Lost Chickens

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Funny- I saw some guy chasing that same chicken last week when I was getting gas there, he gave up when it ran across the street to the horses.

When she got close to the road I backed off. I didn't want to be responsible for her getting run over. I went wide and chased her back to the bushes which is where we ultimately got her. My helper and I have become quite the tag team. I chase them toward the helper who snags them. Takes a while to tire out a chicken let me tell you LOL.

She's quite a low ranking hen because even in my mostly polish pen (very mild mannered chickens) she is getting pushed around by a few of the polish, which is unusual for them to act like that. So I am keeping an eye on things to be sure I don't see any blood drawn.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
We want egg layers!!!

We don't have any now, but have an enclosure to put them in, now just need a roosting box..

Go check out Backyard Chickens - they can give you the details on the minimum you need to get started. you'll need to fence in the daytime area for them and have that covered with netting or the hawks will get them.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Go check out Backyard Chickens - they can give you the details on the minimum you need to get started. you'll need to fence in the daytime area for them and have that covered with netting or the hawks will get them.

Chickens got to scratch, Hawks got to eat..

I'm debating letting them roam on the property.. and just provide a roosting box.. We live far enough from the road, but I'd have to introduce the chickens to all the neighborhood dogs.

Or do I just keeping buying chickens until the dogs tire of killing them??

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Chickens got to scratch, Hawks got to eat..

I'm debating letting them roam on the property.. and just provide a roosting box.. We live far enough from the road, but I'd have to introduce the chickens to all the neighborhood dogs.

Or do I just keeping buying chickens until the dogs tire of killing them??

Free range chickens lay eggs where ever they choose which can be a new place every day. You would be hunting for the eggs daily and losing chickens to predators of all types including dogs.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Sad news ...

Sad news - One of the Oliver Shop Chickens has died. She was the Buff Orpington looking one. I think the Red Sex Link (RSL) gang did it. Found her with her vent picked out badly and she was barely alive when I found her. Poor thing! Had to have one of volunteers put her down for me.

The RSLs came from Tractor Supply last year in the Spring. They are good layers but this group has a few rather aggressive hens that will fly up to rip food out of your hand - never had a chicken do that before they came along. They have also been picking at Big Momma's feet so I had to move her to the Polish Pen. The polish chickens are some of the most docile chickens.

I am going to be forced to isolate those RSL hens in their own pen. I considered selling them at the auction in Charlotte Hall, but I can't be sure that whoever bought them would eat them. If they kept them as layers that could pose a problem to their other hens (if they have any). So decision was made to isolate them to a separate pen. This is the one that died (picture).

Attachments

• 2012-05-24BORescue.jpg
    2012-05-24BORescue.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 221

mamatutu

mama to two
Sad news - One of the Oliver Shop Chickens has died. She was the Buff Orpington looking one. I think the Red Sex Link (RSL) gang did it. Found her with her vent picked out badly and she was barely alive when I found her. Poor thing! Had to have one of volunteers put her down for me.

The RSLs came from Tractor Supply last year in the Spring. They are good layers but this group has a few rather aggressive hens that will fly up to rip food out of your hand - never had a chicken do that before they came along. They have also been picking at Big Momma's feet so I had to move her to the Polish Pen. The polish chickens are some of the most docile chickens.

I am going to be forced to isolate those RSL hens in their own pen. I considered selling them at the auction in Charlotte Hall, but I can't be sure that whoever bought them would eat them. If they kept them as layers that could pose a problem to their other hens (if they have any). So decision was made to isolate them to a separate pen. This is the one that died (picture).

I am sorry, Ark. I know how you love all creatures, great and small.

Roman

Chickens sure can be bird-brained at times. I increased their protein level to hopefully squash the cannibalism.
Sorry about your Chicken Ark. I just hate when that happens. Is the RSL in the same group of Rhode Island Reds? The reason I ask is because I can NOT integrate any new birds to my Pen. My girls would kill a TURKEY if I put it in with them. They are some vicious Chickens. Your girl was very pretty, and I am sad you had to deal with her dieing.

Last edited:

Roman

Ark, I forgot to add that I give my girls oyster shell calcium, dry cat food, and left-over food from my fridge. Also grass trimmings, and collard & kale, along with their Layena. Hope this helps.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Sorry about your Chicken Ark. I just hate when that happens. Is the RSL in the same group of Rhode Island Reds? The reason I ask is because I can NOT intergrate any new birds to my Pen. My girls would kill a TURKEY if I put it in with them. They are some vicious Chickens. Your girl was very pretty, and I am sad you had to deal with her dieing.

It's molting season and their protein levels drop due to their bodies making feathers but only certain personalities act out like that. Separating them will prevent a repeat.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Ark, I forgot to add that I give my girls oyster shell calcium, dry cat food, and left-over food from my fridge. Also grass trimmings, and collard & kale, along with their Layena. Hope this helps.

I gave my flock cut up fresh spring mix greens all Winter. I do give them leftover bread, made warm oatmeal for them when it was bitter cold, and have given them dried meal worms when I find a deal on them (they are SO expensive). I also give leftovers too, but we usually don't have much leftover that is still fit to eat (stuff gets left in fridge too long now and then and ewww).

There are some foods they are not supposed to eat:

"Raw green potato peels Toxic substance called Solanine.
Anything real salty Can cause salt poisoning in small bodies such as chickens.
Citrus .
Dried or undercooked Beans Raw, or dry beans, contain a poison called hemaglutin which is toxic to birds.
Avocado Skin and Pit Skin and pit have low levels of toxicity.
Raw eggs You dont want to introduce your chickens to the tastiness of eggs which may be waiting to be collected in the nestboxes.
Candy, Chocolate, Sugar Their teeth will rot No, its just bad for their systems, and chocolate can be poisonous to most pets."

Copied from: What can't they eat???!?!?!?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
This has been an awesome thread. Ark I will forever picture you in yellow and heels chasing a hen across Route 5 with a net. :lol:

:huggy:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
This has been an awesome thread. Ark I will forever picture you in yellow and heels chasing a hen across Route 5 with a net. :lol:

:huggy:

AND thank goodness I didn't end up on my face in the mud! She was always 1 step ahead of me it seemed!