Henrietta, and the other Blondie. Hey Ark, your Black Silkies (?) look like miniature Ostriches! They are all so exotic & good looking Chix.