Mail Fraud - Stolen Checks!

3CATSAILOR

Why hasn't this been on the local news?
It was front page of the County Times not long ago. That's how I found out about it. Shortly after that, it happened to me. Sheriff's Office took a report and will be turning it over to the Postal Inspectors. I am told the FBI is assisting with the investigation since the thefts may be tied to an international theft ring. Ironically I received a call just just prior to the arrival of the Sheriff Deputy. It was a person with a strong foreign accent asking what electric company I have. Is it PEPCO? Is it BG & E? It was my check to the Power Company that was stolen. I was able to stop payment before it was cashed. I got their phone number for the police. However, it was a burner phone.

• Wow
Reactions: BOP

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It was front page of the County Times not long ago. That's how I found out about it. Shortly after that, it happened to me. Sheriff's Office took a report and will be turning it over to the Postal Inspectors. I am told the FBI is assisting with the investigation since the thefts may be tied to an international theft ring. Ironically I received a call just just prior to the arrival of the Sheriff Deputy. It was a person with a strong foreign accent asking what electric company I have. Is it PEPCO? Is it BG & E? It was my check to the Power Company that was stolen. I was able to stop payment before it was cashed. I got their phone number for the police. However, it was a burner phone.
The postal inspector person I talked to when reporting our thefts was clueless...and with the sounds of kids and a dog in the background of the phone call. What a joke.

HemiHauler

I bet this pilfering of checks is being done at the behest of government. It serves as the catalyst to ease the transition to a digital currency. "This kind of theft won't happen with a digital currency." they will say.

Reactions: BOP

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That piece states checks being stolen out of mailboxes. Not the case here. Postal employees or their cohorts are stealing them out of the processing centers.
Exactly. All the hundreds of checks being stolen from southern MD businesses are being stolen after they are inside the USPS handling/processing system.

TPD

the poor dad
Exactly. All the hundreds of checks being stolen from southern MD businesses are being stolen after they are inside the USPS handling/processing system.
and what is being done about it? Nothing. This should have been shut down months ago! Just got of the phone with someone whose non-profit organization had a check that was stolen AND successfully cashed for more than $8,000. Luckily the bank worked with them and got their money back, but the hassle and time it took wasn't reimbursed. As she just told me, we are all now putting checks in plain white envelopes and handwriting or creating a separate address label before mailing, as opposed to just putting the check in a window envelope where the address is already printed on the check.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
and what is being done about it? Nothing. This should have been shut down months ago! Just got of the phone with someone whose non-profit organization had a check that was stolen AND successfully cashed for more than $8,000. Luckily the bank worked with them and got their money back, but the hassle and time it took wasn't reimbursed. As she just told me, we are all now putting checks in plain white envelopes and handwriting or creating a separate address label before mailing, as opposed to just putting the check in a window envelope where the address is already printed on the check.
You could always go with totally digital currency. I hear that's working out well.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
As I'd mentioned earlier, $40,000 of our stolen checks were successfully cashed. Our bank replaced the stolen funds, so that part was OK. But we had to shut down our working account with the various cards attached to it, and start fresh. That disruption was a real PITA since a lot of our vendors and customers had to be notified to use new card or ACH transfer information, etc. More than a month later, we're still dealing with that.

stgislander

PREMO Member
As I'd mentioned earlier, $40,000 of our stolen checks were successfully cashed. Our bank replaced the stolen funds, so that part was OK. But we had to shut down our working account with the various cards attached to it, and start fresh. That disruption was a real PITA since a lot of our vendors and customers had to be notified to use new card or ACH transfer information, etc. More than a month later, we're still dealing with that.
:gossip: Psst.... doesn't Sneakers' new avatar look like one of those symbols that PJay/Gurps posts about? :whistle:

TPD

the poor dad
It’s the small business guy like you and I that pay the most for this BS. We don’t have accounting departments to handle it so it’s left to the business owner to waste his time making all of the phone calls and sending all of the emails to straighten it out. Then dealing with the vendors who want to cut your credit off and make you pay in cash because the check bounced or was late getting to them or never showed up at all. I would hope the banks are pursuing this since they seem to be losing a lot of money making good on these checks that were bogusly cashed. It pisses me off that a government agency is never held accountable for their mistakes and we the citizens just take it up the ass!