Lots of sirens

somdfunguy

not impressed
Two people are dead, and you're concerned about "the poor people" sitting in their dry, comfortable cars, who are going to be late. At least they'll be home eventually. The people who died will never be home again.

tsk tsk

Now this thread isn't the place for it but I would like to see a discussion about the pros and cons of the reconstructing of an accident. I didn't now anyone still did at the scene reconstruction until I moved here.

SoMDGirl42

Now this thread isn't the place for it but I would like to see a discussion about the pros and cons of the reconstructing of an accident. I didn't now anyone still did at the scene reconstruction until I moved here.

They have to determine who is at fault

1stGenSMIB

This accident really sucked. But all fatalities do. I live nearby, was in bed, and heard it & ran down the street to help.

I am continually amazed at how many in this area are EMT's/CPR trained. There were several already on the scene attending to the people that ended up not making and I was there in about 2 minutes.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
This accident really sucked. But all fatalities do. I live nearby, was in bed, and heard it & ran down the street to help.

I am continually amazed at how many in this area are EMT's/CPR trained. There were several already on the scene attending to the people that ended up not making and I was there in about 2 minutes.

:huggy:... i want to thank you for getting out of bed and running to the accident to try to help in any way you could.... Thank you so much :huggy:

somdfunguy

not impressed
Wirelessly posted

All around the country they are able to determine fault without recreating accidents at the scene. It would seem safer to document evidence, clear the accident, and recreate in an office somewhere.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Wirelessly posted

All around the country they are able to determine fault without recreating accidents at the scene. It would seem safer to document evidence, clear the accident, and recreate in an office somewhere.

there are time were they do have to do survey work, take points by gps at that time as evidence will change as the weather changes.

Im sure if one of your loved ones passed in an accident... you would want everything set in stone to nail the person responsible for their death.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Wirelessly posted

Some call it "recreation" but is usually evidence collection. It's not like they brought in two cars and a motorcycle and raced to see how they crash.

In a crash like this where the debris is scattered, it's dark, the weather sucks, and they're dealing with the dead people, it's easy to see how it can take a couple of hours to do a thorough job documenting the scene.

I've seen this all over the country - what makes you think it's only done here?

somdfunguy

not impressed
there are time were they do have to do survey work, take points by gps at that time as evidence will change as the weather changes.

Im sure if one of your loved ones passed in an accident... you would want everything set in stone to nail the person responsible for their death.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not complaining about it. I am seriously asking about how the process is done, has it ever been reevaluated, or is this just the way it has always been and no reason to change. This was something that I wasn't aware still existed until I moved here.

somdfunguy

not impressed
Some call it "recreation" but is usually evidence collection. It's not like they brought in two cars and a motorcycle and raced to see how they crash.

In a crash like this where the debris is scattered, it's dark, the weather sucks, and they're dealing with the dead people, it's easy to see how it can take a couple of hours to do a thorough job documenting the scene.

I've seen this all over the country - what makes you think it's only done here?

I made an update to my post but it timed out asking if the word "recreation" is just throwing me off. What you have said is what I have experienced - evidence collection and documentation.

In other places there has always been an accident investigation team. Sounds like it is the same thing.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Don't misunderstand me, I'm not complaining about it. I am seriously asking about how the process is done, has it ever been reevaluated, or is this just the way it has always been and no reason to change. This was something that I wasn't aware still existed until I moved here.

:yay:

SoMDGirl42

I made an update to my post but it timed out asking if the word "recreation" is just throwing me off. What you have said is what I have experienced - evidence collection and documentation.

In other places there has always been an accident investigation team. Sounds like it is the same thing.

They don't call it "recreation" they call it accident reconstruction, not that the name of it means a hill of beans, but I do think you are correct in assuming your experience with the "accident investigation team" is the same thing.

First they have to clear the scene of patients. When a fatality is involved, the body is usually still on the scene for several hours while they begin the investigation. They take pictures, measurements, get witness statements, wait for the ME or folks to transport the body/bodies. Collect evidence, and many times it's dark and it's very tedious work. When all is said and done, they still have remove the vehicles and the debrey from the road, spray down body fluids or car fluids. And that's not even all of it. Sometimes they come back for further measurements etc. It's a lot of work.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So they were all traveling south on Rt. 4, Jeep/bike/Taurus in that order, and the bike rear ended the Jeep, causing the driver to lose control, then the Taurus swerved to avoid the bike and hit the Jeep?

MMDad

Lem Putt
So they were all traveling south on Rt. 4, Jeep/bike/Taurus in that order, and the bike rear ended the Jeep, causing the driver to lose control, then the Taurus swerved to avoid the bike and hit the Jeep?

That's what I understand, but sounds more like the bike came up on the jeep at high speed rather than just following it.

SoMDGirl42

according to the article, that is how I read it also. I do not believe the Jeep was involved in the race between the motorcycle and the taurus though.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
according to the article, that is how I read it also. I do not believe the Jeep was involved in the race between the motorcycle and the taurus though.

:whistle:

so i dont think we have the full story yet..

T & P to all

Katelin

one day the dark will end

In the "old" ( 1970's) days, we did this process by hand...no computers, no GPS, no calculators.
We would establish point of contact, debris drop and spread, take exact measurements from landmarks, usually telephone poles as they had a location marker, triangulate, and use these points to draw detailed charts of the accident. Weather conditions were noted, as test skids could be laid to determine approx speed prior to impact.

Accident reconstruction is not only evidence collection but physics.
You cant change the physics of cause and effect.

Sometimes there is a fault in the roadway that caused the accident, and the results from the AR report can causes road improvements, changes in the road surface, improvements in vehicle safety, changes in those factors that could have prevented an accident.
Northwestern University used to be the premier institution for learning AR. I was trained by another offer who was trained there. I still have my book and a nifty template used to calculate speed, friction factor, etc.
I enjoyed the mechanics/physics/math of Accident Reconstruction, but not the causative event.

But in this case, I doubt anything would have changed the outcome of this accident as you cant remove or fix "stupid" from the equation.