Many cutting the cord on cable/satellite

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I started my 7 day free trial of Sling TV and after one day I have to say that I am pretty impressed. I have chosen the FOX owned channel package vs the Disney owned channel package and it even comes with the local Fox 5 station. https://www.sling.com/service/compare

Metrocast's most recent mailing about encrypting their signal and requiring a set top box was the last straw, you get a free box for two years, doesn't say after that. I also dont want another damn box to have to hook up to the bedroom TV, that's why I bought a TV with a built in DVD player.

I also got the new Roku stick for my bedroom TV, it is quite a bit faster than my older Roku XS on the living room TV.

I also got a Time Warner login ID (parents cable) so that I can watch ESPN.

I was confused by that notice but it really didn't pertain to me because we are only internet customers.

I thought new laws required them to make their product available online and in other venues. Tilted posted the article.

Now, as far as the firestick, you were right. The Roku has way more options. Since this stick is in our bedroom, we really don't watch TV that often in there so I'm leaving it as is. Typically we turn it on and watch something OTA for a few minutes and turn out the light.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Metrocast's most recent mailing about encrypting their signal and requiring a set top box was the last straw, you get a free box for two years, doesn't say after that.

We just picked up on that too! And I have not been able to figure out if every TV needs a box, or just the building, or.....??

I've had it with those clowns too...time for a different solution.

PeoplesElbow

We just picked up on that too! And I have not been able to figure out if every TV needs a box, or just the building, or.....??

I've had it with those clowns too...time for a different solution.

I can see them charging a monthly rental fee after two years, F them, I already pay too much. Sling TV is $20/month, I can pay for a lot of TV from Amazon for the $90 a month I save.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I can see them charging a monthly rental fee after two years, F them, I already pay too much. Sling TV is $20/month, I can pay for a lot of TV from Amazon for the $90 a month I save.

I'd be fine if I could access HGTV and local channels. I rarely have time to watch much else really. Others in my household want other channels, hence why we have an upper level package now instead of he basic lower level stuff. Even with the "package discount", it's still $170 a month.

Since cell phones now charge for data, how long before our internet service at home does the same? What then?

Chris0nllyn

Metrocast's most recent mailing about encrypting their signal and requiring a set top box was the last straw, you get a free box for two years, doesn't say after that. I also dont want another damn box to have to hook up to the bedroom TV, that's why I bought a TV with a built in DVD player.

It was only a matter of time.

Comcast did it a couple years ago.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Sling TV is $20/month, I can pay for a lot of TV from Amazon for the $90 a month I save.

But it still comes in via the Internet, right?...which is provided to us by Metrocast. $20 a month is better than the Expanded Basic..but without the Expanded Basic, I don't think we still get Internet.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
But it still comes in via the Internet, right?...which is provided to us by Metrocast. $20 a month is better than the Expanded Basic..but without the Expanded Basic, I don't think we still get Internet.

Hunh? :confused:

I get internet through Metrocast with no cable TV service whatsoever.

I was confused by that notice but it really didn't pertain to me because we are only internet customers.

I thought new laws required them to make their product available online and in other venues. Tilted posted the article.

Now, as far as the firestick, you were right. The Roku has way more options. Since this stick is in our bedroom, we really don't watch TV that often in there so I'm leaving it as is. Typically we turn it on and watch something OTA for a few minutes and turn out the light.

That rule hasn't been finalized as far as I'm aware. It was approved to be formally proposed. But after that there had to be a comment period and there could be modifications and then there had to be a final approval.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Hunh? :confused:

I get internet through Metrocast with no cable TV service whatsoever.

Looking at the their web site, that appears to be the case these days.

Good. That's at least a little positive news. Two of three accounts that I have are "Expanded Basic" TV service only because once-upon-a-time they required that as the minimum service to proved internet as well. Looks like there is nothing tying them together now.

sockgirl77

Looking at the their web site, that appears to be the case these days.

Good. That's at least a little positive news. Two of three accounts that I have are "Expanded Basic" TV service only because once-upon-a-time they required that as the minimum service to proved internet as well. Looks like there is nothing tying them together now.
You do not need to subscribe to any TV service to have their internet service.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You do not need to subscribe to any TV service to have their internet service.

I already posted that I see that now.

Glad they've made it that way...it wasn't always.

But for TV/video...I'm not sure that's going to work considering how crappy our Internet service.

TWL

Kernel panic: Aiee.......
I've had cable internet since 1998. At the time it was HSANet, then GMP and finally Metrocast. I didn't have CATV service until 2012. So for about 14 years I only had cable internet. IDK, maybe I was grandfathered from HSANet?

sockgirl77

I've had cable internet since 1998. At the time it was HSANet, then GMP and finally Metrocast. I didn't have CATV service until 2012. So for about 14 years I only had cable internet. IDK, maybe I was grandfathered from HSANet?

Nope. MetroCast is the only cable provider that I have ever gone through and I have never had to subscribe to TV services. I will ask a buddy of mine that has been there since the dark ages and get a definite answer on this.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It has been that way for at least 10 years. I am pretty sure that it has always been that way, at least with MetroCast anyways.

I've had cable at this place since it first came in...25+ years at least..so it's been several different companies along the way. Western Shore might have been what it was when we first added internet. Whoever it was, I'm 100% certain that we had to have not only TV..but it had to be the "Expanded" option, to get internet. I still remember distinctly being ticked off about the added cost because we were otherwise happy with cheapest Basic option.

Oh well...ancient history. Now to figure out a way around this stupid "add on box" mess. ;-)

Last edited:
It wouldn't surprise me if when cable internet first became available some cable companies only offered it as part of package with television services. It may not have been worth it, e.g., to bring cable to some homes if they weren't going to be paying for television services along with internet services.

But I've had cable internet where I am from Metrocast for about 10 years and I've only ever had internet service from them. When they came out to install it 10 years ago that was all I indicated that I wanted.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It wouldn't surprise me if when cable internet first became available some cable companies only offered it as part of package with television services. It may not have been worth it, e.g., to bring cable to some homes if they weren't going to be paying for television services along with internet services.

But I've had cable internet where I am from Metrocast for about 10 years and I've only ever had internet service from them. When they came out to install it 10 years ago that was all I indicated that I wanted.

It might (I dimly recall) have had something to with the equipment they gave me too. No matter now, I guess. I am concerned about relying on their unreliable internet for TV though...

PeoplesElbow

Verizon DSL here, which has been reliable after they cut off the foreigners down the road illegally tapped into my phone line using it for a telemarketing call center.