Lots of sirens

Roman

Don't claim to know the facts. If he let himself be distracted while riding long enough to miss the fact he was coming up on a car I would say that just isn't terribly bright wouldn't you? I have no idea if they were racing or not. Fact is though that the car behind him didn't have time to stop either. Did they both get distracted or do you think they may have been going too fast? I can't think of another scenario unless the SUV had no lights on or suddenly pulled out in front of the bike.
One of the articles I read, said that someone at the Scene was arrested for DUI/DWI, so I am ASSUMING there is a possibility that the Car behind the Bike just MIGHT have slammed the Bike in to the Jeep. Either way, it does sound like the Jeep was the Innocent Party here.

MMDad

Lem Putt
One of the articles I read, said that someone at the Scene was arrested for DUI/DWI, so I am ASSUMING there is a possibility that the Car behind the Bike just MIGHT have slammed the Bike in to the Jeep. Either way, it does sound like the Jeep was the Innocent Party here.
Double Fatal Accident on Route 4

Mr. Cornelison swerved to avoid the motorcycle and collided with the Jeep Cherokee.

One of the drivers involved in this accident was arrested for DUI/DWI. At this time SMNEWSNET can only confirm that the arrested driver was in a car that had collided with another car. It is unknown if he made any contact with the motorcycle.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
WOW. Wait awhile, okay? Listen and learn. We haven't an idea of what happened there. Jeep slows significantly (thanks to the new traffic light?), bike tries to stop but can't pull off the challenge, and then the Taurus hits the Jeep. Bike is meanwhile going for parts on the other side of the road. And its riders are airborne. So VERY sad and worthy of sensitive treatment post-mortem.

glhs837

Power with Control
WOW. Wait awhile, okay? Listen and learn. We haven't an idea of what happened there. Jeep slows significantly (thanks to the new traffic light?), bike tries to stop but can't pull off the challenge, and then the Taurus hits the Jeep. Bike is meanwhile going for parts on the other side of the road. And its riders are airborne. So VERY sad and worthy of sensitive treatment post-mortem.

If the bike couldn't pull off the stop, the rider was either out of skill, attention, or brakes. It's incumbent upon the rider to not follow so closely that a cage can take you by surprise, and be cognizant of the increase in stopping distance wrought by a passenger. And the bike did hit the Jeep, with enough force that it kicked the Jeep sideways. That speaks volumes to the amount of kinetic energy they Harley was packing, and since it is mass limited, that energy has to come from velocity.

The Harley Davidson motorcycle was being followed by a 2003 Ford Taurus passenger car, operated by Richard Kenneth Cornelison, 27 of Lusby, Maryland. The motorcycle approached a 2002 Jeep Cherokee, operated by Jacklyn Marie Cox, 21 of St. Leonard, Maryland with passenger, Katelyn Ruth Wilt, 21 of St. Leonard, Maryland in the vehicle. The Jeep Cherokee was also traveling south on Route 4.

Mr. Heller applied brakes; however, still collided with the rear of the Jeep Cherokee. The collision ejected both occupants of the motorcycle. After being struck, the Jeep Cherokee skidded sideways. Mr. Cornelison swerved to avoid the motorcycle and collided with the Jeep Cherokee.

Roman

Who at the scene was arrested for DUI/DWI? Certainly..it was NOT the Dead Man! Nor was it anyone in the Jeep! So how can anyone NOT see that there is a POSSIBILITY the Taurus was NOT at fault?? Not saying it was his fault...just sayin! We can ALL sit here, and point fingers, but it doesn't make it the correct answer as to what happened. If it was the Bike's fault, he & his Friend paid the Ultimate Price.

Danzig

Just throwing this out there.

What if, what if the guy in the Taurus was chasing the bike...

Chasing the bike to do harm to someone...

What if the Taurus was not owned by Cornelison, but by Holly Hope Fulwood, the female on the back of the bike.

And yes Richard Cornelison, the driver of the Taurus, was arrested for DUI. He might not have been "charged" yet, but he was arrested. It could be that you have to wait for a blood kit to come back before a person be charged.

Last edited:

mAlice

professional daydreamer

What if the Taurus was not owned by Cornelison, but by Holly Hope Fulwood, the female on the back of the bike.

And yes Richard Cornelison, the driver of the Taurus, was arrested for DUI. He might not have been "charged" yet, but he was arrested. It could be that you have to wait for a blood kit to come back before a person be charged.

Now, why would you do that?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

That's quite a theory...

MMDad

Lem Putt

That sounds an awful lot like 2nd degree murder, doesn't it?

Danzig

Now, why would you do that?

According to witnesses at the scene, one of the cars involved was racing with the motorcycle. At least one other witness reported the racing vehicles had passed at least one vehicle on the bridge and multiple vehicles on Rt 4.

Because it could explain why witnesses said they were racing, it could have been a chase, and not a race. And then we would need to look at the driver of the bike in a different light.

SoMDGirl42

If that's the case, he succeeded in his mission, both of them on the bike are now dead. Hope he's happy and proud of himself! :sarcasm:

Karma is a biatch. Now he gets to live with the sight of two people dying in front of his face for his stupidity.

Hank

my war
Because it could explain why witnesses said they were racing, it could have been a chase, and not a race. And then we would need to look at the driver of the bike in a different light.

Well, obviously you have the tag number and did a search...:coffee:

Roman

Thank you!
Again, I am not saying that I am right, but if the Taurus Driver was DUI/DWI, doesn't it automatically make him the guilty Party? I know that I am grasping at Straws with this, because I knew the Harley Driver, and don't like to think it was his fault.....

MMDad

Lem Putt
Again, I am not saying that I am right, but if the Taurus Driver was DUI/DWI, doesn't it automatically make him the guilty Party? I know that I am grasping at Straws with this, because I knew the Harley Driver, and don't like to think it was his fault.....

No, it doesn't "automatically" make you guilty of anything. Both drivers, or even all three drivers could still be at fault. If the Taurus driver did nothing to cause the crash, he is not automatically guilty just because he was DUI.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Whatever actually happened, I think that nothing anybody figures out will bring back the two young folks who died. I don't think it's possible to engineer roads (or anything else) that completely compensate for the human factor. There have been some thought-provoking posts worthy of a TV series here - and they may be very tragically true - as well as at least one post that addressed the physics involved with the accident. Although I think we all want to know right away what happened, I guess we'll have to wait while the experts do their best with what they have. I sure hope we can get the outcome whenever they're done. Why? Primarily to kill curiosity, but also to set things a little straighter regarding the people involved.

Having said all that, I'm still wondering my way through it as some of the rest of you are. So here are a few of my own thoughts.

Because the site is on my way to and from work I've driven through it a few times and done my best to catch what I can visually without slowing down or looking away from the road for too long. It's remarkable that the skid marks are all short, and mostly concentrated in an area between northbound and southbound lanes. Also, the length of the area that was closed off for the wreck seems short. The shortness of skidmarks and of the crash site make me wonder what the speed might have been (lower than one might think?). It would also be useful in conjecturing stuff to know if the rain had started yet when the accident occurred.

The post about the Taurus being registered to the female bike rider was intriguing. I don't know if it's true or not, but it's certainly a factor. Of course, maybe she was too drunk to drive and a fellow offered to drive the car to wherever they were headed so she could have it to go to work in the morning (or something).

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Young folks? Depnds on your age, but 37 and 32 are not spring chickens, and well into the age of reason. As to why push to know, when it wont bring anyone back? Same reason we investigate aircraft crashes, to hopefully prevent another incident of the same type.

Speeds could be lower than that stretch normally runs, I suppose, but even at legal speeds, a Harley would be hard pressed to alter the trajectory of the Jeep, I think.